Autopsy vs Carlton - Round 8, 2020

RightWingRoo

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cleary played better than we have for a few weeks after quarter time. Good performances from Kyron, Bailey and McKay were positives.
Polec was much better after being taken off Cripps and Jed largely nullified him after that.
Let down in the end by poor delivery going forward and some wtf moments from senior players.

I’m quite confident we have Carlton’s measure going forward. If we weren’t in such a funk going into this game, we would have won for sure. A few of our players are trying too hard at the moment.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shaw's pressers are ******* bat sh*t boring. Offers no insight. Can't articulate. Struggles for answers. Lacks inspiration.

This is all reflected on-field.

He was told to be not so honest. welcome to press conference 101.

A great result for us today, beating the Blues would have given us nothing. But to lose with McKay doing well Larkey being up and about. Hayden showing a bit and Scott kicking 3 , all up a good day at the office.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I’m quite confident we have Carton’s measure going forward. If we weren’t in such a funk going into this game, we would have won for sure. A few of our players are trying too hard at the moment.

I’m hoping in time we have the measure of good teams.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Better than previous weeks and a few good ins that improved us.
Positives
Larkey kicked a couple
Jed played his best game
Scott will be a footballer
Kyron is so calm with ball in hand and while most on the ground couldn’t grab it, he had no worries.
LMac good again
3 Kpd played well

Negatives
Jmac is finished
Brain farts from our senior players cost us
Not giving LDU a run in the middle at any stage
Did we play another injured player in Jy.
Our forwards being led to the ball.
Umpires showing no consistency

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
He was told to be not so honest. welcome to press conference 101.

A great result for us today, beating the Blues would have given us nothing. But to lose with McKay doing well Larkey being up and about. Hayden showing a bit and Scott kicking 3 , all up a good day at the office.
Best result for us by a country mile

A better balanced side than we’ve had in previous weeks.

A few underdone players who needed the run.

A few brain fades away from a win.

I came from watching the game thinking “we would smash this Carlton team with our full lineup fit and firing” so not overly pissed off.

This whole year’s fkd in so many ways so my eyes are on 2021 and beyond.

Shaw's pressers are ******* bat sh*t boring. Offers no insight. Can't articulate. Struggles for answers. Lacks inspiration.

He completely avoided the question about Polec on Cripps. Waffled on about other stuff like a good politician.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
A better balanced side than we’ve had in previous weeks.

A few underdone players who needed the run.

A few brain fades away from a win.

I came from watching the game thinking “we would smash this Carlton team with our full lineup fit and firing” so not overly pissed off.

This whole year’s fkd in so many ways so my eyes are on 2021 and beyond.
They had their gun forwards in McKay and Curnow missing, and Gov on the bench (and they still kicked a winning score).
They also had their first ruck in Kreuzer missing.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They had their gun forwards in McKay and Curnow missing, and Gov on the bench (and they still kicked a winning score).

They've had a settled side the whole year. We've lost a 173 games through injury - the most by far thisbyear. It was a good team this weak but lets face it they havent played all season together, on top of not being able to train together. Then the guys who have played have been beat up for six weeks playing in a weak side that loses players in game to injuries every week.

Piss off back to your hole chicken little. Or go support Carlton if you think they're so incredible. Geez a mllion number one draft picks and they beat an injury ravaged North by 7 points. Get some perspective.

Dec 31, 2015
Santiago, Chile
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't buy this rock bottom crap...

We're having a bad season in an interrupted year, but finally have the opportunity to play the youth and get some high draft picks.

4 rising stars last year, another so far this year.

The hope is there, if not for the Cunnington/Larkey injuries we would be top 8. We get the chance this year to build the depth needed to push deep.

Look at Carlton's last 15 years and tell me we're "rock bottom".

Kids showed something and most of our seniors showed their normal stuff.

I have a feeling that Polec on Cripps was a lesson from Shaw. It seemed to fire up Polec.

I liked the games of McKay, Scott and Hayden from our young blokes but some of our senior players were rubbish....again. we could get rid of 6 of them at years end and still have some average senior players on the list.

Posters having a crack at Shaw need to ease up this year as he works out which players will take the club forward.

I like the fact he's trying players in different positions, regardless of how successful the move is, if you don't try you'll never know.

Keep the experimenting going I say for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Still would have won with their full lineup.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like the fact he's trying players in different positions, regardless of how successful the move is, if you don't try you'll never know.

Keep the experimenting going I say for the rest of the year.
That's a good point - for the most part we all thought Scott was far too unwilling to do this.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I’d suggest as others have intimated that LDU wasn’t ready for the midfield . We just wanted to get some game time into him .

if you don’t think we see him as a mid in the future ya crackers .
Even still yesterday he had presence about himself whenever he was in the action

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do they?

It was an ordinary draft year and he was an outside mid everyone was after. Paddy Dow no good, mixed bag after that with the exception of steal Tim Kelly.

Time to adjust our expectations - first top 3 pick in 20 years and not even like we have to turn up and watch this I reckon it’s perfect timing.

Brayshaw playing good footy and Stephenson has been a match winner for the Pies

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He was in the middle of his kicking motion too. Just lacked a single iota of awareness that another player was behind him. That said, he's been quite acceptable over the last 3 weeks.

Two North players were almost standing next to him, of which neither seemed to be providing voice or a block.

Even a local league coach would have torn shreds off their players for that.

Tiberius

Generational Talent
Sep 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'd like to say the jury is still out on Shaw as a tactician and a leader of men, but what is beyond question is the fact that he really doesn't English good.

Back