WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

With a rotation of teams playing, I could see some businesses making a booking for some corporate facilities for the season.

Give to different employees each week as some perks, and take clients there before a night out.

A guaranteed fixture at 7:30pm which the AFL won’t let happen in Perth for the Eagles or Dockers, which could have the Colts start a game at 2:30pm and the resies play at 5pm could be rather enticing.
They'd play colts and reserves on the Saturday, but otherwise, not a bad idea. Would make telecasting it much easier/cheaper. Don't have to lug equipment around each week, plus a nice lead-in from the AFL game.

No team/sport is allowed to be based at Optus. It's why when Subi got demolished West Coast moved to Lathlain and WAFC's offices are co-existing with a school. Cricket can't just move into Optus they need a separate home.
Where it say that? That’s poor if true. West coast were always going to get their own facilities, Freo too. MCG doesn’t have an AFL team permanently apart from Melbourne?
WAFC never wanted Optus stadium, as they don’t get royalties. So they reap what they sowed. WAFC and WACA are in the same boat of being traditional and non progressive yet still ask for funding to ‘save’ grassroots cricket and footy yet if they make it easier on themselves, they will get by signing contracts to allow them to access that funding.

I’m all for boutique stadiums but WACA is a 20k seating within the CBD.
North Sydney, Blacktown, Allan Border, Drummond are all out in the suburbs. Adelaide Oval and MCG take up the CBD space then the boutique are within populated areas. Same as Brisbane. It just cost too much for a stadium to have barely 500 people attending to be held at a CBD prime land.

It just cost too much for a stadium to have barely 500 people attending to be held at a CBD prime land.

Is it though? They already have the land for the WACA so no cost there. The lease was for 999 years which still has over 850years to go.

There’s no big demand for land in the City Centre at the moment considering the vacant sites across the road in the Waterbank precinct next to the Causeway and also in the Northbridge Link area.

And the main point of the development is to reduce the seating in the stadium to therefore reduce maintenance costs, as well as add in some community facilities for the slowly growing population of the area.

Being on so many bus routes on Adelaide Tce and close to Claisebrook Rail Station you aren’t going to find many better suburban sites for a boutique stadium that can serve the whole metropolitan population, and not just one half of Perth.

This also land banks the site for a potential larger stadium with a 30,000 capacity should it ever be needed after Optus expands to 70,000.

Last edited:
Fantastic news for sport in the state. Once these inner city venues go you're not getting the land back and with decent infrastructure there immediately available to be upgraded.

Provides footy and cricket with a high class central high-performance venue on an ongoing basis and the presence of such a facility to train on so well located helps bring State of Origin, rugby internationals & big international soccer clubs to town. Alleviates downward pressure on grassroots level facilities. I think in years to come the people of WA will be very glad it was retained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were relying on Gov funding were they not?....which after Covid-19 will be hard to come by I would have thought.
Its a pity though as I would love to see WAFL footy return to the WACA.

WA govt has probably made a profit out of Covid

royalties up!

Does anybody know when they are starting work on the waca ?
This was emails to members 3 days ago:

Dear Members

I am delighted to provide an update on the WACA Ground Improvement Project and how we are continuing to strive to achieve our vision to create a sustainable community and sporting hub with cricket at its heart.

As I am sure you will recall in December 2019 the Federal Government announced a $30 million funding commitment towards the WACA Ground Improvement Project.

Since then, the WACA has continued to have positive conversations with the State Government to secure a matching $30 million funding commitment. We are cautiously optimistic that we will obtain this funding in the not too distant future.

Further, we are committed to raising another $10 million towards the Project through the WA Cricket Foundation and the $4 million funding commitment from Cricket Australia remains secure.

We have taken this time to refine our plans for the WACA Ground Improvement Project and develop detailed designs to ensure our Project is ‘shovel ready’.

We have also been exploring the feasibility of an exciting opportunity to partner with the City of Perth and include an aquatic facility at the WACA Ground. We are in the process of working with the City of Perth to determine if we can integrate a 50 metre pool, a learn to swim pool and a leisure slide into the design of the WACA Ground Improvement Project. A number of complex matters including management, an appropriate operating model and tenure need to be determined before an informed decision can be made by the WACA and the City of Perth. Regardless of the outcome, we are thrilled to be working closely with the City of Perth and we are very excited about what could be possible.

We are on the precipice of exciting opportunities finally coming to fruition. We plan to finalise our detailed designs and come to a decision regarding the inclusion of an aquatic facility by early October 2020. We will of course continue to keep you informed as plans progress.

Despite this year having its challenges, with a global pandemic affecting us all in many different ways, we have taken this time to review and re-evaluate our membership structure and our offering to you. It remains our goal to provide a value for money membership offering that can be catered to your needs. We look forward to sharing this exciting news with you in the very near future. It is also important to note that the planned improvements to the WACA Ground will provide an exciting value add to your membership.

As always, we remain grateful for the support of our valued members. Thank you for continuing to support cricket in WA and our vision to transform the WACA Ground. We really believe that with these improvements the WACA Ground can continue to prosper and service the needs of cricket and the community for generations to come.

We look forward to continuing to share the exciting future of the WACA Ground with you.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Tuck Waldron

This was emails to members 3 days ago:

Dear Members

I am delighted to provide an update on the WACA Ground Improvement Project and how we are continuing to strive to achieve our vision to create a sustainable community and sporting hub with cricket at its heart.

As I am sure you will recall in December 2019 the Federal Government announced a $30 million funding commitment towards the WACA Ground Improvement Project.

Since then, the WACA has continued to have positive conversations with the State Government to secure a matching $30 million funding commitment. We are cautiously optimistic that we will obtain this funding in the not too distant future.

Further, we are committed to raising another $10 million towards the Project through the WA Cricket Foundation and the $4 million funding commitment from Cricket Australia remains secure.

We have taken this time to refine our plans for the WACA Ground Improvement Project and develop detailed designs to ensure our Project is ‘shovel ready’.

We have also been exploring the feasibility of an exciting opportunity to partner with the City of Perth and include an aquatic facility at the WACA Ground. We are in the process of working with the City of Perth to determine if we can integrate a 50 metre pool, a learn to swim pool and a leisure slide into the design of the WACA Ground Improvement Project. A number of complex matters including management, an appropriate operating model and tenure need to be determined before an informed decision can be made by the WACA and the City of Perth. Regardless of the outcome, we are thrilled to be working closely with the City of Perth and we are very excited about what could be possible.

We are on the precipice of exciting opportunities finally coming to fruition. We plan to finalise our detailed designs and come to a decision regarding the inclusion of an aquatic facility by early October 2020. We will of course continue to keep you informed as plans progress.

Despite this year having its challenges, with a global pandemic affecting us all in many different ways, we have taken this time to review and re-evaluate our membership structure and our offering to you. It remains our goal to provide a value for money membership offering that can be catered to your needs. We look forward to sharing this exciting news with you in the very near future. It is also important to note that the planned improvements to the WACA Ground will provide an exciting value add to your membership.

As always, we remain grateful for the support of our valued members. Thank you for continuing to support cricket in WA and our vision to transform the WACA Ground. We really believe that with these improvements the WACA Ground can continue to prosper and service the needs of cricket and the community for generations to come.

We look forward to continuing to share the exciting future of the WACA Ground with you.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Tuck Waldron
He signed off as Tuck?

With local government support, it should be a good chance to get genuine interest as post covid project.
The mention of incorporating an aquatic centre got me thinking about the fact that the City of Perth don't have one. The nearest one is what, Beatty Park? Can't think of many other spots within the CBD to build one. Just need to get Basil on board now.

The mention of incorporating an aquatic centre got me thinking about the fact that the City of Perth don't have one. The nearest one is what, Beatty Park? Can't think of many other spots within the CBD to build one. Just need to get Basil on board now.
Beatty Park would have been within the City of Perth before the split in the mid-90s.

The WACA don't have a real plan for the WACA site. They're just throwing around ideas, all of which are designed to get somebody else to pay for stuff.

The larger Gloucester Park grounds next door would make far more sense for aquatic facilities than the WACA.
The WACA has to make the field size bigger and attract WAFL football there and possibly a club like East Perth or Perth to permanently base there as well.

The larger Gloucester Park grounds next door would make far more sense for aquatic facilities than the WACA.
The WACA has to make the field size bigger and attract WAFL football there and possibly a club like East Perth or Perth to permanently base there as well.

There is plenty of room behind the Prindiville and Inverarity stands if they are demolished and re-done. I imagine any redevelopment would likely take the road that separates the waca and queens gardens.

EP might move but I think it would be more likely the WAFC and the footy academy would move there and then the WACA could host regular WAFL night games for the match of the round

There is plenty of room behind the Prindiville and Inverarity stands if they are demolished and re-done. I imagine any redevelopment would likely take the road that separates the waca and queens gardens.

EP might move but I think it would be more likely the WAFC and the footy academy would move there and then the WACA could host regular WAFL night games for the match of the round

no doubt the aquatic centre and other community facilities would go in that new building to the left of the field.

ACF7FB66-4D46-45FD-A77B-D38A6AAFECD7.png

It looks like it would fit the Olympic sized pool next door at Trinity.

1EB9D2E8-13A2-461B-AF34-A8440B692ED2.jpeg

It would be similar to how Freo’s HQ has an aquatic centre for Cockburn incorporated into it.

I do wonder, if they expect to play WAFL games there, will the cricket pitch be changed to a drop-in-pitch.

And would the State Government made it a condition to hand over funding, that they take control of the venue away from the WACA and include it in the states portfolio of sporting venue with VenueWest.

Last edited:
The reduced capacity but upgraded facilities for the WACA ground would be fantastic for the AFLW teams.

The shame though, is that the WACA ground wouldn’t be able to be used for the AFLW, as the season would conflict with when the cricket pitch would still be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back