Autopsy Hawks fall short against the Swans - Rd 8 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course we’re in a poor spot.

As i said, there is the bloke going to the Dogs and that article clears nothing up about your claim that 8 of the top 10 picks are compromised. They even mention the Hawks with their player (Downie) who looks like getting picked around the 20’s. It’s a click bait article.

The larger problem is going to be identifying a top 5 player with a pick considering there’s been fu** all junior footy played, that’s the issue.
Good call. If ever there was a bad year to go shopping at the top end of the draft its this year, the kids aren't playing so its harder to qualify talent and a large portion of players are already linked as academy or father son potentials. Last few years was the time to have currency in the draft.

Just watched Clarko's presser and there were some comments I found interesting (not that he would give much away to the media):
- "Couldn't question our players' endeavour, we just didn't take our chances up forward".
- "Just down a bit on confidence at the moment".
- "The effort was there, we just lacked polish".
- "The vibe in the group and the way we trained during the week doesn't marry up with our performance".

So we move on to next week. It will be interesting to see how we go against Carlton, a team who are playing much better than we are at the moment.

That was woeful.

Almost as depressing as the game was Clarkos press conference. No change needed, just players lacking a littl polish and down on confidence blah blah blah

One point on stratts. Didn’t he cop a big hit early in the game to his ribs? And did you see what happened when Hardwick took swans best small (Papley?). He was dominated. Stratts may be having a shocking season but don’t think he’s been done like Hardwick was today.

I’d also add worpel has been shocking this year. Has a reigning criminal medalist had a worse season? Can’t remember one. I think the bs finish to last season may have inflated a lot of reputations (eg Lewis as well).
What would you like him to say publicly ?

If he criticises a player he most likely loses the whole group . If you think today or the last few weeks were bad it will be way worse.

He needs to back them in to the public , their confidence is shot to bits .
Doesn't mean individuals and the group isnt getting a dressing down behind the scenes .

I posted this after the loss to Melbourne last week, and was criticised.

Who wants to have another crack today?

“I’m not sure of their respective contract situations, but I have no problem with the following hanging up their boots come November:

Frawley
Burgoyne (one season too many unfortunately)
Henderson
Stratton
Puopolo
Scully
Smith

Inject more youth and start building the team to seriously challenge in 2023”
You can't dump the entire leadership team during a rebuild. Burgoyne should go again simply for what he can teach the youth in the back room, but Henderson, Stratts, Poppy and Scully are cooked. Maybe we could get a late pick for Smith? Frawley is a 50/50 for me, he isn't playing the best but part of that is there is just so much to do in D50 that they can't catch a break.

Carlton will beat us next week... That ain't turning...
So what?

Is that the end of the earth, after stealing all our systems and 200 number 1 draft picks and being totally irreverent since brown paper bags were frowned upon (unless dished out by the commission)? Who made them a semi power house last generation? Ooooh that's right a ex Hawthorn Premiership Captain.

Why was/is Clarko so effing annoyed at the afl stealing OUR people - because he knew that was/is our edge. It aint anymore since we've flooded the comp with them.....no wonder the comp is sort of even since it's ex Hawthorn people who keep winning the bloody thing even if it's not for Hawthorn. I for one would be happy for Bucks to win because he did it his way!!!

What I would like this week is for the Board to have a conversation with Reeves, Wright & Clarkson. Firstly to tell them what is happening is unacceptable (just to make them feel it and if any of them arc up let them know that the club is bigger than the individual), secondly to outline the immediate plans to rectify the situation and finally for them to give an update on the future plans for the coming years. If the Board aren't happy with the future plans they should either intervene or ask for an external to review and advise (There's some bloke doing a review for Adelaide that might be worth listening to).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't dump the entire leadership team during a rebuild. Burgoyne should go again simply for what he can teach the youth in the back room, but Henderson, Stratts, Poppy and Scully are cooked. Maybe we could get a late pick for Smith? Frawley is a 50/50 for me, he isn't playing the best but part of that is there is just so much to do in D50 that they can't catch a break.
Our leadership group at present is Stratton, O’Meara, Mitchell, McEvoy, Smith, Shiels and Gunston.

That would mean two of the leadership group retire at the end of the year (Stratton and Smith).

That’s not uncommon at any club, let alone one on the slide as we are.

We are taking the piss surely. We continue to play Frawley and Stratton. Scully gets away with playing bruise free footy.

Wet weather game so we debut a 30 yo Keegan Brooksby instead of playing Jones/Finn.

Might as well put Henderson on long term injury list so we can select CJ.

Clarko can deflect all he wants with umpiring and Papley comments, it's plain to see the real issues.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

So what?

Is that the end of the earth, after stealing all our systems and 200 number 1 draft picks and being totally irreverent since brown paper bags were frowned upon (unless dished out by the commission)? Who made them a semi power house last generation? Ooooh that's right a ex Hawthorn Premiership Captain.

Why was/is Clarko so effing annoyed at the afl stealing OUR people - because he knew that was/is our edge. It aint anymore since we've flooded the comp with them.....no wonder the comp is sort of even since it's ex Hawthorn people who keep winning the bloody thing even if it's not for Hawthorn. I for one would be happy for Bucks to win because he did it his way!!!
Was i talking to you ? OP said the game tonight would be a turning point. I call bullsh|t. Not when Blues beat us next week..

The line in the sand game was a turning point. Tonight we got done by the Sydney Reserves team. If that doesnt sting then you are welcome to accept mediocrity but i will not.

I remember an open Mike interview with Russell Greene.... He spoke about how the Hawks didnt accept mediocrity. Havent done so since John Kennedy walked in the door.

Our leadership group at present is Stratton, O’Meara, Mitchell, McEvoy, Smith, Shiels and Gunston.

That would mean two of the leadership group retire at the end of the year (Stratton and Smith).

That’s not uncommon at any club, let alone one on the slide as we are.
I think questions on Gunston should be there, too, who is perhaps the most cooked player at the club at the moment. That would leave O’Meara, Mitchell, McEvoy and Shiels with basically no one else able to step up as a good enough leader AND a good enough player.

I get where you're coming from, I disagree though - maybe Bruest if he wanted it. You need leaders in each line, not just a handful of mids.

We are taking the piss surely. We continue to play Frawley and Stratton. Scully gets away with playing bruise free footy.

Wet weather game so we debut a 30 yo Keegan Brooksby instead of playing Jones/Finn.

Might as well put Henderson on long term injury list so we can select CJ.

Clarko can deflect all he wants with umpiring and Papley comments, it's plain to see the real issues.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh no Tally.... We have to be nice about this... paper over the cracks.. dont you know - everything is just darn-diddiliy-great..!
</sarcasm>

The sky is falling!
Stratts is old news... last year old
Mids are 1 dimensional
What forwards?
Out coached again.

Morrison was solid.

Love Hardwick. This guy is Hawthorn!

Jags needs to play more outside. Just about any FA available that can get him the ball should be a target. Yes, Crouch.

Minch... sorry bud great story but we should have gone with a perspective kid, whatever his name was.

Lewis. Phwah... he will come good in a season or 2.

Wingard is looking like he knows he has to do it himself. I don’t blame him. Keep on keeping on but do it in the midfield.

Day, what a kid! 70kg wet and he is cracking in. More Blokes should take a lead out of his book.

Worps tried today. Needs to let go of the B&F and enjoy his footy. He was all smiles last year. This year he is all puffy and rigid.

Clarko was definitely to smart for his own good this week.
We needed something and it was Sicily to late. We could have structured up after half time to win but we, yet again trotted out the same old same. At least he made a change.

Burgoyne I feel will be a Gibson type fall.

Well done Chip! Someone has to fly the flag, just don’t be so dumb about it.

Big Kegs started well but went missing.

Morris has had his couple. I’d be looking at all of Moore and Ollie with Minch and Morris going out.

Looking forward to the boys playing Pitto. He held his own today against a player that completely tore our rucks a new one.

The bigger ground will do us some structural favours in the West but we will be over run by Carlton and West Coast.

I’m watching for Day. I’m watching for Jags to lead. I’m watching for Hardwick to be himself. Rate him!

Hot tip... watch the GC. It’s actually exciting football

Was i talking to you ? OP said the game tonight would be a turning point. I call bullsh|t. Not when Blues beat us next week..

The line in the sand game was a turning point. Tonight we got done by the Sydney Reserves team. If that doesnt sting then you are welcome to accept mediocrity but i will not.

I remember an open Mike interview with Russell Greene.... He spoke about how the Hawks didnt accept mediocrity. Havent done so since John Kennedy walked in the door.
Yes, you are talking to me, since you quoted me and replied twice. It's not personal as far as I know.

It was me who said it would be a turning point, it may not be see-able for a while though.

Where have I said that I accept mediocrity? I can answer that for you, I haven't. All I've said is don't let it wreck your week, night, moment because it's just a game, and to remeber that the HFC are effing good at this game when they get the jigsaw in place. At the moment it isn't, so what? Does that mean they never ever will again?

If Stratton's form doesn't warrant his continued selection then he should be dropped. .............
demoting might further demoralize the team.
I can't see how it would demoralise the team considering how uninspiring it is to watch him play atm

I don't know why people are gunning for Frawley, more older players should move on before he does.

Frawley and McEvoy (despite playing out of position) are the only players over 30 who get a pass.

Yes, you are talking to me, since you quoted me and replied twice. It's not personal as far as I know.

It was me who said it would be a turning point, it may not be see-able for a while though.

Where have I said that I accept mediocrity? I can answer that for you, I haven't. All I've said is don't let it wreck your week, night, moment because it's just a game, and to remeber that the HFC are effing good at this game when they get the jigsaw in place. At the moment it isn't, so what? Does that mean they never ever will again?
Apologies - my bad. I misread and thought you had interjected. I stand corrected.. on that point...

I know this disregards how poor we are playing right now but we have never been a wet weather side. Even in our premiership years we struggled in the wet, its just something I've come to expect of us, for good or bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back