Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Not our best night out.

+ Serong. Special shout-out, and I'll be ******* livid if he doesn't get the Rising Star nom. 22 disposals, 7 tackles and a goal, while lining up for a decent part of the match on Danger and reducing his influence.

+ The young mids. We got beaten, but some good games by Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra. If they're the future of our midfield then the question is when, not if.

+ Ryan. Far from disgraced against a very good key forward.

- 2 goals in a game of football is dire. Is it the wet, our personnel, our connection between the mids and forwards, or something else? We should be better then that.

- My buddy Acres had a horrible night. If we had manpower he'd be dropped. Banfield will also be very lucky to stay in.

- We don't play well in the wet. Hoping that Tim Flannery prediction about Perth being in perpetual drought from climate change comes through, or else I'll have to start looking at weather reports before turning the footy on.

- Somehow being eternally optimistic about Freo.

+ Some very good talent at this year's draft.

Not our best night out.

+ Serong. Special shout-out, and I'll be ******* livid if he doesn't get the Rising Star nom. 22 disposals, 7 tackles and a goal, while lining up for a decent part of the match on Danger and reducing his influence.

+ The young mids. We got beaten, but some good games by Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra. If they're the future of our midfield then the question is when, not if.

+ Ryan. Far from disgraced against a very good key forward.

- 2 goals in a game of football is dire. Is it the wet, our personnel, our connection between the mids and forwards, or something else? We should be better then that.

- My buddy Acres had a horrible night. If we had manpower he'd be dropped. Banfield will also be very lucky to stay in.

- We don't play well in the wet. Hoping that Tim Flannery prediction about Perth being in perpetual drought from climate change comes through, or else I'll have to start looking at weather reports before turning the footy on.

- Somehow being eternally optimistic about Freo.

+ Some very good talent at this year's draft.

Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong are going to form a strong midfield trio. Hopefully this will allow Fyfe to move more into the fwd in the future

+ Serong was simply awesome
+ Ryan was damn good against Hawkins, don’t think Hawkins’ tally actually reflects the battle between those two
+ solid games from Andy and Cerra
- everything else

- Those were really horrible conditions. I can't remember the last home game that was that bad. It was like a continual mist at the ground making it wet and slippery but still firm enough to be too fast. Geelong weren't immune - they made a heap of mistakes, except the umpires gave them the ball back for another try almost every time.
- Way too risk adverse even once the game was over. I would rather them try something exciting (eg use the corridor) and lose by a heap more than to try and protect it not blowing out further. Too many short kicks but not all the guys kicking fault because our structure ahead of the ball often wasn't great.
- JLo seemed to indicate the players weren't executing what he asked them to. I kind of get it though because Geelong certainly didn't look like they were executing a well thought out game plan either.
- Injuries! Player down in opening minutes is ridiculous. Darcy and Walters ending up on the bench for the 4th meant we had just one rotation at the end. The players were spent - so good to see them still trying to the end.
- F'in free kicks. I've never seen a team lose so many 50/50 calls. Did we win any at all? Those OOB on the full should make the numbers look closer though.
+ Our young mids were sensational tonight. Serong massive - is going to be a gun. Brayshaw best on ground for us. And Cerra is criminally underrated I think. Those three could take this club places.
+ Ryan possibly the best defender in the AFL. Annoying that Hawkins ended up with some cheapies - don't think any were Ryan's fault though.
+ Hughes bowling over Danger behind the play (inside Geelong's 50) when Danger tried to take him down to get separation. He got up and had a whinge to the ump but it was clearly his own fault.
+ Mundy seemed to show great leadership tonight. Big improvement on previous couple of weeks from him.
+ We got through the game and managed to avoid our lowest ever score despite having pretty much everything conspiring against us. In other words, surely we can only go up from here?

Positive
- My girlfriend ended up having a really good time at her first game, she's not really associated with any team but she had fun with the spectacle of it all, so at least I know she'll wanna come for more games.

That's it for me, pissed off we lost like that of course, but the small victories of her having a good time are bigger to me than a football game.

Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong were brilliant today and I'm sure they're building in confidence. Fyfe's absence may be a blessing in disguise. Ryan was also fantastic down back and thought Watson did some good things in debut.

They were tough conditions against a more experienced and well-oiled team. I thought we were competitive for large chunks but just didn't have the polish or composure at times - and particularly giving away soft goals.

They were tough conditions and we were one down within the first minute. Let's move on to next week.

We sucked.
A fine day would have seen a 20 goal thrashing.
I know injuries are an issue but

Darcy gave away 5 free kicks against 2nd string rucks
Our biggest defender was 190cm and weighed about 85kgs
Running defenders don’t run
Our best midfielders are either kids or 35yo. Small forwards don’t tackle or kick goals or basically do anything at all

Positives... Serrong...Brayshaw...Cerra...Ryan...Watson...
Serrong saving us from complete humiliation and shutting up the gleeful Dunstall with a brilliant goal.

Negatives...(in order of performance)
Acres...Banfield...Margetts...Darcy...Seeing Jlo age three months in three hours

+ Serong - I kept being amazed by how quick his hands and decisions were.

+ Ryan - tried hard all night.

- Darcy couldn't have given away more ruck frees if he tried

- S&C team helps another one bite the dust. Given our outs, it was always going to be difficult but Tucker out early was gutting.

- the sideline, at some point, I don't know maybe when you're 4 goals down with 15 minutes to go, it's probably time to risk it down the middle to try and win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Acres came over from st kilda demanding a wing spot. Apparently Jlo promised it to him. Well I’m sorry, but when you turn in a performance like that you don’t get to demand jack s**t. Aish has to go back on the wing next week and Acres back to the scratch matches.

We sucked.
A fine day would have seen a 20 goal thrashing.
I know injuries are an issue but

Disagree, we would of been in the game more tbh...We just didn't adjust to the wet weather brand of footy until the 3rd. why did we persisted with short kicking along the boundary in basically a pool of water and soapy induced football..and we're doing these little dinky kicks trying to play a slick quick game in impossible conditions. Go long get territory...do whatever u can to get i50 as quick as often as u can.

Pathetic coaching or the players kept to structure and didn't adapt.

Acres came over from st kilda demanding a wing spot. Apparently Jlo promised it to him. Well I’m sorry, but when you turn in a performance like that you don’t get to demand jack sh*t. Aish has to go back on the wing next week and Acres back to the scratch matches.

I can't disagree with that.

But he's new and will be given more of a go...for now.

Possibly both -ve and +ve
Guthrie absolutely slicing your mids apart in the 1st quarter
The coaching panel making a move to curb his influence. Was still ok not sure what the matchup the coaches went with but was quieter after 1st quarter
You've got a beauty in serong
Ryan battled manfully on Hawkins
Was Conca meant to be playing a negative role on thoey.... got a flogging

Our attack is concerning. The last 2 weeks we have scored 7 goals.

Last week was a dry track and apart from a 5 min burst in the last we didn't look like scoring in the 2nd half.

Last night 5 mins into the game i thought gee whiz we might struggle to get to 30 points here. Well we didn't even get to 20.

Is it lack of current personnel available or game plan probably both atm.

We seem more conservative especially from the kick outs. Not once did we try a barrell down the middle to get the ball out of the d50. Just to the boundary line where it just boomerang back towards geelong goals.

Heck geelong had one kick out in 1st quarter they went for straight down the line and got it back down the other end in 10 seconds.

Also full credit to the fans who went last night in the weather and stuck it out in what looked terrible conditions

also an over reaction given our outs and season performances.
If that was our best 22, then ok.
That‘s how I feel, and have for a long time. Players are weak, lots have left and the spirit and passion is GONE.

This is the lowest I’ve felt about the club. It’s dire.

I really don’t get that. Our best 22 with everyone available is middle of the comp at best. Tonight we had 6 or 7 of our best players missing including our capt and best player. We were 1 player short the whole game and the umps reemed us. And then you’ve seen a stunningly good game from a player in his fourth game of AFL ever. We’ve been in much worse positions in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back