Review AFL R8 vs Western Bulldogs @Metricon- Thursday 23 July 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Maybe the coaches think its a big gap from playing AFL to....

Bont didn't even do anything, got most of his touches at half back and went 35% tonight. Got held pretty well tonight. Someone like Bailey Smith was the killer tonight in their midfield.
Thought when they needed to win a clearance he was there to just get them forward or to put someone into space. Or to take that mark at the end.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
I'm fuming as we blew our chance to win that game but it was a tight game all night both sides defences alot stronger than their attack. Would be nice if there were more marks in our forward 50, just wasteful kicking which led to Crozier, JJ, Keath, Wood, Daniel rebounding with ease. Ranks 1.4 eh we take the bad with the good i guess

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Just saw the vision, hats off and full respect to young Powell, that is sportsmanship personified.

I bet he will be thinking about that now given the margin, if it was deemed touched the game would have been a draw. Regardless, he has set a standard that other players in the league should follow.

As for getting pipped by the Dogs, there is no shame in that. They are a very good team, you have to play to your best and for the full allotted time to beat them.

I'm really enjoying seeing the Suns doing well this year. I really want the code to succeed in the expansion areas hence why I became a Foundation Giants member here in Sydney. Anything that gives rugby league a smacking is alright in my book.

The vast majority of opposition fans on BF have thrown a bucket-load of s**t at your club over the past few years suggesting they shouldn't be there and are a blight on the competition. I'm sure there are a few rethinking their position on that now too !!!

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I thought the ruck strategy was interesting, having Witts almost tag English, ended up working a treat, having Swallow and Greenwood contest the throw ins was interesting don't know if it made a hell of a lot of difference, but good to see the coaches trying new things.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Good game tonight. Think it was a great effort from both sides and we were lucky to be up when the siren went.

Thought you guys brought the pressure from first bounce and held it throughout the game. Dominated that second quarter but didn’t put it on the scoreboard which probably ended up being costly.

Have only seen the Suns a few times this season and have been impressed. Was even more impressed after today. Think you guys will have a good season and looking forward to watching them. Definitely one of the more exciting teams at the moment.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
I thought the ruck strategy was interesting, having Witts almost tag English, ended up working a treat, having Swallow and Greenwood contest the throw ins was interesting don't know if it made a hell of a lot of difference, but good to see the coaches trying new things.
When teams let Max Gawn sit in the hole, he basically clunks everything. English could of made it an easy path out but Witts did a good job tonight. Don't mind it, it definitely wasn't were the game was lost.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't think can be too unhappy. 12 months ago, they were being spanked time and time again.
That's not really true though is it
We lost 4 games by less than 10 points last year
I have some deja vu from last season
We were 3 and 1 after round 4
Our improvement will have to be measured by factors other than W's because I can't see any in the next 5 weeks
Maybe the coaching group thinks not getting beaten by 100 points will be a pass mark
I just think young players need to win and we have given up 2 opportunities to do that
A bit of creativity at the selection table just might have got us over the line tonight and vs Melbourne

Our improvement will have to be measured by factors other than W's because I can't see any in the next 5 weeks
Maybe the coaching group thinks not getting beaten by 100 points will be a pass mark
I just think young players need to win and we have given up 2 opportunities to do that
A bit of creativity at the selection table just might have got us over the line tonight and vs Melbourne
That's true. Though they have improved so much, it's hard to even see how they are the same team. Its like 2 years has passed, not 12 months.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Were you there?
Bulldogs knew how piss poor he was one on one and were isolating him one out
It was so obvious I felt sad for the kid
Cost us 3 goals at least by having no effing idea
Which ones?
I just watched all the goals back on replay.

The Wallis goal was mainly his fault.
The only other time he was actually involved in the play which lead to a goal was the Ed Richards one. Powell was up on the wing, was playing defensive sweeper out the back of a scuffle for the ball, he was defending 2 bulldogs players who were cheating forward of the contest. He could have been a bit faster to come in and tackle before the 1st guy flicked it over to the second. The resulting inside 50 saw Richards body Lukosius out and then kick the goal.

Bailey Smiths goal had nothing to do with Powell
Neither do Young, Libbas, Lipinski or Joannisens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I saw nothing tonight to suggest Footscray is anything other than an ok middle of the road team, and they beat us
We have passengers who have been gifted tickets at the expense of good players twiddling their thumbs in scratch matches

Titasun

Rookie
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What a game we played, our first prime time game we played in ten years, before it i was worried we were going to go back to our old ways and get belted,
but the opposite happened tonight we were so competitive against a genuine premiership contender. Remember 7 games ago we were on an 18 game losing streak. The Suns are heading on the right direction in a hurry and everyone saw it on prime time. So happy with the result ☀️💪

LiveTheDream73

Debutant
Apr 18, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Disappointed. Easily could have found our way in front with the possession we had but Doggies are a very good contested side , and being wet played to their strengths. Collins terrific, and Swallow/Touk kept driving the team. Next 4 weeks are the crux of the season. Sunday, Thursday, Wednesday then Monday . Need to rotate players and get Lemmens, Brodie, Fiorini & Corbett in to assist the crew. McPherson, Holman, Day, Powell and even Ainsworth for me may need to be in the refresh rotation

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Im actually really annoyed with this game. More then any other this year. We dominated the majority of the match and couldn't score at all. Holman and MacPherson need a week(s) off. They arent doing anything on the scoreboard and it hurts us inside 50. Get Flanders and Lemmens in there asap

I would like to see a bit more from Ainsworth.. had a couple of good passages of play the last few weeks but not consistent.. definitely doesn’t deserve to be dropped though

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

A fairer measure is percentage, which is ok for now. Take out the Port game and Geelong is the only team who have had us beat well before the final siren and they had their chances in the 3rd qtr of that game to take control.

I don't think the team will be satisfied by not getting the win, but I'm happier this year when you know what the team are going to give in terms of effort.

Ballard, Luko and King are physically underdeveloped and we were made to pay. Powell probably shouldn't have been picked based on recent performance but he was ok. The thing is those players are the future if the club and we don't get to where we need to without getting games into them.

McPherson and Holman are not providing enough and could be looked at.

Harbs and Hanley are both limited these days but I imagine they are just holding on because if their experience and able to play a position of scarcity for us. As soon as they get dropped that's probably curtains for their career at this stage.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Sorry guys for my candid critical response above. Was just frustrated and put all my thoughts out..

We played really well and super proud of the boys! I am a little bit bitter we never got the win but that is the competitiveness in me. I love to win!

We are going places. If this year isn't our year, surely we will be able to build on this- maybe even attract some recruits! Expect changes for the Giants game and I reckon we are a chance to knock them off! Go sunnies!

Sorry guys for my candid critical response above. Was just frustrated and put all my thoughts out..

We played really well and super proud of the boys! I am a little bit bitter we never got the win but that is the competitiveness in me. I love to win!

We are going places. If this year isn't our year, surely we will be able to build on this- maybe even attract some recruits! Expect changes for the Giants game and I reckon we are a chance to knock them off! Go sunnies!
Nah its good that you expect to win every week, which is what the players expect. Better to have that mindset and be disappointed, not expect to lose and be used to it.

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Had our chances in the 2nd quarter but a super effort from the team - hard to remember sometimes how young our kids are.

Bowes has his 50th game tonight and I consider him a senior player

you can teach them skills, you can learn to make less mistakes but you can’t learn effort and digging in.

kids did well - roll on next week

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
In all honesty, how exciting is it that we only lose to a genuine contender by under a goal while we have a brownlow favourite on the Injury List. That is terrifying
You're absolutely right...

But it doesn't make me feel any better at the current minute 😂😭

Remove this Banner Ad

Back