Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel Hall is unfairly maligned on here.

Almost like his good work, linking up and providing run which we lack, is completely overlooked by his mistakes (which he does make sure).
Linking up and then banging the ball JZ style you mean?

He can blaze away but unlike JZ he runs and carries.

People are far too harsh on him, especially with how slow we move the ball.
Each to their own, i think he's terrible, stupid decision after stupid decision.
Has all the physical tools just not a lot in the way of Footy IQ.

My issue is that he has all the tools to be a gun, yet constantly turns it over, misses goals he should kick and goes missing too often.

At his peak he should be one of our best but just like the team as a whole at the moment, just leaves us all frustrated.

My issue is that he has all the tools to be a gun, yet constantly turns it over, misses goals he should kick and goes missing too often.

At his peak he should be one of our best but just like the team as a whole at the moment, just leaves us all frustrated.

I think if you go back and watch last week's game you would be a little surprised. He hit a lot of targets and didn't blaze away at goals. I think he went at 80% DE. We have bigger issues than Hall.

I think if you go back and watch last week's game you would be a little surprised. He hit a lot of targets and didn't blaze away at goals. I think he went at 80% DE. We have bigger issues than Hall.
Please don't ask me to do that, I really don't want to go back and watch any of our last 5 games

Hall has been having an almighty crack. I think a lot of his misses are from playing very nervously though.

He's never had that time as part of a stronger North team unit like Higgins did in 15-16 to feel comfortable enough to nail his skills.

Totally agree, clearly a confidence player and giving his all.

Doubt it would be all that easy to have huge confidence, hence nervous to perform, at the moment.

He's improved the last 2 weeks, mostly last week. IMO he was genuinely awful most of the earlier rounds, but right now he's providing 'decent enough' football, when taking into account the quality of his team mates.

The big ticks are that he's providing much needed run and carry, and that he is lowering his eyes in the F50 and not just blazing away at goals every chance he gets. If he just cut down on those awful mongrel kicks that just float forever, then he would be getting some genuine kudos. I think someone mentioned somewhere that he's playing a lot like Gibbo used to for us, and I kind of agree. Really just needs to confine himself to his limitations (which Gibbo generally did really well, with the exception of an OOF in the forward pocket every game)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's improved the last 2 weeks, mostly last week. IMO he was genuinely awful most of the earlier rounds, but right now he's providing 'decent enough' football, when taking into account the quality of his team mates.

The big ticks are that he's providing much needed run and carry, and that he is lowering his eyes in the F50 and not just blazing away at goals every chance he gets. If he just cut down on those awful mongrel kicks that just float forever, then he would be getting some genuine kudos. I think someone mentioned somewhere that he's playing a lot like Gibbo used to for us, and I kind of agree. Really just needs to confine himself to his limitations (which Gibbo generally did really well, with the exception of an OOF in the forward pocket every game)

Agree with this. Against the Dogs, there was a suggestion that he was still suffering from mental health issues and that's what it looked like. Against *, his application was way better but execution was poor. Last week, I thought both application and execution went up another notch.

If he continues this trajectory, he'll be in the coaches votes this week, and BOG next week.

He was good last week.

Specifically that.

It was as if he actually took notice of his earlier errors and went out of his way to correct them. Top stuff really. It was obvious to me anyway, he dished off handballs to good options instead of u turns back into traffic and lowered his eyes instead of blazing away to nothing much at all.

It would be great if all our players showed as much commitment to improve week to week.

Agree with this. Against the Dogs, there was a suggestion that he was still suffering from mental health issues and that's what it looked like. Against *, his application was way better but execution was poor. Last week, I thought both application and execution went up another notch.

If he continues this trajectory, he'll be in the coaches votes this week, and BOG next week.

He is steadily improving. Too many other players follow suit and we may miss those high draft picks were all drooling over.

I think if you go back and watch last week's game you would be a little surprised. He hit a lot of targets and didn't blaze away at goals.

Yep.

But as I've said before, sadly his detractors only need to witness one or two errors that play to the pre-conceived notions for the endorphin hit of confirmation bias to kick in (and completely cloud their opinion).

He was good last week.

It was as if he actually took notice of his earlier errors and went out of his way to correct them. Top stuff really. It was obvious to me anyway, he dished off handballs to good options instead of u turns back into traffic and lowered his eyes instead of blazing away to nothing much at all.

It would be great if all our players showed as much commitment to improve week to week.

Well said, ferbs.

I thought it was very noticeable against the Tigers that he did exactly as you say, but you jump on here and just see the same cliched criticisms regardless. So we appear to be at the point now where it really doesn't matter how he plays, or how many targets he hits by foot, his more vocal (read: blinkered) critics are just going to trot out the same lines week in and week out.

It's deja-Gibbo.

He’s building. Really tough environment for a guy trying to get his mojo back to come into. I reckon he has just put his head down and battled away - you can see things are turning for him. He’s become a central peg in our midfield the last few weeks. Progress isn’t linear though so I wouldn’t expect things to get better every week. In a team that has no stability and is looking thin on the experience front he is a welcome addition. This could be the makings of him as a North man.

Aaron's disposal & decision making this season has had some incredibly poor outcomes for an AFL player.

He needs to correct things quickly or it will all end very quickly once the list is back near full strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back