Review Positives and Negatives against Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Still filthy at Banfields effort against Oconner. If he’s not in the team to tackle and pressure, then that there gets him dropped.

Positives
Serong Cerra Brayshaw - kids look the goods. Serong best game and should get a rising star nom, other 2 have lifted each week. Serong 7 tackles Brayshaw 8 Cerra 9.

Watson - not a terrible debut in tough conditions against a good team with a lot of i50 pressure looked composed and a couple good efforts.

Ryan - punched out his weight class again. The reward we will see from him
Moving to his proper role when our keys are back will be huge.

mundy - looked more his old self. Still a bit off.

and That’s about it.

negatives
Banfield Shultz and Matera. Delist material. A game all 3 should have thrived in.

ryan - have him in both catigories. had some absolute brain fart moments. Poor defense on the line & handballed rather than just kicking outside 50

darcy - far too many free kicks against.
Still not convinced he’s the guy. Has had ripper

Walters - stop *ing playing for frees.

Wilson & Acres - both had stinkers. Both will play more good than bad games for uS

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our attack is concerning. The last 2 weeks we have scored 7 goals.

Last week was a dry track and apart from a 5 min burst in the last we didn't look like scoring in the 2nd half.

Last night 5 mins into the game i thought gee whiz we might struggle to get to 30 points here. Well we didn't even get to 20.

Is it lack of current personnel available or game plan probably both atm.

We seem more conservative especially from the kick outs. Not once did we try a barrell down the middle to get the ball out of the d50. Just to the boundary line where it just boomerang back towards geelong goals.

Heck geelong had one kick out in 1st quarter they went for straight down the line and got it back down the other end in 10 seconds.

Also full credit to the fans who went last night in the weather and stuck it out in what looked terrible conditions

Our small forward is playing on ball and then over the last 5 years we’ve brought in to the club to bolster that area; Colyer, Schultz, Matera, Switkowski, Deluca...what do you expect? Absolutely terrible list management.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Negative
We’ve been in the comp for 25 years do you think we would understand how to play in the wet.

Of course Geelong should be better than us because they would have more practice but seriously we don’t even know the basics!

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Negative
We’ve been in the comp for 25 years do you think we would understand how to play in the wet.

Of course Geelong should be better than us because they would have more practice but seriously we don’t even know the basics!

This was the biggest disappointment to me and even the guys that grew up in Vic weren’t getting it. It seriously looked like most of these guys hadn’t played in the wet for a decade. Surely we anticipated it to be wet and spoke about the basics before the game, and at every break? Do we have another dumbarse brigade at Freo?

also an over reaction given our outs and season performances.
If that was our best 22, then ok.

Here in lies the problem doesn't it? We don't actually have a best 22 because our injury issues year after year after ******* year are a constant.

On paper our best 22 is sensational, but the reality is that we don't ever get close to having those guys on the park and available together. It seems to be impossible to get even 80% of them our there at the same time.

Until we make some changes to be a more "high performing" club this will be a constant and we will be making excuses for injury each year. It is WHO WE ARE as a club at the moment and the on field results can't be excused because of it, someone needs to be accountable to it and the changes need to be made.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
The sooner that we get a change in medical team the better it will be for our club in the long run. More chances to get our star players on the park. Both teams were ******* terrible last night, we were just worse than them, they took advantage of the opportunities they had, and we pissed them away. Banfield is absolutely useless, and as much as I don't want him in our team again, it's pretty silly to think that's gonna be the last game of footy he'll ever play, he'll be there next week unfortunately. As much as I think Blakely is extremely average, they have to give him a chance.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is the lowest I’ve felt about the club. It’s dire.

I've felt much worse. Honestly I didn't feel overly negative about last night.

Our midfield has always been my biggest concern especially after losing Neale and Hill, but games from Cerra and especially Brayshaw and Serong showed we have some serious talent coming through in that department. That was a very big positive last night.

There's a lot of substandard players in the team right now which is why we look the way we do but they'll be moved on once our availability gets better and young talent like Sturt, Henry, Young come through to replace the foot soldiers.

The year probably won't get much better but we're starting to look well placed for the future. The biggest issue facing the club right now is just availability of our list, it has to be the top priority behind closed doors surely. It's not just the availability on any given week, theses guys Sturt, Logue, Hogan, Cerra, Brayshaw, Young, Serong etc HAVE to play a lot of games together to build a team cohesion.

aussieviking

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Esperance
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
swan districts
Acres came over from st kilda demanding a wing spot. Apparently Jlo promised it to him. Well I’m sorry, but when you turn in a performance like that you don’t get to demand jack sh*t. Aish has to go back on the wing next week and Acres back to the scratch matches.

I agree. He looks the part but has delivered nothing so far. People are critical of Bewley but he leaves acres far behind on performance

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The sooner that we get a change in medical team the better it will be for our club in the long run. More chances to get our star players on the park. Both teams were ******* terrible last night, we were just worse than them, they took advantage of the opportunities they had, and we pissed them away. Banfield is absolutely useless, and as much as I don't want him in our team again, it's pretty silly to think that's gonna be the last game of footy he'll ever play, he'll be there next week unfortunately. As much as I think Blakely is extremely average, they have to give him a chance.
Given the dire status of the Covid-19 situation there, now could be a good time to see what's available in the fitness dept's of US sports teams. Could be some ripe for poaching.

But it might not be a bad idea to ease up on some of the invective on players like Banfield. He's out there playing a role. Clearly he's not useless, otherwise he wouldn't be getting a game. People who are more aware and watch it more closely than us (ie. the footy dept) obviously see his value to the team right now.

Having said that, last night would've been prime for Blakely. Simple..."get ball and bang it forward".

muckypup

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Bayswater Bowling & Rec Club
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The WACA's
  • Young'uns looking pretty good.

• Valuing 'effort' over 'system'. Possibly hangover from Rossie's Regime. Exacerbated in the wet. All our players need to get system first and push your effort into that. There's a fair bit to unpack on that and the injuries play a part. Its more constructive criticism. JLo mentions it almost every week in his presser and did again last night.
  • Injuries and injury management (*groan*)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Positive
- Young midfield was valiant
- Ryan was fantastic
- Effort was decent

Negative
- Most of our better players were the younger players. Doesn't say much for some of the guys we have been investing in for years.
- Acres and Banfield were terrible
- We just take to long to kick. When you are in congestion on a night like last night, just kick the ball. Don't stop take are a couple of shuffle steps and think about it
- Poor tactics : Just two examples:
1) I didn't understand using Fredrick as the deepest forward. You need a player with more 1-on-1 presence as your deepest forward in a territory game: more confidence for the kickers to just blast deep, more chance to lock it in as the tall forward fights a draw, more scope to use Fredrick's running ability by him running back to front and square at the hot spot from HF
2) Once again we congested ourselves by pushing up far too high. How much of this is coach-driven vs player-driven (the forwards keep pushing up out of position against the coaches' advice) I don't know. But it is seriously dumb football. If it is the forwards not following advice then the best thing to do us to drop a few of them. The penny will soon drop.
- Quite a few of our footballers have no game sense and just can't react to changing circumstances using their own initiative

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
This is the lowest I’ve felt about the club. It’s dire.

What?

If I was a Fremantle fan itd be the highest ive felt about the club in the last 3 years.

How can you not be impressed with your last few drafts? You finally turned the corner in that regard and are drafting well

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here in lies the problem doesn't it? We don't actually have a best 22 because our injury issues year after year after ******* year are a constant.

On paper our best 22 is sensational, but the reality is that we don't ever get close to having those guys on the park and available together. It seems to be impossible to get even 80% of them our there at the same time.

Until we make some changes to be a more "high performing" club this will be a constant and we will be making excuses for injury each year. It is WHO WE ARE as a club at the moment and the on field results can't be excused because of it, someone needs to be accountable to it and the changes need to be made.

Sensational is a bit strong. Can’t agree with that. Most best 22 sides put up by posters on here included Bewley, Acres, Cam and Henry. 3 are average at best and one is untrue (but we know he’ll be a star).

Sensational is a bit strong. Can’t agree with that. Most best 22 sides put up by posters on here included Bewley, Acres, Cam and Henry. 3 are average at best and one is untrue (but we know he’ll be a star).

Lets not get stuck on that point and focus on the part thats actually relevant, WE DO NOT have a best 22 because we will never see it on the park.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lets not get stuck on that point and focus on the part thats actually relevant, WE DO NOT have a best 22 because we will never see it on the park.
Bloody sucks - been three way over the last four or so years. Finally people have stopped blaming Lyon and realise that we will be garbage until we can field at least 80% of our best 22 each week. We should be hoping for 85-90% but we are at about 50-60% regularly. No chance as long as that continues.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This was the biggest disappointment to me and even the guys that grew up in Vic weren’t getting it. It seriously looked like most of these guys hadn’t played in the wet for a decade. Surely we anticipated it to be wet and spoke about the basics before the game, and at every break? Do we have another dumbarse brigade at Freo?

What I don’t get was JLo speaking at one of the breaks talking about losing ‘shape’ behind the ball and that was the problem. I hear him talking about ‘shape’ during a normal dry weather game but surely most of that goes out the window during heavy wet weather game.

You would think they would just go back to wet weather fundamentals.

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
We sucked.
A fine day would have seen a 20 goal thrashing.
I know injuries are an issue but

Darcy gave away 5 free kicks against 2nd string rucks
Our biggest defender was 190cm and weighed about 85kgs
Running defenders don’t run
Our best midfielders are either kids or 35yo. Small forwards don’t tackle or kick goals or basically do anything at all
I get that the stats say Darcy gave away 5 frees but boy he got no help from the Umps. If they were adjudicating Blicavs the same way I could cop it but they weren't at just about every boundary throw-in he was effectively shepherding Darcy out of the contest which I am pretty sure is illegal but not according to the umps. Darcy's frustration and desire to win the contest led to several free kicks for Blicavs but if the early call gets made he doesn't infringe.

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
What I don’t get was JLo speaking at one of the breaks talking about losing ‘shape’ behind the ball and that was the problem. I hear him talking about ‘shape’ during a normal dry weather game but surely most of that goes out the window during heavy wet weather game.

You would think they would just go back to wet weather fundamentals.
I think he was trying to say that there's no point playing wet weather footy in the back half by hoofing it forward to a bunch of Geelong players. It happened a lot in the first half.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
Positives
I didn't go to the game.

Negatives
I watched the game on TV.

It's hard to imagine a more depressing two games for supporters than our last two games. Sure some players show a little but as a team unit who play and work together it's horrible.

Might have to sell the TV me thinks?

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
I get that the stats say Darcy gave away 5 frees but boy he got no help from the Umps. If they were adjudicating Blicavs the same way I could cop it but they weren't at just about every boundary throw-in he was effectively shepherding Darcy out of the contest which I am pretty sure is illegal but not according to the umps. Darcy's frustration and desire to win the contest led to several free kicks for Blicavs but if the early call gets made he doesn't infringe.

Reckon a couple of those free were penalizing Darcy for simply being stronger. He is a little clumsy yes, but still very young and inexperienced for a ruck.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
In the cold hard light of day l don't think we were that bad. We had some terrible moments and I've mentioned l think after the last two games about our rucks giving away frees which continued yesterday.
Fredericks 1st miss, Bailey's missed tackle, l could go on and on.
Umpiring was bizarre, the frees were weren't paid was the issue. Just completely wrong decisions and a lot of them.
But, it was a hard bloody game. I mentioned a few weeks ago about Cerra lacking strength over the ball and this is the type of game where that strength is really needed. Cerra played well BTW.
But Mundy, Dangerfield know how to keep their feet when an opponent comes in from the side and bumps them. There were a lot of bodies flying in and for the most part we did really well.
Decision making on the whole was poor but there was a lot of pressure out there and not much space. Problem being when we had no pressure and lots of space we didn't capitalise on it.
I think they wanted Fredericks in a Stephenson kind of role but he wasn't ready for it. We didn't use his speed enough.
Really missed Langdon and BHill too, their speed and running up and down the wings compared to the output of their replacements was telling.
At the end with 5 mins to go we were only 20 points down, we lost by 30? Hardly a thrashing. Looked a lot worse than what it was. Geelong should've annihilated us on paper. They missed a few yes, but was it the end of the 2nd where we gave them two shots on goal in 60 seconds?
Not a game I'll watch again. There will be some sore boys today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back