Opinion Is Buddy's nine year contract finally coming back to haunt the Swans?

Is Buddy's nine year contract finally haunting the Swans?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Any reduction of cap won't be counted n for existing contracts. The AFL have already said so. It will be a soft transition where new contracts count in full, and old contracts count on a scale (similar to the transition in the late 80s that allowed teams to still pay over until the early 90s)
Fair enough but the thought process of a player like papley is still there

Seeing someone in his twilight, injured on over a mil a year can only be frustrating when Paps himself wouldn’t be on anywhere near that atm from when he signed his deal 2 years ago

Think he's done his job. 5 years of being an undoubtedly top 3 forward (and probably top 2), and 1 half decent year.

So far they haven't lost players for it.

The trade ban, which was ridiculous as that was just the AFL being salty as they once again put rules in place without thinking clubs would look for a competitive advantage, was probably the main thing that harmed them for a couple of years. Buddy was part of that.

Overall I don't think you can judge a recruitment solely on a flag. If the player got you far closer to a flag than you otherwise would have...

God knows the 2016 Swans wouldn't have been favourites going into a grand final had their 2 key forwards been Xavier Richards and a rotation of Kurt Tippett/Callum Sinclair... People forget that. Buddy kicked 80 goals that year.

Today’s game is a prime example

Papley signed his deal a few years ago which would be way unders what he would command now

Now if papley is the type of person I think he is he won’t be happy that he’s undercut himself and has this deal for another 2 years meanwhile buddy is on 1.5mil next year

Don’t be surprised to see papley go and ensure he gets paid what he’s worth

Today’s game is a prime example

Papley signed his deal a few years ago which would be way unders what he would command now

Now if papley is the type of person I think he is he won’t be happy that he’s undercut himself and has this deal for another 2 years meanwhile buddy is on 1.5mil next year

Don’t be surprised to see papley go and ensure he gets paid what he’s worth

If you watched todays game you may have noticed the Swans are going through a rebuild...

Salary cap isn't going to be an issue, especially since we held onto money offered Daniher

If you watched todays game you may have noticed the Swans are going through a rebuild...

Salary cap isn't going to be an issue, especially since we held onto money offered Daniher
Yes but papley also can’t renogetiate his contract unless he leaves or wait till his deal ends in 2 years

Which if I was papley and I saw buddy’s contract I’d get the eff out so I could get a new deal that warranted the form and importance rather than playing in a poor side and not getting the appropriate amount

Yes but papley also can’t renogetiate his contract unless he leaves or wait till his deal ends in 2 years

Which if I was papley and I saw buddy’s contract I’d get the eff out so I could get a new deal that warranted the form and importance rather than playing in a poor side and not getting the appropriate amount

Papley wanting to leave has nothing to do with money. He wants to go back to Victoria for family reasons.

Think he's done his job. 5 years of being an undoubtedly top 3 forward (and probably top 2), and 1 half decent year.

So far they haven't lost players for it.

The trade ban, which was ridiculous as that was just the AFL being salty as they once again put rules in place without thinking clubs would look for a competitive advantage, was probably the main thing that harmed them for a couple of years. Buddy was part of that.

Overall I don't think you can judge a recruitment solely on a flag. If the player got you far closer to a flag than you otherwise would have...

God knows the 2016 Swans wouldn't have been favourites going into a grand final had their 2 key forwards been Xavier Richards and a rotation of Kurt Tippett/Callum Sinclair... People forget that. Buddy kicked 80 goals that year.

They had to trade out a bunch of players at the time (including mumford).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the point was to win a flag around 2015,16,17.

made the dance in 2016 and could have won it. That was the gamble.

Ask a Melbourne or Freo or North or whatever if it’s worth the risk of 3 lean years if you get a bite at the cherry.

It was a gamble, it nearly paid off if not for some roll of the dice umpiring decisions and bounces of the ball in 2016.

Id rather my team take risks and compete for flags than stay 6-10 in perpetuity. That’s a loser mentality.

LOSER.

the point was to win a flag around 2015,16,17.

made the dance in 2016 and could have won it. That was the gamble.

Ask a Melbourne or Freo or North or whatever if it’s worth the risk of 3 lean years if you get a bite at the cherry.

It was a gamble, it nearly paid off if not for some roll of the dice umpiring decisions and bounces of the ball in 2016.

Id rather my team take risks and compete for flags than stay 6-10 in perpetuity. That’s a loser mentality.

LOSER.
Don’t think anyone is saying it wasn’t worth the gamble

Just that since the gamble hasn’t paid off you are now paying the price of back ending the contract for no current reward

Bottom 4 for the next 2-3 years
With buddy’s contract taking up a lot of space in that time
Yeah but they might be bottom four because the rest of the list has aged out and now they're rebuilding. It's not clear they're bottom 4 because of Franklin's contract.

Why are North bottom four? Is it because they paid someone too much?

Yeah but they might be bottom four because the rest of the list has aged out and now they're rebuilding. It's not clear they're bottom 4 because of Franklin's contract.

Why are North bottom four? Is it because they paid someone too much?
No point being they will be bottom 4 and have 1.5 mil tied up to buddy next year

Our highest paid player is nowhere near that.

Let’s not focus on other clubs here and divert away

No point being they will be bottom 4 and have 1.5 mil tied up to buddy next year
It's not the reason they're bottoming out.

Our highest paid player is nowhere near that.

Let’s not focus on other clubs here and divert away
The point is that clubs bottom out as a matter of course, just as the Swans have.

It's not clear what "price they're paying" specifically for having Franklin on that money.

It's not the reason they're bottoming out.

The point is that clubs bottom out as a matter of course, just as the Swans have.

It's not clear what "price they're paying" specifically for having Franklin on that money.
Again not saying it’s the reason

If You’re bottoming out you wouldn’t want 1.5mil tied up to a 33/34 year old next year

That could be used more wisely

Again not saying it’s the reason

If You’re bottoming out you wouldn’t want 1.5mil tied up to a 33/34 year old next year

That could be used more wisely
Won't make a difference if their rebuilding through the draft.

Need to pay someone.

Buddy has 2 more years left on his contract and iirc his last year isn't as much. Papley has at least 2 if not 3 years left as well.

We bottom out now, get some games into our younger players, have a really solid core then when he does retire in 22, we have some nice cap space to go after someone else.

And if he can teach guys like McCartin, Blakey and McLean and make them better for the course, I am all for it

We win 14 and 16, and we don't have this discussion. But here we are.

Back