Roast Our medical and high performance team

Remove this Banner Ad

This question was asked of Rawlings at a sponsors catchup.

He said it’s simplistic to just blame the medical staff. It’s an interaction of multiple programs and factors that need to be considered.

Running, weights and match play and how they integrate with each other have got to be assessed. It’s complex but the club is looking at it very closely at the moment... As you would hope and expect. It’s an obvious thing to look at.

With Rawlings having a fresh look at things, I think they’ll sort things out.

The issue is our reluctance to delist talented players who can perform when fit. Majak, Jacobs, Garner, Walker, EVW. I would love to know since being drafted how many games that groups been injured for. Just those 5. Would be a ridiculous amount.

Now add them to the fact that one of Jed, Ziebell, Ahern, Tyson and Wood is bound to have a soft tissue injury pop up randomly and all of a sudden 8-10 players are out. We cannot continually have close to double digit unavailability. We are never going to get anywhere. Flags are built on healthy lists of close to 40 not 30 as success also comes from having strong depth in the VFL.

This sh*t needs to be addressed. Cut our losses the windows closed North.

this is the exact issue that’s plagued the club since 2016, it’s the same players each year

At some point “bad luck” really becomes a cop out.

Medical/high performance staff, Recruitment, List management all big factors in this.

I’m all for drafting Elijah Holland’s end of year, but do you honestly back our system in to get him right? It’s a big risk...

An official review of this whole area underway I believe.
Yes - announced on the news last night.

The first 3 things they are looking at are

. picking blokes in the draft with a history of injuries
. keeping blokes on the list with chronic injuries
. selecting blokes to play on game day who cant walk down the race

After that they are going to look at training, weights, rehab, diet in a really sport science type of way.

At some point “bad luck” really becomes a cop out.

Medical/high performance staff, Recruitment, List management all big factors in this.

I’m all for drafting Elijah Holland’s end of year, but do you honestly back our system in to get him right? It’s a big risk...
Maybe after a thorough review the time could be right.

We did get Simpkin back ok after a broken leg in his junior days. Perez will be another test.

The concerning part to be is moreso the soft tissue injuries we can't seem to get right. It's got to the point you'd almost have a bloke do a knee than a hamstring.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Interesting comments on the wireless last night suggesting that Shaw has overcooked players at training and that is the main cause of our injury toll. I have heard over the last few weeks there are a few unhappy senior players who believe their training levels have been too high. Shaw has an absolute passion for maximum fitness but maybe not balancing training levels with age and tiring bodies.

I suppose when you have a large injury toll then fingers will point, fairly or unfairly. The comment last night was that this story has been bubbling for a few weeks now and the commentator was surprised it had not broken as a bigger story. Let's see what the week brings.

Interesting comments on the wireless last night suggesting that Shaw has overcooked players at training and that is the main cause of our injury toll. I have heard over the last few weeks there are a few unhappy senior players who believe their training levels have been too high. Shaw has an absolute passion for maximum fitness but maybe not balancing training levels with age and tiring bodies.

I suppose when you have a large injury toll then fingers will point, fairly or unfairly. The comment last night was that this story has been bubbling for a few weeks now and the commentator was surprised it had not broken as a bigger story. Let's see what the week brings.
When you hear things like this, do you think we have enough experienced guidance helping Shawry? I know Barrett was always harping on that Shawry is doing everything but some cracks are starting to show and some decisions need to be reviewed.

When you hear things like this, do you think we have enough experienced guidance helping Shawry? I know Barrett was always harping on that Shawry is doing everything but some cracks are starting to show and some decisions need to be reviewed.
Maybe, I suppose. I don't know enough about our medical team but the injury levels seem way too high so something is amiss or we are just very unlucky. Also have to balance this with the fact that the club would be watching every single penny in the current circumstances so most areas would be understaffed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to know who the senior players are. Is it the top end or the blokes who have been allowed to coast for 10 years.

Maybe, I suppose. I don't know enough about our medical team but the injury levels seem way too high so something is amiss or we are just very unlucky. Also have to balance this with the fact that the club would be watching every single penny in the current circumstances so most areas would be understaffed.

I believe that would be a whole industry thing though. How can 17 other clubs get it somewhat right and we get it horribly wrong? This might be a long stretch but didn't Rhyce rip his hamstring doing the 'players' program.

I remember hearing Shaw absolutely flogged the players during shutdown / preseason

It’s his first year though. Injuries are only going to set our fitness back even more

I am stoked we are being proactive though. Very interesting

I remember hearing Shaw absolutely flogged the players during shutdown / preseason

It’s his first year though. Injuries are only going to set our fitness back even more

I am stoked we are being proactive though. Very interesting

I could be wrong but i remember reading on BF how unimpressed Shaw was with the players fitness levels when he first arrived - our penchant for losing close games reinforced this issue. The benchmark fora number of KPIs seems to be low over the years so perhaps new standards need to be set by Shaw.

use the fitness as a way to turf out the mediocre senior players...

Do you recall who it was that made this comment? Because it sounds like it came from someone who hasn't been inside a football club since Tom Hafey stopped coaching. No head coach, and surely not a first-year coach, gets to overrule the conditioning staff especially when it comes to over-training the entire squad.

I'd like to know who the senior players are. Is it the top end or the blokes who have been allowed to coast for 10 years.

Fair call, we all talked about how fit the guys looked coming into pre season, fittest we had seen in a while. Maybe for some fit is not the norm.

Do you recall who it was that made this comment? Because it sounds like it came from someone who hasn't been inside a football club since Tom Hafey stopped coaching. No head coach, and surely not a first-year coach, gets to overrule the conditioning staff especially when it comes to over-training the entire squad.
Fair question. I think it was Brad Hardie but that aside I have heard it said a few times that we were being worked very hard. Too hard? Who knows. But I suppose the injury levels bring extra scrutiny and speculation like this. The interesting part was that he said something along the lines that this story has been bubbling away for a while now and he was surprised it hadn't hit the media but will soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back