Opinion Our favourite Indigenous player since AFL era

Remove this Banner Ad

Tef linked some of it, or the highlights or even the whole thing sometime recently. Maybe in the memory lane thread.
I found some highlights on Youtube thanks Ferbs. Particularly enjoyed the play where Cable receives the ball on the half-back line and without looking sends a handball over his head 20 metres down field lace out to a teammate in the clear.

I found some highlights on Youtube thanks Ferbs. Particularly enjoyed the play where Cable receives the ball on the half-back line and without looking sends a handball over his head 20 metres down field lace out to a teammate in the clear.

How about the two bullets to Blighty for goals. Did-not-break-stride.

Funny though. For such a guy well prepared he left his no. 9 jumper at home for the '75 grand final !

Very interesting opinion. Thanks.

Maybe Cable a gun sure but not the freakish tricks.
Yeah i've probably sold Cabe's a bit short there.....he was still super skilful, just, IMO, not as silky as Winnie.
Cable's career is 10X that of Winnie's and he also played in an era where you could get your jaw broken and it's "play on"

Jimmy the best, Phil my favourite
Exactly how I saw it. But watching them was as brothers in tandem and it was rarely the same when one of them was missing from the team. Massive respect for the Krakouers.

As a whippersnapper in the 70s, I don't think I ever truly understood how good Cable was, but he was pure silk. Great player in a great team.

The day McAdam kicked a bag of 10 against Sydney would still rate as the most memorable game by an indigenous North player.

Still have regrets that I didn't see Winnie in action courtesy of life overseas and off the rails, but have enjoyed hearing all the reports of others on his talents.

And now excited to see Jy emerging and would be brilliant to see him develop into skipper, and dare I say it, the premiership captain for our 5th with TT riding shotgun as part of our new generation.

The Thomas/Campbell combination was magic for a couple of years. I loved Lindsay, played with as much passion as anyone.

Phil Krakouer was the first number I had on a jumper. I chose it and ironed it on myself but somehow managed to crinkle it in the process. They were like the phone screens of their time, if you stuffed it up it was gone.

Daniel Wells was a favourite. Such a smooth mover and a touch of class that we have lacked at times. Never got the accolades he deserved IMO but that is the NM way. I would have loved to see him finish his career at the club, I reckon the switch took a little of the gloss off but he deserves to be remembered more highly.

I think we've been blessed with the indigenous talent we've had over the years. For me, as far as from and AFL perspective, I shed a tear everytime I see a Winnie highlight, we should have been blessed with another 100 games from this genius, sliding through the centre on his non preferred against the Pies and goaling from a distance most can't kick on their good leg, remains one of my favorites. More raw talent than one man deserves.

Wells, Jimmy and Phil, standouts, the toughness of Byron and raw emotion and talent of LT.

I never saw Cable play live, being from the country and always playing footy as a kid (remember when footy was a SATURDAY GAME!!), but he was my first footy hero, what set him apart from the rest was his work ethic, he was probably the leagues first real professional player, just based on the amount of work and preparation he put into his game.

We all know how tough Jimmy and Phil and Byron were, but make no mistake, Cable was as tough as those guys (just played a little cleaner). No more evident than his surviving a tractor accident after retiring, when pinned against a shed wall, with the the rear wheel spinning on his leg and shredding his calf to the bone, at the time it was suggested that it was only due to his supreme physical and mental toughness that he survived and not bled to death.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy has always been my favourite North player, and always will be. Loved him in my teenage years!! Also loved Phil, but Jimmy was my favourite. Third choice, throw a blanket over Byron, Abraham, Thomas and a few more. Modern day, I love the way Anderson, Simpkin and even Hayden go about their work. Unfortunately I just missed Cable, but heard from friends who say behind Carey, best ever player at North, so I am sorry I missed him. No doubt he would be up there too.

It's interesting as the Krakaour twins will always intrigue me.

Openly say never seen live or TV just highlights.

Some are Jimmy as best player for sure, some Phil more talent and exciting, it's hard to know!

If he had played a couple more years like his first (‘93) then Adrian McAdam would certainly have been a candidate. Pretty much the personification of an unfulfilled natural talent.
I recently watched the highlights from that game against Coll at Vic Park in ‘93. McAdam kicked 9 goals.....yep, that was some good highlight✅
My first and possibly only game at Vic Park. Great game. A week either side he kicked other bags. Was a star in his first half season.

It's interesting as the Krakaour twins will always intrigue me.

Openly say never seen live or TV just highlights.

Some are Jimmy as best player for sure, some Phil more talent and exciting, it's hard to know!

Was a kid when they were finishing up, not sure there is a comparison
Maybe a bit of mythicism in my eyes
But always seemed to know where the other was

Krakouers were deadly.
Jimmy was harder, super skilled and got more of the ball but Phil was a magician, a half forward who could turn a half chance into a goal. They would get beaten from pillar to post, racially sledged, physically belted behind the play and they would still serve up the best football you have ever seen. When a defender was chasing Phil and thought they had him he would elongate his stride and accelerate away to find enough space for a goal. People are right though, the connection between them was extraordinary. Jimmy would extract the ball from a fifty/fifty and bang it on his foot with barely a split second before being crunched and it would hit Phil at full stretch on the chest. I mean it would look like a hack out of the pack and yet the number of times he found Phil was more than luck.

I never saw Cable play live but he played over 400 VFL/WAFL games, won 6 Premierships, 3 Sandovers, NMFC Team of the Century as Rover. He has to be up there.

Loved Choppy and Adrian McAdam for opposite reasons. Choppy for his hardness and McAdam for his skill.

LT could do it all, could beat them in the air or on the ground. I remember a practice match on the gold coast when he had just been drafted and he took this huge leap over a pack that was no right to be his.

Winnie in full flight was a joy to watch.

Jy's Shimmy and then goal is a pretty good party trick.

Do love Jed bulldozing people when they have no idea he is right there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back