Autopsy vs Carlton - Round 8, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

hcd199 your heart is in the right place but sorry mate you are simply being naive and ignorant.

In what way? I've never denied that good players are available in the draft, that there will be more available at higher picks, or that at this stage in our list development it's probably wise to focus on taking our picks rather than trading to plug holes. It's "naive and ignorant" to think being bad is ultimately better for us in the long run, based solely on the slightly increased probability of acquiring good players through the draft. Plenty here were envious of Melbourne back in 2009, and would've preferred we lose to them (for, what, Jack Trengove?); that mindset is no less moronic now than it was then.

We lost because of costly skill errors. These were made predominantly by senior players. Kids are showing heaps, Dumont and LMac now established as solid contributors. MacKay looks like he belongs. As someone said above, rebuilding shouldn’t mean insipid football, and it was pleasing to see our endeavour after quarter time: at times our ball movement looked good.

We had the run of the green but the umpiring was horrific. Hard to recall a more over umpired game.

Who would you have prefered playing for us today LDU or Cam Raynor. That's the difference fighting to win a dead rubber can make.

I SERIOUSLY don't see any type of winning culture that has emerged from late season wins against teams with their foot off the gas.

Any delusion comes from the thought a late win in a dead year builds culture.

Not accepting mediocrity builds culture, and that by far is the biggest difference between us and the bigger more successful clubs.

How is playing to lose different to accepting mediocrity?

Do they?

It was an ordinary draft year and he was an outside mid everyone was after. Paddy Dow no good, mixed bag after that with the exception of steal Tim Kelly.

Time to adjust our expectations - first top 3 pick in 20 years and not even like we have to turn up and watch this I reckon it’s perfect timing.

MatthewLloyd coached him for 2 years and said he was the best schoolboy footballer he had ever seen. Patience please.

Well there may be some positives to take out of this game and I’d like to think of myself as a glass half-full kinda guy but I’m in no mood tonight. An Autopsy is by definition ’ the cause of death’.
We are an insipid, impotent, weak, unskilled team. We are consistently 2nd to the ball and play behind our opponents. All our players gravitate to the fall of the ball and our outside runners are way to close to the contests. Also our ‘outside runners’ don’t run. We struggle to get the ball out of our defensive fifty every single time. We refuse to use the corridor so much so that on the off chance we get it in the middle we go sideways or backwards to more familiar territory. We should have set up our QLD hub somewhere between half back and the wing 5 meters in from the boundary line because we have spent 90% of every game there. We have no kicking skills so we over handball. We have no handball skills so we turn the ball over. Our best way forward right now is to kick the ball along the ground to minimize the damage our handball and kicking creates. The first contested mark Ben Brown goes for in 6 weeks leaves him lying on the ground for 30 seconds like he’s a racehorse that’s had the curtain drawn around him. Get up and show some guts. Our only decent players on the park are Jy, Higgins, Taz and Goldy and they’ve become Ferrari’s forced to do tractor work. Apologies to Josh Walker who in any other team would be having an ok, workmanlike year but in our team has somehow become the 2nd coming of Carey. It’s painful to watch this with no end in sight. This was Carlton we played today and we are in honourable loss territory. Against CARLTON!!!!!! Where will the turnaround come be cause right now we are in free fall with no end in sight.

TLDR - We're crap.

In what way? I've never denied that good players are available in the draft, that there will be more available at higher picks, or that at this stage in our list development it's probably wise to focus on taking our picks rather than trading to plug holes. It's "naive and ignorant" to think being bad is ultimately better for us in the long run, based solely on the slightly increased probability of acquiring good players through the draft. Plenty here were envious of Melbourne back in 2009, and would've preferred we lose to them (for, what, Jack Trengove?); that mindset is no less moronic now than it was then.

We have the best hand we've ever had at the draft this year.

We have an atrocious injury list.

The season is heavily compromised due to covid 19.

We can use this year to help speed up the process of rebuilding by giving the kids we have time. By almost ignoring the W/L. By winding back senior players who can't take us forward.

We are better than we're displaying but there is the very real likelihood we can add the equivalent of two Jys this year.

Bottom 4 this year. Mid 6 next year. Finals and pushing in 2022.

It puts a time frame on our seniors that are good enough.

Ask yourself if this year is shot. If it is what would beating Carlton today got us?

That winning feeling in an unsuccessful year?

We must, must play LDU inside. Build him up like we did with Cunners early on. Even if he’s only playing 50% game time whilst coming back into fitness. He and Jy are our foundations for our next chapter, have to start playing them together inside.

It was his first game back after being out for
358days. He’ll get into the middle soon enough we’re likely monitoring his load.

Can't say I was surprised by the start.

The last quarter though was more disappointing.......we could have legitimately won the game.

Aren't we this hard, contested team? You'd think in wet weather we'd have the advantage.......nah.

Carlton wanted it more and were more cleaner with their ball use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the best hand we've ever had at the draft this year.

We have an atrocious injury list.

The season is heavily compromised due to covid 19.

We can use this year to help speed up the process of rebuilding by giving the kids we have time. By almost ignoring the W/L. By winding back senior players who can't take us forward.

We are better than we're displaying but there is the very real likelihood we can add the equivalent of two Jys this year.

Bottom 4 this year. Mid 6 next year. Finals and pushing in 2022.

It puts a time frame on our seniors that are good enough.

Ask yourself if this year is shot. If it is what would beating Carlton today got us?

That winning feeling in an unsuccessful year?

Not when you sat at the Punt Rd goals at the Preliminary in 1995 and endured those smug so and so’s. Memories are long and any win in any season comes a close second to beating *....so I would have taken the win yeh

I sincerely apologise for Pittard and, to just a little less extent, Polec.

Caveat emptor just doesn't do justice to the situation. Your club deserves better from them. They should hang their heads in shame.

Ok mate, Polec was great today for 3 quarters.

Aside from JMac and Jasper, the most maddening moment in that game was when Hall did some absolutely brilliant work to win the ball and then proceeded to be caught holding the ball. I nearly choked with annoyance. He’s his own worse enemy, truly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aside from JMac and Jasper, the most maddening moment in that game was when Hall did some absolutely brilliant work to win the ball and then proceeded to be caught holding the ball. I nearly choked with annoyance. He’s his own worse enemy, truly.

I know careers are all what ifs and if only‘s, but Hall gets the ball, like seriously can win the ball. He at least tries his guts out. Just seems to be an over correction from week to week with him. Was pretty solid today, but still not good enough.

He was in the middle of his kicking motion too. Just lacked a single iota of awareness that another player was behind him. That said, he's been quite acceptable over the last 3 weeks.

Not when you sat at the Punt Rd goals at the Preliminary in 1995 and endured those smug so and so’s. Memories are long and any win in any season comes a close second to beating *....so I would have taken the win yeh

I was at that game.

I remember the following September.

Thats where I want to be.

We belted Carlton last year and the year before. It makes us all feel good and papers over deficiencies.

We have medicine to take this year.

I was at that game.

I remember the following September.

Thats where I want to be.

We belted Carlton last year and the year before. It makes us all feel good and papers over deficiencies.

We have medicine to take this year.

Well I am sticking to my guns on this one..I would take 2 wins a year that being this lot and *

Positive - Clearly better endeavour than previous weeks.

Negative - Still some major issues to address in disposal and structure.

Player analysis to come.....good, bad and ugly.

carlton isn't exactly in the same class as richmond.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back