Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had 18 touches today but nothing special. You rarely notice him on the ground.
He will end up a 250 game player for us.
To think Dodoro thought this guy was the next Chris Judd is laughable.
Can anyone remember a time when Atley was in the bests?

Last edited:

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Andrew McGrath. Swap roles, he would have had two kicked on him today from a back pocket and had 13 possessions with 3 on the full.

We wrecked him, 100% destroyed any potential he had to even show what he could do in Judd's spot.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Went through the corridor more often, took the game on, and did some aggressive things offensively. Obviously not every kick is gonna hit a target but he was very far from our worst player today.

Andrew McGrath. Swap roles, he would have had two kicked on him today from a back pocket and had 13 possessions with 3 on the full.

We wrecked him, 100% destroyed any potential he had to even show what he could do in Judd's spot.

McGrath is an extremely poor comparison. Apart from you ignoring the fact that he mainly played back until this season, McGrath is very composed with the ball, wins contested possessions, and takes good options.

Atley's played over 200 games and people still argue that the club is at fault for the fact that he's a dumb footballer. SMH.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Career assessment.
Trails his opponent to contests far too often IMO

He's been Bradded in to a tagger mindset.

It's pretty hard to stamp out after 200 games also.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
18 disposals, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, at 83% goal efficiency.

That’s a very decent game!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He doesn’t make a lot of errors, but his output could be so much more. His DE is high because he doesn’t take a lot of chances. He’s not in the delist category, by a long way, but I’d love to see him explode with the ball. He’s got the tools.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He has the ability to break the lines and brush off a tackle followed by a burst of pace away from the contest.

The question is, does he have the confidence to do so? And willingly at every opportunity?

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just think he wants to move it quickly but he looks at what is in front of him and he has to basically throw that thought in the bin.

Couple of times he looked really dangerous but our forwards were asleep.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dude was an inside mid who suffered being behind JZ and BC throughout his career, and behind Swallow in the earlier part. Has made a decent career for himself as a defender who wins the day more often than not, but he ALWAYS did his best work in and around the packs.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
McGrath is an extremely poor comparison. Apart from you ignoring the fact that he mainly played back until this season, McGrath is very composed with the ball, wins contested possessions, and takes good options.

Atley's played over 200 games and people still argue that the club is at fault for the fact that he's a dumb footballer. SMH.

What I was comparing was exactly as you pointed out. Essendon had a plan to develop him into the player he should be. We put Atley back to develop and eas him in and forgot to put him back into the middle. Atley has pretty much the same skillset, just not the support.

What I was comparing was exactly as you pointed out. Essendon had a plan to develop him into the player he should be. We put Atley back to develop and eas him in and forgot to put him back into the middle. Atley has pretty much the same skillset, just not the support.

Aah, got it.

Though I don't agree that Atley has the same skill-set.

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
2 Brownlow votes my friend. And he'll play 300 games. Mark my words.

Fast and ok skills.

But the football related problem solving speed of a slug.
Don't ask him to think too much or make complex decisions. He's a bit of a himbo really.

That is why he plays better in the front half of the ground. As the ground narrows to the goals his options do as well so he has less opportunity to stand around wondering what to do. It's obvious and in front of him.

He doesn't have the vision or decision making of Cunners, tho few do. But he doesn't really have the vision or decision making of Froggy either. That is about the only knock on him for mine but you can see how it limits him. Although, like Wood, Garner and LMac he is one of those players who did a lot of unnoticed work, some of it really good, on replays of last year's games.

While Cunners is out I really wouldn't mind seeing him in the middle once or twice.

Back