Autopsy vs Carlton - Round 8, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Well there may be some positives to take out of this game and I’d like to think of myself as a glass half-full kinda guy but I’m in no mood tonight. An Autopsy is by definition ’ the cause of death’.
We are an insipid, impotent, weak, unskilled team. We are consistently 2nd to the ball and play behind our opponents. All our players gravitate to the fall of the ball and our outside runners are way to close to the contests. Also our ‘outside runners’ don’t run. We struggle to get the ball out of our defensive fifty every single time. We refuse to use the corridor so much so that on the off chance we get it in the middle we go sideways or backwards to more familiar territory. We should have set up our QLD hub somewhere between half back and the wing 5 meters in from the boundary line because we have spent 90% of every game there. We have no kicking skills so we over handball. We have no handball skills so we turn the ball over. Our best way forward right now is to kick the ball along the ground to minimize the damage our handball and kicking creates. The first contested mark Ben Brown goes for in 6 weeks leaves him lying on the ground for 30 seconds like he’s a racehorse that’s had the curtain drawn around him. Get up and show some guts. Our only decent players on the park are Jy, Higgins, Taz and Goldy and they’ve become Ferrari’s forced to do tractor work. Apologies to Josh Walker who in any other team would be having an ok, workmanlike year but in our team has somehow become the 2nd coming of Carey. It’s painful to watch this with no end in sight. This was Carlton we played today and we are in honourable loss territory. Against CARLTON!!!!!! Where will the turnaround come be cause right now we are in free fall with no end in sight.

Well there may be some positives to take out of this game and I’d like to think of myself as a glass half-full kinda guy but I’m in no mood tonight. An Autopsy is by definition ’ the cause of death’.
We are an insipid, impotent, weak, unskilled team. We are consistently 2nd to the ball and play behind our opponents. All our players gravitate to the fall of the ball and our outside runners are way to close to the contests. Also our ‘outside runners’ don’t run. We struggle to get the ball out of our defensive fifty every single time. We refuse to use the corridor so much so that on the off chance we get it in the middle we go sideways or backwards to more familiar territory. We should have set up our QLD hub somewhere between half back and the wing 5 meters in from the boundary line because we have spent 90% of every game there. We have no kicking skills so we over handball. We have no handball skills so we turn the ball over. Our best way forward right now is to kick the ball along the ground to minimize the damage our handball and kicking creates. The first contested mark Ben Brown goes for in 6 weeks leaves him lying on the ground for 30 seconds like he’s a racehorse that’s had the curtain drawn around him. Get up and show some guts. Our only decent players on the park are Jy, Higgins, Taz and Goldy and they’ve become Ferrari’s forced to do tractor work. Apologies to Josh Walker who in any other team would be having an ok, workmanlike year but in our team has somehow become the 2nd coming of Carey. It’s painful to watch this with no end in sight. This was Carlton we played today and we are in honourable loss territory. Against CARLTON!!!!!! Where will the turnaround come be cause right now we are in free fall with no end in sight.

Welcome to reality. We’re no good.

What was the 100 metre penalty for ? Because Foxtels coverage was ass

The same reason as the 50 in the first quarter. Wearing a North jumper.

There’s enough negative aspects to this season (and this year overall) to talk about until the cows come home.
Here’s some positives:
Josh Walker - good pick up, has been consistently solid, fits in well with Tarrant
Kyron Hayden - bounced back from concussion to keep Betts to just 5 touches and 0.0
Bailey Scott - 3.0, can kick a set shot, will be good to see how he can go with a decent run of games
Lmac - another good performance, putting together a pretty good season
Larkey - a couple of goals in his first game back, obviously improves our fwd line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure it hurts to see our team like this.

We are a complete rabble and weirdly enough, besides the two blow outs, have been in it to some extent.

In this compromised shambles of a season (if you could even call it ) the worst thing for North and every other team is to finish 2nd to 15th/16th. Means nothing but position of picks.

Like it or not, we are full off vanilla, sub standardAFL players.

Add to that, our better players are getting on and breaking down. In two to three years we’ll say bye to Higgins, Tarrant, Goldie and Cunnington.

We are most likely in yuck position for the next 3 years.

Who would you have prefered playing for us today LDU or Cam Raynor. That's the difference fighting to win a dead rubber can make.

I SERIOUSLY don't see any type of winning culture that has emerged from late season wins against teams with their foot off the gas.

Any delusion comes from the thought a late win in a dead year builds culture.

Not accepting mediocrity builds culture, and that by far is the biggest difference between us and the bigger more successful clubs.

"Not accepting mediocrity" - but perfectly happy to accept far worse, apparently, on the threadbare fantasy that doing so is going to make us better.

And you want to point to the final-round win in 2017, after which we commenced 2018 with a 7-4 record (apart from 2016, our equal best first half to a season under Scott, I think?), and still say you don't see how winning breeds a winning culture? And talk up a solid but hardly stellar medium-sized forward as though he's worth another loss and a wooden spoon? I'm not as bullish about LDU as some, he's got plenty more to do to prove himself, but he's playing the kind of role that players take time to develop in, missed a fair few games through injury (Rayner's literally played every game since being drafted), and looked promising late last year. It's laughable to suggest that whatever difference exists between he and Rayner (or plenty of other pairs of players in other drafts, past and upcoming) is somehow so important that it warrants sacrificing victories for.

Other club supporters all laugh at our LDU selection and you can understand why. Apart from half a dozen good games and a few more promising moments he has been a huge disappointment.

Do they?

It was an ordinary draft year and he was an outside mid everyone was after. Paddy Dow no good, mixed bag after that with the exception of steal Tim Kelly.

Time to adjust our expectations - first top 3 pick in 20 years and not even like we have to turn up and watch this I reckon it’s perfect timing.

Seeing that i chose that exact time for a toilet visit, what exactly was the double 50m penalty for ?
Just watched the replay. The commentators barely explained it. The 2nd one was against Zurhaar (?). Afterwards they didn’t discuss why it was paid or show a replay... no footage ??

Missed the first half of the game, so decided to just watch it from the very start (thanks Kayo) instead of live.

Interesting match. Lots of individual players, but mostly moments that could be critiqued, we had some shockers, but holistically I think it was a noticable improvement on recent weeks.

Pittard did some big dumb dumbs, but his role was also paying some dividends and you can see what the coaches were thinking (as opposed to last week where I really didn't notice much of anything he did working out particularly well for us).

LDU was a great big nothingness on the field, but he seemed to be forward most of the game and rarely, if ever, playing a big role at a stoppage or bounce. I'll cop that this week though, the kid is returning and needs runs in his legs and a few knocks here and there to get him hardened and conditioned again. Tanking allegations may be harder to escape if he doesn't get more midfield time next week though.

Larkey wasn't superb, but he wasn't bad by any means either. Had some exciting shots on goal that were in play and not generated by his marking power which bodes well. And while Brown was still... frankly, pretty poor... It didn't seem like he was competing against 2-3 in a static pack anywhere near as much as in recent times and generally I don't think he was as outmarked as usual, which is a move in the right direction. Had a frightful landing at one stage.

Simpkin didn't do great, but he'll learn a lot from having a hard tag on him. It's only going to happen more. You could see how aggressively filthy he was with circumstances at times. Also really noticed him turning the shoulder, like jed does, in some spearing tackles. Very competitive player, and good to see him get motivated rather than crack the sads.

Hall continued being decent. Wasn't great, but once again a lot of the negatives we were becoming used to weren't pleaasant. Ripping goal too.

Scott is an odd one. One moment he looks overwhelmed by the physicality of the game, next minute he's racking up a few contested balls in a row. Really does seem like he's just a bit too light for the game still. Has some ripping forward skills though, and with the way he runs hard and at a good pace we would have to potentially consider him as a smaller forward in the Turner mold.

Jed and Silver were great. Anderson was clearner than normal, while being his competitive self, which was a great thing to see after some injury woes. Silver was pretty dominant down back, and his long kicking was much, much, improved from normal.

Plenty of negatives too, personally was hoping to see more from Zurharr but to be fair he had just missed a week with a leg complaint.

Oh well. We lost, but I'd rather lose like today instead of like some of the utter tripe we've put out in recent weeks. Ultimately, from a slightly richmondeque ECO position, I was happy enough with the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back