Preview Changes v Port Adelaide

TheBoss

Oct 28, 2010
I don't think we'll go more than 2 changes unless there are any injuries, but would think about bringing in TMac - either for Jacko or to play 3 talls.

Would love VDB back in, but I thought he was going to miss 1 more.

A few who were down today should get another chance, ie. Hannan, Koz, Bennell.

I'd like to see how Jackson would go on a wing

CTHORANGE

May 7, 2012
Reckon we matchup vs Port pretty well. Wouldn't be surprised to see us win. Hoping Lycett is down to miss another game?

Yes and Port aren't suddenly world beaters, they're just as flakey as we are, so I think we are a real good chance this week.

I feel like we accidentally sped up again against Brisbane to our detriment, it's as if when the opposition bag a couple of goals everyone gets ants in their pants and wants to fight fire with fire. But if we slow the game down with a few 'pointless' chip around kicks at the start of quarters and after a couple of opposition goals I think we look much better as it calms everyone down and players get easy touches of the footy.

Yes and Port aren't suddenly world beaters, they're just as flakey as we are, so I think we are a real good chance this week.

I feel like we accidentally sped up again against Brisbane to our detriment, it's as if when the opposition bag a couple of goals everyone gets ants in their pants and wants to fight fire with fire. But if we slow the game down with a few 'pointless' chip around kicks at the start of quarters and after a couple of opposition goals I think we look much better as it calms everyone down and players get easy touches of the footy.

The conditions weren't really conducive to our gamestyle of the past couple of weeks last night (chipping it round and controlling the footy) so willing to give them a break in that regard.

Made Weids hands and some of his marks all the more remarkable. Could have been his best game for the club ever last night if he had his kicking boots on. Dulled Max's influence in the air BIG TIME.

Hope for a dry game this week.

CTHORANGE

May 7, 2012
The conditions weren't really conducive to our gamestyle of the past couple of weeks last night (chipping it round and controlling the footy) so willing to give them a break in that regard.

Made Weids hands and some of his marks all the more remarkable. Could have been his best game for the club ever last night if he had his kicking boots on. Dulled Max's influence in the air BIG TIME.

Hope for a dry game this week.

Yeh true, forgot about the wet factor, still don't like to see the panic though, hopefully it's something they are working on because it spreads around the team once it gets going.

Weid looked like a different player again last night, he is really high on confidence now, genuinely thinks he can get his hands to anything and doesn't worry about who's in the way anymore. Normally such a reliable kicking action for goal, don't know what happened there.

Imet Hassa

Aug 18, 2016
I reckon Harmes is a fellow who needs direction, not Mensa material - give him a specific job - to run with Robbie Grey. Do nothing else, just be in Grey’s face non stop.
Tell Petracca to stay off the congestion a little, ready to break out from Viney and Oliver being in and under.
Give Nev a holiday sadly and rest Bennell for the upcoming games. Bring in Bedford for forward support for Kossie and Rivers down back.
If weather is good try our 3 tall forwards so bring in TMac, also to push up and give options other than Max as a release from backline. Fritsch or Hannan to have a break.
Brayshaw- beats me.
Alternatively probably will be minimal changes if any at all.
Coaching and selections it turns out may be harder than first appears!

dylan93

Mar 16, 2011
Well T-Mac coming in is a given given how mediocre the tall forwards were.

Plenty of players who could've been better.

Think there'll be a few changes no matter what to get some fresh legs out there.

gawndog37

Oct 18, 2016
I think Bedford was with the group that was kept in Melbourne and now quarantining in Queensland so I doubt that he will be in this week.

Crusty Demon

Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
Leeds United
Westhoff always produces his best footy against us.

He should be dropped for his effort against St Kilda down back, but will probably be swung forward and kick 4 or some sh*t
Yep. Westhoff and Boak always murder us. Don't expect that to change..

saj_21

Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Warney's IPL team!
Any chance of throwing Hunt into the half back/midfield/wing? He is running out of chances, but we could use his pace.

But is a lack of pace our main issue?

I'd say we have looked a lot better without playing on all the time like we did in the early rounds, kicking is more of a need at the moment than outright pace and another poor ball user.

Like i've said before just because Hunt is quick does't mean he can instantly play on the wing.

Apr 12, 2014
Out: Brayshaw, Bennell
In: Tomlinson, T Mac

Considered Jetta out for Rivers but Jetta is a great match-up for Gray.

Tomlinson to play wing instead of Brayshaw, T Mac a mobile tall/wing option - Bennell might struggle to come up on a 4 day break.

Happy with these changes too. Harmes needs to go back to ******* tagging

He got his arse handed to him by Zorko trying to tag him in the first half. Hes just playing s**t.

I'd put Gus in the middle and drop him honestly, at least he hasn't had the benefit of playing in his preferred position like Harmes has.

stEdy

Nov 2, 2007
Everything Harmes touched seemed to go to s**t. Got caught like 3 or 4 times, fumbled incessantly, handballs cut off/to nobody.

Would like to see him back at HFF. Tell him to go for his marks and play on instinct. I think training the pre season at HBF hasn't helped his development at all.

Can’t blame Harmes’ form on his preseason training. You don’t entirely forget how to handle the ball cleanly or kick it just because you spent one off season training with a different line group. He’s not the only out of form player in the comp, plenty have struggled with the reset. Don’t need to be making up excuses, just needs a rocket.

Dancing Potato

Jul 7, 2015
In: Tomlinson and TMac
Out: Brayshaw and Harmes/Bennell/Jones/take your pick (happy for Jones to get another week or two though tbh)

Tomlinson and TMac are mobile enough that this shouldn't make us too tall.

Oct 13, 2015
Blackhawks, 76ers
He got his arse handed to him by Zorko trying to tag him in the first half. Hes just playing sh*t.

I'd put Gus in the middle and drop him honestly, at least he hasn't had the benefit of playing in his preferred position like Harmes has.
I'd thought exactly the same. Gus is really just struggling with exactly what he struggled with last season, he's not a winger. I'd drop Harmes for Tomlinson who goes to the wing, and Gus gets Harmes midfield minutes ... if he doesn't improve from there, out he goes.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
Winnipeg Jets
Can’t blame Harmes’ form on his preseason training. You don’t entirely forget how to handle the ball cleanly or kick it just because you spent one off season training with a different line group. He’s not the only out of form player in the comp, plenty have struggled with the reset. Don’t need to be making up excuses, just needs a rocket.
I agree and I think he's inline to be dropped for sure but he's playing the exact same now as he was before he was given a defined role in the middle. If they don't have room to use him where he's best like Brayshaw I could see him at another club best year.

Jetta can go too, for scoring a 0 in Supercoach and inflicting my 1st loss of the season :mad:
Mate, if you've got Jetta in your supercoach team you need to take your head for a s**t, just kindly. 😂

Oct 13, 2015
Blackhawks, 76ers
So according to this ... https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news...mqy8JIQQSmhwjuoaJ-KhIkvVy5j-4JmQ-QIIfHtrGGEFA

9 players played in a makeshift scratch match between Melbourne/Richmond/Essendon v Carlton
The 9 were ...
TMac
Spargo
Brown(e)
ANB
Hunt
Sparrow
Jordon
Rivers
Smith

With Tomlinson the carry over emergency, and the rest presumably still doing their quarantine.

Apparently everyone was great ... so thats helpful ...

So according to this ... https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news...mqy8JIQQSmhwjuoaJ-KhIkvVy5j-4JmQ-QIIfHtrGGEFA

9 players played in a makeshift scratch match between Melbourne/Richmond/Essendon v Carlton
The 9 were ...
TMac
Spargo
Brown(e)
ANB
Hunt
Sparrow
Jordon
Rivers
Smith

With Tomlinson the carry over emergency, and the rest presumably still doing their quarantine.

I appreciate the (e) touch so schmutt knows which Brown you're talking about. 😂

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗

The 9 were ...
TMac
Spargo
Brown(e)
ANB
Hunt
Sparrow
Jordon
Rivers
Smith

Remember our VFL reviews a few years ago?

"Such and such had three disposals and one mark. Such and such's performance was really pleasing, and they'll be pushing for senior selection."