Discussion COMPLETED eBay Auctions of AFL Guernseys - NO LIVE AUCTIONS

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 30, 2008
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
The golden era of eBay guernsey auctions is over.

Everything these days is sold on Facebook groups or marketplace. Sad really, it was much easier to know the market value of guernseys being sold via auction and if anything is put up on Facebook for a decent price you miss out unless you reply within 30 seconds. I used to have 4 or 5 auctions for Richmond guernseys in my watch list every week, but I haven't seen anything decent on there for months now.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood

Everything these days is sold on Facebook groups or marketplace. Sad really, it was much easier to know the market value of guernseys being sold via auction and if anything is put up on Facebook for a decent price you miss out unless you reply within 30 seconds. I used to have 4 or 5 auctions for Richmond guernseys in my watch list every week, but I haven't seen anything decent on there for months now.

The overall value of guernseys has risen dramatically since the start of the year too. I’m sure the bubble will burst eventually, but for now, that’s the state of play

Sep 22, 2008
Moama
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I’ve sold jumpers on eBay over the past few months, only for them to resurface on the Facebook groups less than 2 weeks later with the old. “Putting this jumper up for sale or trade, PM offers”

cant stand collectors that just constantly flip jumpers as soon as they get them.

StevieJ83

Senior List
Apr 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1 Team
The overall value of guernseys has risen dramatically since the start of the year too. I’m sure the bubble will burst eventually, but for now, that’s the state of play

I'll play devils advocate and disagree, Player Issue Guernseys and collecting them has never been more in the public eye than before with social media and the like attracting more and more new collectors. Not saying its a good or bad thing, I enjoy seeing others collections on Instagram, but it is quite an appealing and emotional hobby & new collectors with large disposable incomes (despite all the going-ons in the world at the moment, there is a lot of cash out there right now) will pay overs to get in and "catch up".

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
I posted in the other thread about prices, so won't go into huge detail. IMO prices will come down, right now there is a lot of artificial money in the economy that isn't sustainable (e.g. jobkeeper). Compounded by people who are not allowed to leave home and that disposable income that they would use on nights out/weekends is now saved and since they cannot do much they browse Facebook groups. If jumpers were replaceable I'd be selling mine and rebuying in 6-9 months, unfortunately it is not that simple and I won't be selling any of mine. I agree with StevieJ83 to a point, this will gain more traction and more people will get into the hobby, but not sure how many hardcore collectors will come out of those people.

I agree surrounding facebook, unfortunately most of the stuff that was sold on ebay is now through the groups. Not a fan myself as I've been ****ed around numerous times and there are lots of flippers.

Last edited:

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll play devils advocate and disagree, Player Issue Guernseys and collecting them has never been more in the public eye than before with social media and the like attracting more and more new collectors. Not saying its a good or bad thing, I enjoy seeing others collections on Instagram, but it is quite an appealing and emotional hobby & new collectors with large disposable incomes (despite all the going-ons in the world at the moment, there is a lot of cash out there right now) will pay overs to get in and "catch up".

That's exactly what I mean though. I just don't think it'll last forever. It might be a year, might be two years, might be five years. But inflated pricing won't last forever.

Sep 22, 2008
Moama
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't worry, sellers waste just as much time. Listing something for price X then ask for more because 3-4 people have offered to buy it.

yea that too, I remember a Port 2007 MW grand final Guernsey was listed for $300, A millon people were interested, nek minute there was a bidding war at 1K

Jul 30, 2008
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
The beauty of eBay is that you can get a true market value. You put up a jumper for $0.99 and let the wolves have at it for 7 days. If someone wants to pay more than I do for a guernsey in that scenario, then good luck to them. There is just too much smoke & mirrors going on in these Facebook groups, it's rubbish.

I've got about 70 Richmond guernseys in my collection, but haven't been able to add anything decent for probably 12 months. I've been collecting for 10 years now and I'll occasionally see a guernsey pop up in one of the groups that I'm really interested in, only for the bloke to reply "yeah mate still available, looking for $750 for this 2016 Sam Llloyd dreamtime PI".

* off idiot...

Sep 22, 2008
Moama
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As someone who collects all AFL clubs, I’m finding it harder and harder to get good jumpers now,

Nearly all of the hardcore collectors just collect their team & help out other collectors of other teams. Which is good but sh*t for me lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Umm...

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 12.13.20 pm.png

Munners

Senior List
Apr 5, 2017
Limestone Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some piece of work keeps bidding up high on eBay auctions then cancels.
Yep this has been discussed on the Player Issue Market Facebook page, users by the name of pestev-25 and heathrobbo25 are bidding on multiple items, not paying and leaving crude messages. I have no idea why eBay hasn't pulled this guy up.

makri

Team Captain
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
AS DJ Khalid would say "Another one".

I Remember when these were being sold out of the Collingwood club shop for around $80 in the weeks after the grand final, numbered, un-numbered spares, sleeveless, long sleeve as well as a couple of extra grand final patches ended up on junior and toddler sized jumper as well.

1599711706517.png

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Still rare-ish though, and a genuine GF player issue will always be worth money. Bit like the eagles selling ochred out of the team store for $70, and now they’ll go for 10 times that. Is what it is, unfortunately for all of us

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Yeah but even as of 2 years ago those Pies GF guernseys were going for 100 - 150 simply because that patch was nowhere near as rare as the new patch.

Value increased significantly in a short amount of time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back