Review Round 9 vs Greater Western Sydney @ Metricon (Sun 2/8/20 - 3:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Let's all sit around and discuss our game two Sundays from now when we take on that annoying younger cousin of ours that we sort of liked playing with until they got successful because their parents gave them the money to get into real estate.

Suns vs GWS

Last edited:

I am remaining positive on this one, We want to remain with a 50% plus win/loss record.

Hopefully we have our day and they don't.

Expecting changes

Big game for sure - it will be a test to see just how much we have improved. There needs to be some changes I'd guess and think we should 'take a break' to Darcy and Holman as the two most under the pump. Flanders and Sharp deserve a chance - both play strong and attacking football which we are building the brand on. Can't see Hanley or Harbs going anywhere in the short term - we need some old brains back there until we can recruit at least one if not two BIG players to assist Collins, Bowes and Ballard into the future. Rory remains a question mark until we see him back after such a long time away and a lot has changed. Powell and Ainsworth remain a week by week proposition. Sexton stays as even when he isn't on, they still need to watch him and now with Rankine down there as well, I can see some teams being a lot more nervous that they used to be. Fiorini, Miles, Lemmens and Brodie just have to wait on injuries as they will come over the next few weeks. I see this year as a bit of a stepping stone to what we will eventually be - there will be a few remnants from those bad old days getting a game while the new breed come through BUT we are progressing no doubt. I remain happy with 6 wins as a minimum and 8 as a really good effort - less than 6 should not be acceptable even given we are clearly more competitive. Can the young bodies and minds keep it up for the next 9 rounds - I hope so as that will be the biggest achievement for the year and not fade away.

Big game for sure - it will be a test to see just how much we have improved. There needs to be some changes I'd guess and think we should 'take a break' to Darcy and Holman as the two most under the pump. Flanders and Sharp deserve a chance - both play strong and attacking football which we are building the brand on. Can't see Hanley or Harbs going anywhere in the short term - we need some old brains back there until we can recruit at least one if not two BIG players to assist Collins, Bowes and Ballard into the future. Rory remains a question mark until we see him back after such a long time away and a lot has changed. Powell and Ainsworth remain a week by week proposition. Sexton stays as even when he isn't on, they still need to watch him and now with Rankine down there as well, I can see some teams being a lot more nervous that they used to be. Fiorini, Miles, Lemmens and Brodie just have to wait on injuries as they will come over the next few weeks. I see this year as a bit of a stepping stone to what we will eventually be - there will be a few remnants from those bad old days getting a game while the new breed come through BUT we are progressing no doubt. I remain happy with 6 wins as a minimum and 8 as a really good effort - less than 6 should not be acceptable even given we are clearly more competitive. Can the young bodies and minds keep it up for the next 9 rounds - I hope so as that will be the biggest achievement for the year and not fade away.
10 days break. I don't expect any changes. Holman copped a nasty knock to his ribs against Melbourne and did not seem right the last 2 games. But I think he will be to his best against GWS.

It seems Flanders did not play the last 2 scratch matches (no report on him by Clarke).

I like the players being mentioned as “ins”, but it is hard to drop anyone after such an even performance last night. Darcy’s form is improving. Lemmens brings a similar intensity, but I’m not sure he’s better. Pretty much the same. I know we lost to the Dogs, but one thing I liked was we seemed to always know where a teammate would be, without needing to look. That is coming from having a settled team. It is tough for the players outside the 22, but they might just have to wait a bit longer. I am amazed how few injuries we’ve had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well I'm not sure we are either
Manic pressure and running that got us wins seems to have dried up
I'm not worried. Its going fine. The pressure they asserted yesterday was the reason the dogs turned the ball over. Its working, just can't win all games. But they'll get there.

Just taking a moment to appreciate how insane it is that we’re talking whether or not we’ll make finals this year

totally doable, but considering we finished 18th I’m just happy to be going to every game with an expectation we can win

GWS as a system didn't look too flash yesterday, but they had Toby Greene that gave them that win. If we can stop Greene or nullify him, then it will go a long way to us winning. It's not a sustainable brand.

Problem is? We have no-one that can stop Greene. He might just go nuts against us.

GWS as a system didn't look too flash yesterday, but they had Toby Greene that gave them that win. If we can stop Greene or nullify him, then it will go a long way to us winning. It's not a sustainable brand.

Problem is? We have no-one that can stop Greene. He might just go nuts against us.

GWS have a flawed system, their coaching appears to be rubbish (only Whitfield is allowed to take risky kicks, everything else is up the line, reset at the stoppage) but their talent is undeniable.

The only player that is any sort of match up for Greene as Bowes, but even he is outmatched.

Just taking a moment to appreciate how insane it is that we’re talking whether or not we’ll make finals this year

totally doable, but considering we finished 18th I’m just happy to be going to every game with an expectation we can win
I agree although we've seen previously we can fall off a cliff around this point. We can't get complacent otherwise we'll see another long losing streak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back