Autopsy Hawks fall short against the Swans - Rd 8 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha what a c*@ksmoker. Loves sticking the knife in.. and people wonder why gutter journos like Ralph are regarded as lower than pond scum

We are very salty at the moment and having our coach bring umpiring and opposition players up in press conferences as a diversion tactic to where we are at is wearing very thin.

The calls have been on and off again since our thumping by Gold Coast a few years back to blood the youth.

I finally think that this is a good time to do so. This season is a a joke to be honest and the premier this year will always have an asterix to their name, due to so many varied disadvantages faced by so many clubs.

Just reset and play a bunch of youth to see who sticks. Especially, give our 3-5 year fringe players like Nash, like Glass a run in the first team and finally test if they're up to the mettle.

Clarko should know that there is enough fan goodwill towards him and the club, owing to our amazing three-peat and most would understand that a little dip, to come back stronger next year serves us better, than pushing on with a side that will only deteriorate in 12 months time.

My thoughts, but I think to get the most out of this year, a novel approach needs to be taken.

Unfortunately Clarko dropped his code tonight. Horse is right, you don't critique opposition players, you critique your own players (& there's plenty to whinge about). At least he was partially right when he said we lacked polish, but everyone knows ... you can't polish a turd. AC needs to focus on the multiple deficiencies in our own game plan and on our own list before he criticises others. There's been plenty of problems highlighted in this thread, but for me our DE is the most embarrassing aspect of our game. Very un-hawthorn like. Hawthorn is broken at the minute.

The most sensible and honest summary I have read. Great post.

I was happy he whacked the umpires after rd 4 , the game is better for it. But now he just needs to play a straight bat, be vanilla and as boring as possible.
I'm not sure if its ' focus on me and I'll take the heat ' tactic to take pressure of the players but I would rather he just not respond now .

Might be correct but looks like whinging

The calls have been on and off again since our thumping by Gold Coast a few years back to blood the youth.

I finally think that this is a good time to do so. This season is a a joke to be honest and the premier this year will always have an asterix to their name, due to so many varied disadvantages faced by so many clubs.

Just reset and play a bunch of youth to see who sticks. Especially, give our 3-5 year fringe players like Nash, like Glass a run in the first team and finally test if they're up to the mettle.

Clarko should know that there is enough fan goodwill towards him and the club, owing to our amazing three-peat and most would understand that a little dip, to come back stronger next year serves us better, than pushing on with a side that will only deteriorate in 12 months time.

My thoughts, but I think to get the most out of this year, a novel approach needs to be taken.

Correct. The problem we have is a bunch of older players that he has kept on the list that have gone to the well for him for so many years.

I do agree with your thoughts that our supporters and Board are never going to chop him if he decides to play Jiath, Walker, Jones, Moore Glass etc so come the end of the season we have a clearer understanding as to where these lads are at.

I would also ask Stratton to step aside like he has done to our senior players in the past and let’s see who jumps up and wants to become our next leader. This is our best opportunity ever to make the changes needed now and use the last 9 games as a rehearsal for next year.

Defence is fine, so long as you turn it into attack. The ball needs to transfer quickly through half back and into attack to give forwards a 50/50 chance. As a former forward myself, there's nothing worse than slow indirect passages into attack. You don't know when to lead, you end up second guessing yourself. Once the ball is held up across half back, you are playing a losing style of footy.
Our gameplan works fine when we have most of personal in , are confident and synch . We punch above our weight division as far as talent goes.
Once one of those areas drops so does our performance .

At the minute we are basically 0/3 on the above.....we are giving our forwards no chance as a result

You absolutely nailed it. We're coached to defend.

We move the ball in a way to protect the defence.

Problem now is, we can't score. And opposition teams know it.

Over to you Clarko.
Honestly we would be the easiest team to prepare for / coach against at the moment. So predictable and so defensive.

There comes a time when being a well drilled team tips over becoming a robotic / stifled team and we are at that stage now (and we were at that stage for the first 3/4 of 2019 as well).

The weird thing is that the Hawks of the early 2010's used to absolutely destroy these kinds of teams (think of the thrashings we used to administer to the Ross Lyon coached Dockers) so why the heck has Clarko decided to take our team down this very same path?

Honestly we would be the easiest team to prepare for / coach against at the moment. So predictable and so defensive.

There comes a time when being a well drilled team tips over becoming a robotic / stifled team and we are at that stage now (and we were at that stage for the first 3/4 of 2019 as well).

The weird thing is that the Hawks of the early 2010's used to absolutely destroy these kinds of teams (think of the thrashings we used to administer to the Ross Lyon coached Dockers) so why the heck has Clarko decided to take our team down this very same path?

Because he knows we are short on skill and talent and is trying to do everything to keep the games close and eek out a win or two.

Decide who will be captain next year and elevate him to the role for the rest of the season.
Agree. Gunston (c), Smith (vc).
O’meara in the wings.

Maginness and Walker need to play before the season finishes.
Must play Ross now too.

Do you dweebs actually realise JOM has to do all the heavy lifting because we because otherwise we can’t win clearances? Mitchell has ONE clearance over the last two games. Yes, ONE. Worpel use to fend people off and also lower his eyes going into the 50 now he literally does a 35m “bomb” every possession. You’d see a different JOM if others fed him the ball in space which literally never happens.
Nothing wrong here, except “you dweebs”.

Unfortunately Clarko dropped his code tonight. Horse is right, you don't critique opposition players, you critique your own players (& there's plenty to whinge about). At least he was partially right when he said we lacked polish, but everyone knows ... you can't polish a turd. AC needs to focus on the multiple deficiencies in our own game plan and on our own list before he criticises others. There's been plenty of problems highlighted in this thread, but for me our DE is the most embarrassing aspect of our game. Very un-hawthorn like. Hawthorn is broken at the minute.

He literally spent about 10 seconds talking about how Papley is good milking frees (he is!) Everything else was about lack of polish, forwards not competing etc.

We are very salty at the moment and having our coach bring umpiring and opposition players up in press conferences as a diversion tactic to where we are at is wearing very thin.
Agreed

Never complain, never explain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

reading this thread you would think he hadn’t turned up
One that can hold his head up
It's not that he played bad it's that we have mongrel around the ball, he needs to bring that to carry in worpel and a recovering Mitchell. We need someone to lead with aggression

Butchered the ball all day. He’s a big part of the problem. Our midfielders are completely ineffective with the footy

If he has a little time and space and misses targets then fair enough. That didn't happen though. He was winning in the contest and forcing it forward. He had no help whatsoever in there and was constantly under immense pressure.

Because he knows we are short on skill and talent and is trying to do everything to keep the games close and eek out a win or two.
Yet paradoxically we won most of our games last year when we released the shackles towards the end of the year.

I feel like playing this ultra defensive gameplan has to take a toll on the players mindset over the course of the season.

He literally spent about 10 seconds talking about how Papley is good milking frees (he is!) Everything else was about lack of polish, forwards not competing etc.

He mentioned the umps after round 4 and basically had a rule changed which pisssed off a lot of people and how has that worked for us since then...
26-12
19-15
17-16
22-13

He then comes out and mentions the free kick count today and it’s like we are
playing an extra man and then talks about Papley.

Enough of the deflection rubbish. Talk about some of our kids If you have too or even Gunstons contribution to the club and give the supporters something positive to hang on too.

utterly pathetic. Don’t let the last few minutes distract you from how poor we are.

Send Burgers home to be with his family.

Minch shouldn’t play for us again.

Brooksby shouldn’t play for us again.

Scully shouldn’t play for us again.

Stratton shouldn’t play for us again.

Drop Lewis and Worpel, both terrible. Worpel only gets so many tackles cause he’s a statue and never gets to the ball first.

Disappointing month.

Feels like the footy world is against us at the moment (again), and the players are playing that way. Looks like a group that thinks they are going to pay dearly for any and every mistake, and that nothing is going to go their way.

The club needs to stay focused on what we can get out of this year for later years, and I am sure they are already thinking that way. I am looking forward to it.

Yet paradoxically we won most of our games last year when we released the shackles towards the end of the year.

I feel like playing this ultra defensive gameplan has to take a toll on the players mindset over the course of the season.

Yep agreed. Our last 6 games last year was quick ball movement and plenty of run and overlap. At the moment it is stagnate, stale and extremely boring to watch so I can only imagine what it must be like to be out there playing at the minute .

I think we are being as disrespectful as that flog Ralph in relation to Clarko

take a deep breath and remember what he has bought to this club and while taking that breath take a look across the league, not just in a coaching capacity and count how many soldiers he has trained and now lost to other clubs. We’ve lost some serious IP and he has earnt the right to continue to be treated with respect

theres No denying there’s some issues - it appears no real game plan, no leadership when the wheels start to fall off, some injuries to key players which have occurred early in games, poor skills and a midfield and forward line that aren’t connecting. We also had six players under 21 out there tonight which has also been lost.

for mine it’s senior players who need to look in the mirror and if it’s bottom four time then we might as well not play them if they can’t muster the energy and lead by example

FWIW Frost IMO has been an excellent pickup

Checklist of positives for today's game:

• Handballs to MOVING targets. FAIL
  • 6+ goals from structured play. e.g. leads, isolation, intended one-on-ones. FAIL
  • Quick ball movement from the midfielders. FAIL
  • Quick ball movement through the middle of the ground. FAIL
  • 5+ goals from players in the 18-25 age bracket. FAIL - Only 1 in the last 3 mins
  • Not over-committing numbers to the player with the ball and pressuring the receivers. FAIL

Result speaks for itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back