Autopsy Hawks fall short against the Swans - Rd 8 2020

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
The gameplan is the problem. We play for stoppages. We don't move the ball to score. It's pathetic. Once Syd realised this, they took the game on and won.

One passage of play saw us soccer the ball 3 times to get I50. Seriously? Was under 10s sh*t. These guys are getting paid $600k to kick it off the ground?

We are playing to minimise the damage. If this continues, we'll have the number 1 pick. Don't worry. On form we're the worst team in it right now. We'd lose to Adelaide.

Our list isn't that bad. It's the gameplan. Unless it changes the season is a right off.

Imagine playing in a team where you are coached to move the ball without scoring?

Let that sink in.
There’s the post I needed to keep sh*t real. We have a decent enough core so the way I see it’s up to Wrighty and Co to cut the fat from the list this offseason. I still want to see how we perform come the Perth hub but I kind of felt with us going 0-3 at Giants Stadium and now losing to the Swans that the season is cooked as our confidence is shot. We’ll likely have Impey back in next week and maybe even Breust. I wouldn’t be pushing Impey too hard and I wouldn’t be against being him along slowly as he’s someone we’ll need to hit the ground running in 2021.

This whole season from being given the hardest early fixture to play Geelong at GHMBA to then being in the Sydney hub (Giants Stadium) has sapped us from any continuity that we needed to get on a run. To some it might sound like I’m making excuses but it just seems like we’ve been handed the biggest of sh*t sandwiches of most AFL clubs. Out game plan and structures albeit not great were most definitely customised for the MCG (bigger grounds) and I feel the last 5 games on the smaller / thinner ones has totally ruined all our confidence in them (game plan / structures).

The question now is can we get that confidence back and more importantly is it even worth it if we do. Should we maybe treat the rest of this season like a gap year and play all our youth and just experiment different things? I think we should and if the losses pile up then so be it but we can’t keep doing what we are doing.

I agree with you TD that we have a decent core but Wrighty and Co have a lot of work to do in complementing then with more talent. This offseason could be the one they really open the chequebook yo add that much needed talent.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The gameplan is the problem. We play for stoppages. We don't move the ball to score. It's pathetic. Once Syd realised this, they took the game on and won.

One passage of play saw us soccer the ball 3 times to get I50. Seriously? Was under 10s sh*t. These guys are getting paid $600k to kick it off the ground?

We are playing to minimise the damage. If this continues, we'll have the number 1 pick. Don't worry. On form we're the worst team in it right now. We'd lose to Adelaide.

Our list isn't that bad. It's the gameplan. Unless it changes the season is a right off.

Imagine playing in a team where you are coached to move the ball without scoring?

Let that sink in.
It has been this way for 3 seasons, for 3 seasons (expect this 1) we've controlled two thirds of the ground, from the forward 50 arc back, problem is we've had nobody (big forwards) capable of scoring - Hence the risk V reward of Patton. Lewis looked like it last year before doing his shoulder.

The flip side now is the rebound, since we have zero control in the air and no fleet of foot small forwards or mids now that the old fellas are showing their age. It is what it is. We rolled the dice and lost - again it is what it is.

I don't think many coaches could do much with it to be honest, except put the cue in the rack, and get some games into Kosi, CJ, Jones, Jeka and Pitto....oh thats right... anyway keep playing the 1st year fella from SA but given Jackson a Ross a crack, ahead of the "imports" in Scully, Hendo, Minch, etc, there is absolutely no future in playing them now. Hopefully this sinks in and Cousins and Jones get another go as well, that's why today's loss maybe the turning point, because we're done for a bit and it cannot be denied any longer by a single person at the club.

We need another good small back pocket so maybe one of the others will actually RUN from behind. Don't even risk Impy this year.

FWIW I heard Cal Twomey say this week 3 of the top 15 are tied to a club and then 7 or so of the next 15 after that. (so in effect 10 of the top 30).
If we actually do finish in the bottom 4, then we could certainly bid on the kid tied to the Dogs. It's expensive matching for anyone that plays finals.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Hot Cheese Rioli

Debutant
Aug 2, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Let that sink in.
Bolded point above is spot on. Was almost like Horse flicked a switch.
It was clear as day how the match changed when the Swans took the game on, took risks, played through the corridor etc.

f4zz

Senior List
Jul 5, 2011
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wonder if brendan bolton is having an influence on this s**t game plan..when he was coaching the blues they played this s**t kicking sideways and backwards slow game plan.

f4zz

Senior List
Jul 5, 2011
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree our gameplan is unwatchable. We have enough talent to compete. Last year Clarko commented that he forgot what having fun was about and when he realised this he let the shackles loose and the team started winning again and playing freely again. Seems like Clarko has completely forgotten about the 'fun' this year.

Let that sink in.

Very good post, the current narrative is that the coaching job is Clarkson's for as long as he wants it?
Everyone has an expiry, everyone.
There are very strong parallels between Boltons last few weeks at Carlton and the way Hawthorn is currently playing.
He has a $3m contract that the club can’t afford to pay out and he won’t walk away from. No coach in the league will leave their post after this year which is essentially a makeshift write off.

Regardless, Clarko is the club. He is Hawthorn. Like it or not, he will be walking out on his own terms. And he deserves it.

Viddiot

All Australian
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been watching some of the other games, and it just feels like we're playing a different sport. Like the game plan is for a different sport.
Tyler's post about the game plan being the problem I think is correct. Every other team can just run the ball the length of a ground through the corridor, hit a target and score. Why are we making it look so difficult? (aside from the obvious group form and skill drop off). The most annoying moment for me was that 5 minute patch kicking out of defense to the same spot, the same Sydney player in a Sydney 2 on 1, 4 times in a row.

However....let's hope we're at the bottom of the curve now.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We’ve been coached to defend. Everything we do is to defend. Even when we have the ball we hold it as long as possible to let our defence set up then kick it long down the line.
Clarko seems to have fallen in love with the way Ross and Horse had success with “less talented teams” but those teams had a heap of talent. They just seemed less talented due to the game plan.
Start attacking and taking the game on and this list will look so much better. Everyone on our list can play footy they’ve just got to be given a licence to do so.
I’m happy getting beaten taking the game on and trying to win. But playing just to not lose is not the way to play at all.
I wanna see full on aggressive play for the rest of the year. Just let the players have fun. The reason the end of last year went so well was because we were having fun but also attacking

f4zz

Senior List
Jul 5, 2011
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree watching the saints tonight they just play the corridor and it looks like they are playing a different game. Surely personnel wise we are as even as the saints...this gameplan must be deflating for our forward line
I've been watching some of the other games, and it just feels like we're playing a different sport. Like the game plan is for a different sport.
Tyler's post about the game plan being the problem I think is correct. Every other team can just run the ball the length of a ground through the corridor, hit a target and score. Why are we making it look so difficult? (aside from the obvious group form and skill drop off). The most annoying moment for me was that 5 minute patch kicking out of defense to the same spot, the same Sydney player in a Sydney 2 on 1, 4 times in a row.

However....let's hope we're at the bottom of the curve now.

Back