Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

ROOS SUFFER FIXTURE BLOW

North Melbourne has suffered a major blow after Tasmania announced it would not open its borders with Queensland in coming weeks.

Premier Peter Gutwein said Tasmania will have “safe travel bubbles’ with Western Australia, South Australia and Northern Territory in two weeks.

It means the fixtured Round 11 clash between North Melbourne and Melbourne at Blundstone Arena on August 9 will need to be moved, unless special exemptions are granted. The rules will come into place on August 7.

Up to Cazaly for Norf?

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This has to affect us as well seeing how we play north the following week at Blundstone Arena, surely?

...and haven't Melbourne been mucked around with their season.....still to play Essendon left over from the Covid positive test of their player after that game was cancelled, now this.

This has to affect us as well seeing how we play north the following week at Blundstone Arena, surely?

...and haven't Melbourne been mucked around with their season.....still to play Essendon left over from the Covid positive test of their player after that game was cancelled, now this.
All other teams will have a bye between now and the end of the season.
Melbourne and Essendon have already had theirs.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Hard to predict with any confidence where the draw will end up but you might think Lions play a few games in Cairns???

Really only 3 places in QLD I think would be suitable locations: Gabba, Metricon and Cairns. Otherwise NT?

Hard to predict with any confidence where the draw will end up but you might think Lions play a few games in Cairns???
If we do, we would be giving up home games at the Gabba.
Gold Coast and North to hub up there and maybe we go up to play the QClash?

Maybe a small thing, but not having his usual bed could've made the world of difference.

Whilst I've never had back issues, I travel a bit in my career, well I did prior to this year and there is a noticeable difference in how I sleep when I'm in my bed compared to hotels and you'd think for professional athletes, particularly for one as big as Stef, that their bed's are of huge importance with recovery etc.

I say all of this with absolute no knowledge of whether this contributed to his stress fractures or the ability to help with his rehabilitation whilst in Sydney.

Bone is like a sponge, it's calcified material filled with little open pockets to maximise its strength without it becoming to heavy to lift. Repeated force on the bone causes it to compress and the body reabsorbs that bone and reforms it. Bones are continually being absorbed and reforming.

Stress fractures occur when the bone is absorbed faster than the new bone is formed. In Stef's case the repeated stress of a 100kg man jumping continuously would damage the bone and the 6-8weeks is how long it takes for the bone to regrow.

Stress fractures are common with osteoporosis, in long term anorexics and obviously with athletes. Gymnastics and ultra marathon runners are highly prone to them.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Dylan12 you posted a slig
Personally, I think the 'festival of footy' is overkill and again shows the AFL is pandering to the AFLPA for this need "to get games away". Sounds like there is no care for the quality of the game, provided there is quantity. But that's right, because the Big Bash does it (which I've not watched one single game), the AFL should do it as if there is some massive success to the secret of a glut of the same product, day after day after day.

Quite a few people I've spoken to have no desire to watch every game(s), every day for 20 days straight. I know I don't. A lot of people don't and many don't watch every game of every round, even if they're able to so now being afforded the opportunity to watch St Kilda play Sydney, North Melb v Melb etc on some random night throughout this 'festival' is certainly not going to provide enjoyment because we're stuck at home.

These condensed rounds are just stupid IMO and will only detract from what should be some good games of footy, but when your team is backing with 4 games in less than 2 weeks, don't tell me that is supposed to enjoyable or those games will be high quality spectacles particularly those 3 games across 8 days.

Dear Dylan 12,

I am a cricket obsessive having a full set of Wisden, Cricket, A Weekly Record of the Game (google these if you don't know what they are) and when people ask me if I like 20/20 I reply, "Of course I do. I like all forms of cricket: Park cricket, test cricket, 50/50. I want more forms of cricket including the former great Single Wicket cricket.

I want more footy: double headers every night and a triple header on Friday nights.

Yours faithfully,

Derrinalphil

PS England 1/7 Go the Windies

GrayLion

Debutant
Jul 28, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Explain this squiggle.png

According to Squiggle, the season will look like this..... Hmmm......

Apparently it will be west coast and lions competing for the rights to host the grand final as we both are best advantaged by the new draw where we get extended home stretches.

And the Victorian teams don't have a real 'home advantage' cause they play at neutral grounds.

What a load of shite.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apparently it will be west coast and lions competing for the rights to host the grand final as we both are best advantaged by the new draw where we get extended home stretches.

And the Victorian teams don't have a real 'home advantage' cause they play at neutral grounds.

What a load of sh*te.

Click bait

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

What a load of sh*te.

Lol I knew this was Richard Hinds before I even clicked on it. He's a fine journalist but a massive collingwood nuffie who spent trade periods whinging about Beams/Aish on twitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lol I knew this was Richard Hinds before I even clicked on it. He's a fine journalist but a massive collingwood nuffie who spent trade periods whinging about Beams/Aish on twitter.
Richard Hinds is a campaigner and a low life. Just a pure oxygen thief of the highest order.

He was one of the reasons I stopped watching Offsiders early last year.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think that piece meets the definition of clickbait though, Richard Hinds genuinely would believe it and the headline is accurate to what the piece is. A lot of fans of Victorian teams would also agree with it (see any discussion about HGA on the main board).

It's just a dumb opinion.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The virus has to be much more wide spread in the US than their current figures indicate.

So many stories from the US of people who think they have the virus being turned away from hospitals.

One game in Tasmania moved, but no word yet on our match the following round.

It seems like a strong possibility we'll be travelling to Adelaide as well, seeing as its North's 'home' game and there are no other games at Adelaide Oval that round.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great to see the change to seating allocation for the Gabba Bulldogs game.
Previous system of every second row vacant had no chance to reach a 50 % stadium capacity of around 20,000.
With the new changes they should be able to lift the crowd numbers from 11,000 to possibly 17,000 plus.
Also great that priority given so ballot allocation will be "same seating category as your membership"
So no seating me behind a cement wall this time. I hope
Below part of e-mail to members

TICKET ALLOCATION PROCESS
Tickets will be randomly allocated to eligible Pledge members via an online ballot system with preference given to allocate within the same seating category as your membership. Under recent changes to the Gabba's COVID Safe plan, as approved by Queensland Health, seating will now be allocated in a chequerboard style with empty seats in-front, behind and beside each seating group.

Great to see the change to seating allocation for the Gabba Bulldogs game.
Previous system of every second row vacant had no chance to reach a 50 % stadium capacity of around 20,000.
With the new changes they should be able to lift the crowd numbers from 11,000 to possibly 17,000 plus.
Also great that priority given so ballot allocation will be "same seating category as your membership"
So no seating me behind a cement wall this time. I hope
Below part of e-mail to members

TICKET ALLOCATION PROCESS
Tickets will be randomly allocated to eligible Pledge members via an online ballot system with preference given to allocate within the same seating category as your membership. Under recent changes to the Gabba's COVID Safe plan, as approved by Queensland Health, seating will now be allocated in a chequerboard style with empty seats in-front, behind and beside each seating group.
Not sure who it was the other day on the Roar Deal who said the new capacity with the new plan will be 16800.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gabba will need to rip out the veranda seeing we're very likely to get the final (pending full crowd attendance)
They will have to look at that sooner rather than later.
Even if the Gabba misses out on the GF they should be gifted other finals as reward to saving the season.
Also hope the section (13) next to this area is also completed in time.
Will need to take down that huge advertising sign located behind the players interchange bench to free up premium priced seating.
Quite a few things they can do to get capacity closer to 40,000. Not sure they can get to the 42,000 capacity as officially listed
Need Gil to at least tell Queensland Government they will get x number of finals no matter what.
Otherwise the Government won't spend money on a maybe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back