MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

Good main event fight. Rounds 1 & 2 were easy to score but I struggled with 3,4 & 5.

It was close....I wouldn't have objected to Till getting his hand raised.

That Chimaev fighter is legit as s**t! I didn't see the performance from last week but I saw what he did against McKee. I'd give him a top 15 opponent for his next fight. He might be the only guy that can beat Usman.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
That Chimaev fighter is legit as sh*t! I didn't see the performance from last week but I saw what he did against McKee. I'd give him a top 15 opponent for his next fight. He might be the only guy that can beat Usman.

Easy. He's looked impressive on the ground against two strikers, one of who was making his debut up a weight class. His grappling looks top notch, but he needs to fight someone with some takedown defense before he gets a shot at someone in the top 15 IMO.

Easy. He's looked impressive on the ground against two strikers, one of who was making his debut up a weight class. His grappling looks top notch, but he needs to fight someone with some takedown defense before he gets a shot at someone in the top 15 IMO.
8 fights - 8 finishes

Similar things were said regarding Khabib's first couple fights in the UFC and then he made blackbelts look like amateurs on the ground. I don't think some takedown defence will stop this guy.

Dale_Thomas

Senior List
Apr 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely stoked for Rob. Great performance coming back from losing his title, shaking off the cobwebs, and clinching a win (with adversity).

While I agree he still looks a bit reckless lunging forward, he showed some serious speed, great kicking, and some solid ground game. Additionally, any question marks over his chin being shot were truly answered. He copped those elbows in the first and fifth like an absolute champ.

Good result for Till too. His stocks don't take too much of a hit, and he's still around the mark for a title in the near-medium term.

Next I'd like to see:

Cannonier vs. winner of Izzy/Costa
Till vs. loser of Izzy/Costa
Hermanson vs. Whittaker

Absolutely stoked for Rob. Great performance coming back from losing his title, shaking off the cobwebs, and clinching a win (with adversity).

While I agree he still looks a bit reckless lunging forward, he showed some serious speed, great kicking, and some solid ground game. Additionally, any question marks over his chin being shot were truly answered. He copped those elbows in the first and fifth like an absolute champ.

Good result for Till too. His stocks don't take too much of a hit, and he's still around the mark for a title in the near-medium term.

Next I'd like to see:

Cannonier vs. winner of Izzy/Costa
Till vs. loser of Izzy/Costa
Hermanson vs. Whittaker

Cannonier v Whittaker

And

Till v Hermanson

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I dont get why Rob would wait. He fought yesterday as the number 1 ranked fighter in the division behind the champ. He should be next in line.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
rob needs to improve if he wants to get his title back.

still putting his head down and throwing sloppy haymakers.

Yeah i really noticed it yesterday, very risky. Solid performance still, a win he needed to get. Still both of the guys who fought yesterday would get murked by Izzy.

Good fun card overall i reckon, Gustaffson was very disappointing though, I thought this was a great fight for him at this point in Werdum's career.

Cannonier's out for a while I think.

Who fights Gastelum next? He's calling for Rob currently.
Has lost 3 on the trot

Should not be fighting anyone in the top 5

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haha after got subbed in the first round he wants to fight the 1 ranked challenger? Absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strangely enough he’d probably be a decent shot against rob with his boxing.

would like him to connect in one of rob’s wild charges forward.

for the record i don’t think he deserves the fight.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wouldn’t be out of this world for them to make Costa vs Whittaker if The Eraser took out the belt in September.

The fight to make if he was fit has to be Cannonier though, he and Rob are the 1 & 2 consenseus challengers behind the title fight. Hermansson behind them

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
But he definitely became way less predictable in the later rounds. The way he he faked take downs with the overhand and cut the angles was very impressive. Basically he's just unlucky that for as good as he is, Adesanyas striking is as good as there has probably ever been. I think he made Till hesitate alot with his countering which could have been a result of being KOd by Masvidal so badly or just generally nervous about Whittaker.
Rob looked great but * he leaves himself open when he goes for the finishing shot.

My memory of the fight might be off, but Rob's overzealous style was only for the first couple of rounds?
Nah he still had the habit all the way through of countering with a wild overhand haymaker. It's the sort of shot the Adesanya would prey on.
Yeah he did settle down a bit but was still prone to throwing the occassional overhand haymaker just not as often as he did in the first round and a half

Like TK said, that is the shot he was throwing v Izzy and got him put away for doing so

Fair points.

From memory in the Izzy fight, he's recklessness was on another level though.

It is great regardless though that the Middleweight divison is starting to get pretty solid with Izzy, Hermanson, Rob and Till, all 32 or under.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Fair points.

From memory in the Izzy fight, he's recklessness was on another level though.

It is great regardless though that the Middleweight divison is starting to get pretty solid with Izzy, Hermanson, Rob and Till, all 32 or under.
Same as round 1 of the till fight he was reckless. Became more calculated as it went on

Back