Politics Coon cheese?

change the name?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What was so special about Edward Coon's cheese anyway?

Not a lot

He did come up with a technique that was known as "cooning". This is basically maturing the cheese at a higher temperature so that it matures more quickly.

So he didn't invent the internal combustion engine, but he came up with a way to tune the engine differently.

Personally, coon is meh cheese because it disrespects cheesemaking. Cheese is a living product, and it's letting those cultures and bacterial and moulds do their magic that makes a truly wonderful product. Compare coon which is aged for just a few months to a product aged for 12 months and it's like comparing flavourless plastic to a flavourful punch in the face.

This is a technique that is about mass producing a low cost item, doesn't need to be commemorated.

Not a lot

He did come up with a technique that was known as "cooning". This is basically maturing the cheese at a higher temperature so that it matures more quickly.

So he didn't invent the internal combustion engine, but he came up with a way to tune the engine differently.

Personally, coon is meh cheese because it disrespects cheesemaking. Cheese is a living product, and it's letting those cultures and bacterial and moulds do their magic that makes a truly wonderful product. Compare coon which is aged for just a few months to a product aged for 12 months and it's like comparing flavourless plastic to a flavourful punch in the face.

This is a technique that is about mass producing a low cost item, doesn't need to be commemorated.

Sounds to me like the bloke was an innovator, not that I care about “disrespecting cheesemaking” of course.

Sounds to me like the bloke was an innovator, not that I care about “disrespecting cheesemaking” of course.

he created an innovation, yes, but hardly anything groundbreaking

for mass produced cheese, the creation of what we call processed cheese was much more profound. also people have been playing with manipulation of maturation for years, he just patented his specific technique

cheesemaking is an art, because you are relying on living organisms to transform the product into what you want over time periods that can last several years. its why a 1kg blue cheese can cost hundreds of dollars compared $12 for the same weight in Coon

for mass produced cheese, the creation of what we call processed cheese was much more profound. also people have been playing with manipulation of maturation for years, he just patented his specific technique

cheesemaking is an art, because you are relying on living organisms to transform the product into what you want over time periods that can last several years. its why a 1kg blue cheese can cost hundreds of dollars compared $12 for the same weight in Coon

you sound like a toff w***er haha

most people want/need the $12 block of cheese for day to day and some idiots pay $100+ for a block of cheese

you sound like a toff w***er haha

most people want/need the $12 block of cheese for day to day and some idiots pay $100+ for a block of cheese

if its for nuking on grilled sandwiches, i'd say use anything. same with kids sandwiches

if you're using it for your own sandwiches or cooking, paying a little bit extra makes a massive difference. The younger cheese is the less flavour it has

if its for nuking on grilled sandwiches, i'd say use anything. same with kids sandwiches

if you're using it for your own sandwiches or cooking, paying a little bit extra makes a massive difference. The younger cheese is the less flavour it has

I use anything for sandwiches etc, but dont use coon or anything like that for a cheese platter - but do get coles Brie & Camembert, taste pretty good for $3-$5.

I use anything for sandwiches etc, but dont use coon or anything like that for a cheese platter - but do get coles Brie & Camembert, taste pretty good for $3-$5.

for cheese platters buy the stuff on discount

cheese is best close to its expiry date, but supermarkets have to sell it within a certain buffer. to offload it before then, they heavily discount to move it off shelf

usually its stuff like 30-40% off

The Coon process still relies on living organisms, it just happens faster. The flavour can be manipulated to get a mature taste faster but the texture of an aged cheese can't be faked.

To celebrate that everyone can enjoy cheese and not just rich people I think the new name for the brand should be Pleb Cheese.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Coon process still relies on living organisms, it just happens faster. The flavour can be manipulated to get a mature taste faster but the texture of an aged cheese can't be faked.

To celebrate that everyone can enjoy cheese and not just rich people I think the new name for the brand should be Pleb Cheese.

agreed, and thats my gripe - young cheese tastes young (bland and very clean). these processes can make up for some of that, but they never do it very well

this process is not about making a good cheese more quickly, its about getting an okay cheese out of the warehouse more quickly.

agreed, and thats my gripe - young cheese tastes young (bland and very clean). these processes can make up for some of that, but they never do it very well

this process is not about making a good cheese more quickly, its about getting an okay cheese out of the warehouse more quickly.

You're really into cheese hey? I guess just buy the cheese you want and don't buy the stuff you don't?

You're really into cheese hey? I guess just buy the cheese you want and don't buy the stuff you don't?

used to work in the industry, so you learn a fair bit about how its made.

some food works really well for the commoditization techniques. I have canned fruit, canned beans/peas/carrots, and snap frozen veggies because their manufacture techniques help preserve the product quality, which means they are usually as good as the fresh stuff we have access to (because our fresh stuff isn't really "fresh" either).

you then have the weirder stuff like shanks. Most shanks you buy in a pub are not "cooked" in the pub. They come pre-preped in a poly bag with the spices and gravy, and they just finish the cooking process on site. for something like that, it actually works better (because most places dont have the time to properly slow cook them in advance).

Some s**t just *s food up however. Using vegie oil instead of butter makes shitty biscuits. chocolate with corn syrup instead of cocoa butter tastes like arse. desserts with vanillin instead of vanilla just tastes artificial. and the less said about mechanically extracted meat the better

no shock most of these techniques come from the USA. Their food generally is cheap, in massive quantities, but tastes like cardboard (I was surprised how much difference even their maccas has compared to ours)

Tomahawk steaks are the biggest rip off in the meat section. Charging you more for all that extra bone.

It's just a rib eye showing off.

I have a good mind to get on to the Indigenous first peoples of North America and see if they can put in a complaint.

Tomahawk steaks are the biggest rip off in the meat section. Charging you more for all that extra bone.

It's just a rib eye showing off.

I have a good mind to get on to the Indigenous first peoples of North America and see if they can put in a complaint.
It’s called a cattlemen steak isn’t it?

Canadian companies going the big grovel lately. Hell's Basement Brewery in Alberta released its Huruhuru pale ale two years ago on the understanding that Huruhuru was Maori for "feather". Turns out it also means pubic hair. I'm not sure why pubic hair is offensive. But cue the standard OTT apology.

"We wish to make especially clear that it was not our intent to infringe upon, appropriate, or offend the Maori culture or people in any way; to those who feel disrespected, we apologise."

Canadian companies going the big grovel lately. Hell's Basement Brewery in Alberta released its Huruhuru pale ale two years ago on the understanding that Huruhuru was Maori for "feather". Turns out it also means pubic hair. I'm not sure why pubic hair is offensive. But cue the standard OTT apology.

"We wish to make especially clear that it was not our intent to infringe upon, appropriate, or offend the Maori culture or people in any way; to those who feel disrespected, we apologise."
Its Canada though. They are full over the top PC

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Back