Random Science news and articles

Remove this Banner Ad

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This was what I was hoping to see

Another possibility is that they enabled organisms to share nutrients, a prehistoric version of the 'wood wide web' observed in modern-day trees.
Very funny, but possible.
I wonder if the networks could be a step between sessile animals and actively mobile ones. Most Ediacaran fauna is sessile but come the Cambrian 'explosion' many forms of mobile critters appeared, including some which are probably the ancestors of current phyla.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had never heard of these 'Robber Crabs' on Xmas island - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...ick-expensive-thermal-imaging-camera/12043754 While it's not strictly a science article, it does show significant intelligence in the animal. I think animal intelligence, especially in non vertebrates is vastly underestimated.

Another crustacean related article that is very interesting but clearly is cautionary to Aquarium owners. You must be very careful of what X rated activity goes on in your aquarium https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...t-may-have-given-crayfish-dna-take-over-world The Marbled crayfish is an invasive freshwater species suspected to have been created through a reproductive accident in an aquarium around 1995. A new analysis of the crustacean’s genome supports this unlikely origin and may help explain how the animal has subsequently spread and adapted to so many new environments.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
HAWKS FORBIDDEN LOVE

So the headlined screamed.
Oh gosh, someone's been outed. With trepidation I clicked the link.
Strangely turned out to involve birds

That's a hybrid from 2 different genera, quite a distance genetically. Nature finds a way.

I'm writing a romantic comedy script for Disney, to be turned into an animated feature film. Bigger than Mulan.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The physicists (Werewolf), molecular & analytical chemists would find this interesting:

1589417160768.png

Article:

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is an interesting article about the domestication of cats, or perhaps the domestication of humans by cats https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07/how-ancient-cats-lived-on-the-brink-of-domestication/ Cats and people only go back as far as the start of agriculture which is very different to humans and dogs/wolves, the relationship may go back a very long time. Genetic divergence of modern dogs from wolves is pegged at about 32,000 ya. I would guess the genetic divergence would follow after a long period of domestication of wolves. There is some evidence of wolves cooperatively hunting with even older humans. There is even a theory that the H sapiens dogs help drive the Neanderthals extinct see https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-04-23/man-s-best-friend-may-have-been-neanderthal-s-downfall. I guess that's how you ear the moniker 'Man's best friend'.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hello to all you beautiful sciencey folk.

I didn't think this was worthy of its own thread, but has anyone else noticed that the Google algorithm has become less scientific over time? Particularly when it comes to drugs and medications.

I have taken the SNRI anti depressant Pristiq for 5 years, and am currently weaning off the drug with specific instructions on how to do so from my psychiatrist.

I have spent the past 48 hours puking and sweating and shaking, merely from slowly reducing my dose.

I performed a Google search on my withdrawal symptoms, and this is the first result I received:

Screenshot_20200723-153827_Brave-288x592.jpg

Great, thanks Google. Now read the first 2 sentences on this page. I have no tertiary level understanding of science, but I'm pretty sure my year 9 science teacher would be pissed if he saw this as the first Google result:

Screenshot_20200723-152936_Brave-288x592.jpg

The rest of the first 10 google results were not much better. Result number 3 claimed to have helped people from 78 countries get off Pristiq... yet it has only ever been sold in 3 countries (America, Canada, Australia).

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello to all you beautiful sciencey folk.

I didn't think this was worthy of its own thread, but has anyone else noticed that the Google algorithm has become less scientific over time? Particularly when it comes to drugs and medications.

I have taken the SNRI anti depressant Pristiq for 5 years, and am currently weaning off the drug with specific instructions on how to do so from my psychiatrist.

I have spent the past 48 hours puking and sweating and shaking, merely from slowly reducing my dose.

I performed a Google search on my withdrawal symptoms, and this is the first result I received:

View attachment 917713

Great, thanks Google. Now read the first 2 sentences on this page. I have no tertiary level understanding of science, but I'm pretty sure my year 9 science teacher would be pissed if he saw this as the first Google result:

View attachment 917714

The rest of the first 10 google results were not much better. Result number 3 claimed to have helped people from 78 countries get off Pristiq... yet it has only ever been sold in 3 countries (America, Canada, Australia).
It's rubbish that ''you should never stop Pritiq'. Absolute rubbish, suspect it's a big Pharma sponsored post!
Your symptoms are common. It's a pretty short half life drug compared to many antidepressants, so withdrawal will possibly a bit quicker and more rugged.
I have to ask 2 questions
1. You are doing this under your psychiatrists care?
2. You haven't been started on anything else or changed dose of another drug?
PM me if you want

If any animal is cloned and the species revived, may it be the woolly mammoth! No dinosaurs please. Jurassic park movies never ended well :eek:

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's rubbish that ''you should never stop Pritiq'. Absolute rubbish, suspect it's a big Pharma sponsored post!
Your symptoms are common. It's a pretty short half life drug compared to many antidepressants, so withdrawal will possibly a bit quicker and more rugged.
I have to ask 2 questions
1. You are doing this under your psychiatrists care?
2. You haven't been started on anything else or changed dose of another drug?
PM me if you want
Thanks for your reply, I apologise that I somehow missed it.

For the record, I have been on and off cocktails of psychiatric drugs for 16 years. Pretty well all the common anti depressants, anti psychotics, and mood stabilisers (Valproic Acid and Lithium) I have experience with, all under the supervision of psychiatrists (not GPs).

Pristiq is the first drug to cause me any such grief. Coming off the others would give me a period of insomnia, at the worst. Pristiq (and I continue to take IR Seroquel) is the only drug to have serious withdrawals for me. Today's my first day taking no Pristiq at all (I have weaned down from 300mg to 0mg per my psychiatrist advice).

I can't really explain the feeling in words, but every night I feel like my skin is on fire and I'm lucky if I get even 4 hours sleep, which consist of vivid nightmares.

I have been told (unverified) that Pristiq and Effexor may hit opiate receptors in addition to their role as SNRIs, which could explain why they have some benefits for those with chronic pain disorders, and also perhaps why they give the heroin-tier withdrawals that I continue to experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back