Unofficial Preview Round 8 vs Hawthorn. The Luke Brennan Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just find them boring, personally. Every time I've tried to discuss Lewis Taylor on here this season, I've been met with fat jokes rather than reasonable statistical and evidenced base reasoning about why he can't play a role in the side.

Was one of our best against Essendon.

He can't play a role in the side because his pressure is poor. Which, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, is because he is out of shape and cannot chase and harass and create run and carry like Papley etc can. So if you can't discuss Taylor without his weight coming up, take it up with Taylor. It's in his control.

Problem is outsiders watching scratch matches generally focus on what players do with the ball. From all reports he has been playing as a small defender and he replaced COR who seems to be playing as a small defender (Nick Smith style). So perhaps Ling coming in to replace him now he has some miles in his legs isn’t as odd as it seems?

I did say a few weeks ago that Ling would never bang the door down as he's a low-possession player in the back-half. Whether I like that for him or not is irrelevant, it was always going to take things like his body-work and work rate off the ball to get him selected, so I'm glad Horse took the punt.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Very weird feeling seeing these selections.

Happy for Ling, hopefully he comes good so we can stop hearing people cry "BUST".

Grey and Taylor fall into the same bucket, I guess we shouldn't to far down the youth track, don't want to end up with a team of <23 year olds.

Happy for Bell, though I have a feeling he's days are limited if he can't show anything.

I like Reid, others don't, nothing more needs to be said.

Blakey should've been dropped, I'm assuming Wicks and Foot will get their chance. Pretty raw deal, but I'm sure they'll be worth the wait.

Half the team is 23 years of age or younger. 13 of the team have played over 50 games of senior football, of which 7 have played over 100 games.

Playing Grey and Taylor adds two players that have played over 100 games of senior football and stops the team being solidly in the under 23 age bracket by majority.

With the players we have out injured and the lack of experience we have in our side, we can't keep playing kids without providing them support that allows them to develop. The likes of Foot, Wicks and Gould will get their chances in the coming weeks and we'll play players that some of us don't want near the side.

We don't have many options left.

L Taylor and Grey have offered sfa. Having a fat little bloke and another average one stumble about for under 10 possies does not give much support to younger players.

Blakey is selected by the Marketing Dept. After his thrilling 4 possessions last week there must be a comp at the Hawks to get the gig on him.

Of the other Ins, Reid will help and I am delighted for Ling and Bell. Surely Wicks and Foot are next in line.

Of the outs Warner has got a couple of games but showed little. Suspect his card has been marked as not up to playing in a BP. COR was expected to go anyway. Not sure what Studs injury is but I expect it is a broken compass.

I gave my reasons to what they actually give us. Taylor and Grey on form alone shouldn't be getting games but when Heeney, Hewitt, Kennedy and Heyward go down with injuries we aren't picking from a rich list of options, unless you want to see more of the type of play we saw in the Richmond game?

We are blooding as many as we can with more and more senior support dropping around them each week than I can ever recall seeing in my time watching this club. We are about to reach a stage where even the kids themselves will need to be replaced. So playing Taylor and Grey is helping ease the load more than anything else.

I dont think Taylor or Gray , especially gray will go close to contributing positively to the game or stopping us being ordinary despite age and experince, may as well blood a kid. i agree with the principle if it was a worhwhile player, which we don't have to bring in of course

time will tell, hopefully they both play decent footy

Some posters are absolutely affronted that Foot and Wicks aren’t getting picked. “What else do they have to do?”

I love the arrogance of these posts. What have they done? Are people going to training sessions and scratch matches to see what the MC are seeing?

Never change people. 😂
Problem is outsiders watching scratch matches generally focus on what players do with the ball. From all reports he has been playing as a small defender and he replaced COR who seems to be playing as a small defender (Nick Smith style). So perhaps Ling coming in to replace him now he has some miles in his legs isn’t as odd as it seems?
Commentators also routinely include the Crouch brothers in Adelaide's bests even though anyone that's actually watched them this season would know they've been two of their worst players.

I dont think Taylor or Gray , especially gray will go close to contributing positively to the game or stopping us being ordinary despite age and experince, may as well blood a kid. i agree with the principle if it was a worhwhile player, which we don't have to bring in of course

time will tell, hopefully they both play decent footy

Do you have an album called Time Will Tell coming out that you're trying to promote or something?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Hewett having a back operation and out for 6-8 weeks.

Parker, Rowbottom and Florent are our first choice inside mids. But we will need players like Clarke, Bell, Gray and possibly Mills to play more inside midfield for the rest of the season.

I think it is a opportunity for Bell. He got good reviews for his hardness as an inside midfielder in the scratch matches. He also seems an ok runner. So may be able to offer something to our inside midfield.

Far out back surgeries are the absolute worst to get right

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I did say a few weeks ago that Ling would never bang the door down as he's a low-possession player in the back-half. Whether I like that for him or not is irrelevant, it was always going to take things like his body-work and work rate off the ball to get him selected, so I'm glad Horse took the punt.

Nice to have a creative kick of the ball in the back half.

Last edited:
Do you have an album called Time Will Tell coming out that you're trying to promote or something?

its quicker than typing what you are saying is complete s**t but i guess theres a 2% chance you will be right

Gotta be happy for any kid that can keep pushing and gets a game of afl footy that for sure

its a nice story, he has had enough set backs

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
They sure are putting the small into Small Defender. Anyway looking forward to watching him now I'm over the shock.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Don’t mind Gray playing but can he play inside mid please enough of this small forward thing he was awful at Port doing this role

Apparently played inside in the scratch matches and someone said he isn’t an inside player and won’t put his body on the line...

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Not the changes I would have made but happy to go along with the ride.

Gray & Taylor are better players than we've seen. Looking forward to them getting back to their level

Bell I didn't think was all that much but I wasn't impressed with McInerney last year either. Keen to check him out again

Ling - absolute awesome stuff. He just needs to contribute. We need his kicking and speed

Reid is our second best forward after Buddy. His ceiling might be getting smaller but he still contributes more than McCartin or Blakey do today

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As for the changes its nothing surprising its a fortnightly rotation of Gray, Taylor going in and out of the side.

I hate bagging our players i have no doubt Bell tries hard but im not sure what he offers to the side and looked out of his place.

Crosses fingers Reid gets through the game, Ling! Ling holy s**t didnt think he was on the radar at all.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Ling will probably wish he was in the SCG dungeon once he enters our back-line. "**** me, it's coming in AGAIN?"
At least he'll get a tonne of chances, a bit like Stoddart did.
IMO, if I need him to show one thing, class vs possessions vs speed, I want class. If he shows that and botches everything else I'm happy.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
Not the changes I would have made but happy to go along with the ride.

Gray & Taylor are better players than we've seen. Looking forward to them getting back to their level

Bell I didn't think was all that much but I wasn't impressed with McInerney last year either. Keen to check him out again

Ling - absolute awesome stuff. He just needs to contribute. We need his kicking and speed

Reid is our second best forward after Buddy. His ceiling might be getting smaller but he still contributes more than McCartin or Blakey do today
Reid is in the top five for beating his man inside fifty.
Buddy and dusty in that list.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Forgot to mention this.

FIVE CHANGES!!!
That's a quarter of the team, it's going to be hard to win many games when that many new players are coming in. I hope our injuries end soon, because we really can't sustain 5 changes a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back