Autopsy Hawks fall short against the Swans - Rd 8 2020

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Kind of describes Gary ayers. But plenty of examples of premiership captains play in defence and even back pocket. I wouldn’t have made him captain either but not because he played back pocket.
David Parkin

Last edited:

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What pissed me off is that Papley’s second goal shouldn’t have happened. Straight after Papley got bowled over so did Mitchell ...... no difference. It should have been reversed.

Where is consistency!

The umpires got sucked in big time with Papley going down like he had been snipered. Correct 100%

Papley said in the after game press interview that Mitchell has been gobbing off to him just before he kicked the goal and carried on like a pickle. It should of been the end of it when Papley kicked the goal.

Frawley running in and knocking him over gave them momentum and fired Papley up who then destroyed us and shoved it right up us and won them the game.

Papley has the Ballantynes about him for sure but is a gun footballer you don’t want to fire up one bit and Frawley should of known better.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm sorry but are Sydney and Longmire that precious that they require a phone call after any slightly negative thing said about them ?

I didnt like Clarko responding to it but seriously ..........they seem very easily offended
Oh yes, hyper-sensitive are Pridham and Horse's Swannies...

Scully's in because of the distance and running he covers, I dont think he's confident in his burst speed or offensive game yet.
He can't change direction. Can only run in straight lines. Part of the reason he can't tackle. Damaged goods. Time to realise he wont get better and move past him.

Was always the risk with his injury.

What I can't excuse is his inability to pick the ball up off the deck. Is way below standard.

I'm sorry but are Sydney and Longmire that precious that they require a phone call after any slightly negative thing said about them ?

I didnt like Clarko responding to it but seriously ..........they seem very easily offended
1595727299069.png

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
The calls have been on and off again since our thumping by Gold Coast a few years back to blood the youth.

I finally think that this is a good time to do so. This season is a a joke to be honest and the premier this year will always have an asterix to their name, due to so many varied disadvantages faced by so many clubs.

Just reset and play a bunch of youth to see who sticks. Especially, give our 3-5 year fringe players like Nash, like Glass a run in the first team and finally test if they're up to the mettle.

Clarko should know that there is enough fan goodwill towards him and the club, owing to our amazing three-peat and most would understand that a little dip, to come back stronger next year serves us better, than pushing on with a side that will only deteriorate in 12 months time.

My thoughts, but I think to get the most out of this year, a novel approach needs to be taken.
I got shot down last season when I suggested exactly what you just did. My suggestion was after the unforeseen season ending injury to Mitchell and our poor start to the year. The focus way back then should have been on developing our youth with an eye on the kids that went pick 1 & 2 in the draft.

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone defending papley or having a go at Clarko please spare me.

If papley wants to be tough and lippy he shouldn’t flop like he does. If anything Clarko should’ve called it out for what it was. Weak. Maybe he should look at rampe about having courage and playing with a stuffed hand/arm.

And if anyone calls it gamesmanship, I’m sure you’re the same people that call it out in soccer.

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What pissed me off is that Papley’s second goal shouldn’t have happened. Straight after Papley got bowled over so did Mitchell ...... no difference. It should have been reversed.

Where is consistency!
And those clowns on TSFS bagged Clarko and Frawley for their actions (and I suppose rightly so) but completely disregarded the following Sinclair bump which should have reversed the free. Not a mention.
And how about the bump on Sicily ??nit long after. Not particularly hard but was there and should have been reversed. Not a mention. The agenda continues.

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn

It this day and age when you can’t been seen to hurt someone’s. Pass the Kleenex please.

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We’ve been coached to defend. Everything we do is to defend. Even when we have the ball we hold it as long as possible to let our defence set up then kick it long down the line.
Clarko seems to have fallen in love with the way Ross and Horse had success with “less talented teams” but those teams had a heap of talent. They just seemed less talented due to the game plan.
Start attacking and taking the game on and this list will look so much better. Everyone on our list can play footy they’ve just got to be given a licence to do so.
I’m happy getting beaten taking the game on and trying to win. But playing just to not lose is not the way to play at all.
I wanna see full on aggressive play for the rest of the year. Just let the players have fun. The reason the end of last year went so well was because we were having fun but also attacking

We are a like a golfer not wanting to 3 putt so never actually 1 putt anything and end up 3 putting mostly anyway !!

Mind you (and can’t believe it saying this) but as #%%%%%% as this year is I’m happy to write it off, it will piss me and all of us off more in the long run if we come home and finish with a pile of meaningless wins without developing kids and miss out on a crack at genuine talent.

Last edited:

Rev08

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2008
Sunny coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
Clarkson is calling a spade a spade. If there were yellow cards handed out for staging then papley wouldn't have made it to half time.

Unfortunately, when you lose, you just like a whinger. It seems Clarko wants to take on the corrupt AFL but it is not the time to do it when you are losing.

It's also not worth taking on the AFL at any time. You will get no support in the media - all the journos walk on egg shells knowing if they criticise the AFL they will get less access. It is one of many reasons our great game is becoming unwatchable.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Clarkson is calling a spade a spade. If there were yellow cards handed out for staging then papley wouldn't have made it to half time.

Unfortunately, when you lose, you just like a whinger. It seems Clarko wants to take on the corrupt AFL but it is not the time to do it when you are losing.

It's also not worth taking on the AFL at any time. You will get no support in the media - all the journos walk on egg shells knowing if they criticise the AFL they will get less access. It is one of many reasons our great game is becoming unwatchable.
It's less about taking them on and more diverting attention. He is heaping a lot of the pressure on to himself to take it away from the players.

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In hindsight, this loss is better for us.

A win, and we just roll out doing the same thing next week, maybe 1 or 2 changes... bring back Poppy & Ceglar and drop Brooksby & Morrison...

This loss is a reality check. Up against a bottom 4 side missing arguably 3 of their best players on the back of Hawks losing past 3 in a row and we were deplorable. I would much rather lose all remaining games this year if I can see something happening, new talent being blooded and the potential of top draft picks being injected into our list.

By seasons end you would expect at least the following 8 players not to be on the list:
Shiels, Statton, Brooksby, Michington, Scully,Burgoyne, Puopulo and Henderson

Not too dissimilar from when Clarko arrived; Lekkas, Graham, Barker, Holland, Tallis..etc were all highly regarded but clearly weren't gonna be part of the next premiership assault.

And those clowns on TSFS bagged Clarko and Frawley for their actions (and I suppose rightly so) but completely disregarded the following Sinclair bump which should have reversed the free. Not a mention.
And how about the bump on Sicily ??nit long after. Not particularly hard but was there and should have been reversed. Not a mention. The agenda continues.
Yep it is incredibly selective from both the umpires and media. Fair enough pay the Papley one but then reverse it and also pay the Sicily one. How our game still suffers from these inconsistencies is just mind boggling. Where is the real leadership from the AFL on this stuff. Goes to the core and has never been addressed head on.

tendon

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It seems a lifetime ago now, but I seem to remember the gameplan against Brisbane in round 1 being aggressive and a lot more attacking down the middle. Looked to be an exciting evolution yet now, the way we play doesn't resemble anything like that at all. A lot of the same players yet almost seems like they are second guessing everything they do out there. There was one instance where Frost took a mark in the backline and just starting running - stands out as it was so different to every other mark we took, seemed like an instinctive reaction which I feel we need more of

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It seems a lifetime ago now, but I seem to remember the gameplan against Brisbane in round 1 being aggressive and a lot more attacking down the middle. Looked to be an exciting evolution yet now, the way we play doesn't resemble anything like that at all. A lot of the same players yet almost seems like they are second guessing everything they do out there. There was one instance where Frost took a mark in the backline and just starting running - stands out as it was so different to every other mark we took, seemed like an instinctive reaction which I feel we need more of
I think we changed the game plan during the first COVID black out. Came out the next round and got smacked by Geelong by 11 goals when a lot had us favourites in that game.

Looking back, the writing was on the wall then. Perhaps Lloyd was right all along. We're painful to watch at present.

In hindsight, this loss is better for us.

A win, and we just roll out doing the same thing next week, maybe 1 or 2 changes... bring back Poppy & Ceglar and drop Brooksby & Morrison...

This loss is a reality check. Up against a bottom 4 side missing arguably 3 of their best players on the back of Hawks losing past 3 in a row and we were deplorable. I would much rather lose all remaining games this year if I can see something happening, new talent being blooded and the potential of top draft picks being injected into our list.

By seasons end you would expect at least the following 8 players not to be on the list:
Shiels, Statton, Brooksby, Michington, Scully,Burgoyne, Puopulo and Henderson

Not too dissimilar from when Clarko arrived; Lekkas, Graham, Barker, Holland, Tallis..etc were all highly regarded but clearly weren't gonna be part of the next premiership assault.
But the difference is Clarko is attached to the current players whereas back then he wasn't. It seems to be one of the big reasons we have gone backwards. We moved 3 all-time greats on a year early why haven't we stuck to this path? We could have 20-30 games into our next generation.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The umpires got sucked in big time with Papley going down like he had been snipered. Correct 100%

Frawley should of known better.
It's either utterly piss poor umpiring because the umpire got sucked in OR utterly over the top from Frawley. It cannot both!

I know where I sit and that's 110% behind Frawley.

Back