Unofficial Preview Round 8 vs Hawthorn. The Luke Brennan Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why?
what if they are sh*t?

otherwise why not recall reg grundy, teddy richardsm goodes out of retirement, at least we get nostalgia while they play poorly
For one, I don’t think they are s**t and the team is more likely to perform better with them in the side rather than another couple of teenagers. Gray should play Hewitt’s role as an inside mid. He has multiple games of 30+ possessions playing this role on his CV when playing for Port. Taylor is an upgrade for Warner as a small forward.

Structural leadership and knowledge I'd suspect.

Normally I'd agree but Wicks and Foot are not raw kids straight out of the draft. They both had a full season of full-length matches in the NEAFL last year, with the added bonus of another pre-season on top of the likes of Warner, Stephens, E. Taylor etc. They're more mature and ready to really contribute in these games IMO, and should be in the team instead of the most recent draftees, or instead of two "senior" blokes who haven't helped the youngsters out at all.

I understand some frustration with Taylor and Gray getting picked but there needs to be some experience and mature bodies in the side.

Reckon he might actually play some midfield minutes for you guys, given the lack of experience in your midfield at the moment. He was a good contributor at port when he got given the role.

I think they may be giving everyone a go this year. Likely 15 blokes being removed from the list if list sizes are being reduced. McInerney may have credits in the bank already. But I dont really know.
The only plausible explanation - but you'd at least think they'd wait a few games to get some games into Ling. Unless all the reviews of the scratch matches have been smoke and mirrors. Maybe they want to see what he has before he breaks again...

For one, I don’t think they are sh*t and the team is more likely to perform better with them in the side rather than another couple of teenagers. Gray should play Hewitt’s role as an inside mid. He has multiple games of 30+ possessions playing this role on his CV when playing for Port. Taylor is an upgrade for Warner as a small forward.

Gray and Taylor are both yet to do anything near contributing to better swans performances this year though

time will tell i guess

well florent is in for you so that pleases me

but no the selections are fine for a team trying to lose presumably, but people can spin it however makes them feel good i guess, the list isnt much to work with to be fair
Florent will have a blinder.
The 'Ling gets named at training' video must contain 30 blokes' jaws falling open simultaneously. Could become a meme.

Normally I'd agree but Wicks and Foot are not raw kids straight out of the draft. They both had a full season of full-length matches in the NEAFL last year, with the added bonus of another pre-season on top of the likes of Warner, Stephens, E. Taylor etc. They're more mature and ready to really contribute in these games IMO, and should be in the team instead of the most recent draftees, or instead of two "senior" blokes who haven't helped the youngsters out at all.
Yeah, but I'd imagine a bloke that's played 100+ games would be quicker to dish out structural advice and leadership than a bloke in for his first game. Wicks and Foot might eventually slot in more seamlessly than last year's draftees, but obviously the coaches want them in the side as much as possible to fast-track their adjustment to the level.

Yeah, but I'd imagine a bloke that's played 100+ games would be quicker to dish out structural advice and leadership than a bloke in for his first game. Wicks and Foot might eventually slot in more seamlessly than last year's draftees, but obviously the coaches want them in the side as much as possible to adjust to the level.

Yeah well I'd imagine a bloke that's played 100+ games wouldn't turn up to day one of pre-season looking like my fat uncle on an inflatable in Bali too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some posters are absolutely affronted that Foot and Wicks aren’t getting picked. “What else do they have to do?”

I love the arrogance of these posts. What have they done? Are people going to training sessions and scratch matches to see what the MC are seeing?

Never change people. 😂

Yeah well I'd imagine a bloke that's played 100+ games wouldn't turn up to day one of pre-season looking like my fat uncle on an inflatable in Bali too
Make another 10000 fat jokes about Lewis Taylor and they might start being funny.

in theory that works, but what experince do taylor and gray actually give us? neither deserves a spot on from, nor can find the ball, nor tasted any real success at this level

I gave my reasons to what they actually give us. Taylor and Grey on form alone shouldn't be getting games but when Heeney, Hewitt, Kennedy and Heyward go down with injuries we aren't picking from a rich list of options, unless you want to see more of the type of play we saw in the Richmond game?

We are blooding as many as we can with more and more senior support dropping around them each week than I can ever recall seeing in my time watching this club. We are about to reach a stage where even the kids themselves will need to be replaced. So playing Taylor and Grey is helping ease the load more than anything else.

Hewett having a back operation and out for 6-8 weeks.

Parker, Rowbottom and Florent are our first choice inside mids. But we will need players like Clarke, Bell, Gray and possibly Mills to play more inside midfield for the rest of the season.

I think it is a opportunity for Bell. He got good reviews for his hardness as an inside midfielder in the scratch matches. He also seems an ok runner. So may be able to offer something to our inside midfield.

Make another 10000 fat jokes about Lewis Taylor and they might start being funny.

They are funny.

At the end of the day no one is saying he is a whale, but he is out of shape and he's being paid six figures to be an athlete.

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for him tbh.

Nor should you, nor do his team-mates. Have you not heard Sinclair and co roasting him about it on almost every edition of his podcast?

They are funny.

At the end of the day no one is saying he is a whale, but he is out of shape and he's being paid six figures to be an athlete.

Nor should you, nor do his team-mates. Have you not heard Sinclair and co roasting him about it on almost every edition of his podcast?
Obviously we have different opinions on the Lewis fat jokes.
Just find them boring, personally. Every time I've tried to discuss Lewis Taylor on here this season, I've been met with fat jokes rather than reasonable statistical and evidence based reasoning about why he can't play a role in the side.

Was one of our best against Essendon.

Last edited:
The only plausible explanation - but you'd at least think they'd wait a few games to get some games into Ling. Unless all the reviews of the scratch matches have been smoke and mirrors. Maybe they want to see what he has before he breaks again...

Problem is outsiders watching scratch matches generally focus on what players do with the ball. From all reports he has been playing as a small defender and he replaced COR who seems to be playing as a small defender (Nick Smith style). So perhaps Ling coming in to replace him now he has some miles in his legs isn’t as odd as it seems?

They are funny.

glad the whale roberts isnt on the list then, wouldnt be able to talk about him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back