Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Clarkson needs to be called out for his comments about Papley. Horse needs to go absolutely beserk.

I think Horse responded in the best way possible, personally.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I know the trade request wasn't all about the money, but if we wanted to renegotiate his contact could we do so? The bloke deserves a raise.

id agree with this. However it’d be really great if Carlton came around 9th as the picks could be good and they’ll believe he will make the difference for them. I’m assuming he will go in this respect and he’ll be bloody hard to replace but I still think we are 2-3 years from a side that could seriously have a crack at a flag and I don’t mind grabbing a few future high picks to get there.

I know the trade request wasn't all about the money, but if we wanted to renegotiate his contact could we do so? The bloke deserves a raise.

This is dumb, you deal with pay raises at the end of the contract, If he outperforms his contract, then that's wonderful for the team, you don't willingly reduce your cap 1 year into a 4 year contract.

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
This is dumb, you deal with pay raises at the end of the contract, If he outperforms his contract, then that's wonderful for the team, you don't willingly reduce your cap 1 year into a 4 year contract.
I'd say it's not really "dumb" to show appreciation to a player who's significantly out-performing his contract and is getting big money offers elsewhere but ok.

If anything it's paying for past performance by "dealing with pay rises at the end of the contract" that gets clubs into trouble.

I'd say it's not really "dumb" to show appreciation to a player who's significantly out-performing his contract and is getting big money offers elsewhere but ok.

If anything it's paying for past performance by "dealing with pay rises at the end of the contract" that gets clubs into trouble.
I think you're thinking about giving him a contract extension. If he signed another extension those new years will be higher

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think you're thinking about giving him a contract extension. If he signed another extension those new years will be higher

I think a contract extension would be a good approach, throw an extra 2 years on his current contract at the end of the season and pay him what he deserves.

I'd imagine the club would be in negotiations with papleys management about it. Hopefully we see an annluncement about it soon.

I think a contract extension would be a good approach, throw an extra 2 years on his current contract at the end of the season and pay him what he deserves.

I'd imagine the club would be in negotiations with papleys management about it. Hopefully we see an annluncement about it soon.

He will win the Skilton in a landslide a la Rampe last year. I wonder if that could play a part come end of year..

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
This was in the AFL article about top 100 salaries for 2020. Obviously contracts can be front and back loaded etc but Papley is supposedly (supposed to be) on 600-650k. One could argue he is worth a touch more than that however it doesn’t seem as short changed as some have made out?

(I don’t have access to the article I took the below from a BigFooty thread)

Tom Papley
Club: Sydney Swans

SALARY: $600,000-$650,000

COVID SALARY: $432,000-$468,000

The Gippsland boy is tied to the Swans all the way through to 2023, having signed a deal in 2018 that included a trigger clause he quickly ticked off. It means he is well paid for his services after wanting to be traded to Carlton last year. So he should be, as one of footy's best-performed small forwards. Still weighing his future.

I’ll note that Reid wasn’t in the top 7 (/100)
:p

This was in the AFL article about top 100 salaries for 2020. Obviously contracts can be front and back loaded etc but Papley is supposedly (supposed to be) on 600-650k. One could argue he is worth a touch more than that however it doesn’t seem as short changed as some have made out?

(I don’t have access to the article I took the below from a BigFooty thread)

Tom Papley
Club: Sydney Swans

SALARY: $600,000-$650,000

COVID SALARY: $432,000-$468,000

The Gippsland boy is tied to the Swans all the way through to 2023, having signed a deal in 2018 that included a trigger clause he quickly ticked off. It means he is well paid for his services after wanting to be traded to Carlton last year. So he should be, as one of footy's best-performed small forwards. Still weighing his future.

I’ll note that Reid wasn’t in the top 7 (/100)
:p

surprised if he that was true, but about right now if he is on it

Clarkson was irresponsible with his comments.

At the game Papley received boos and screams about being a cheat. The guy next to me wanted to smash his face in. You go to the game day thread and the sheep are there again just repeating Clarkson’s comments. Some genius posted a link of him playing for frees which is just a video of him slipping over.

some moronic footy fans are sheep who can’t form their own view and this is why opposition coaches shouldn’t be making those remarks. For someone so respected Clarkson is an utter scumbag of a guy.

Singled out Rampe and Grundy a while back too.

Players don’t need the extra pressure from the outer.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

At the game Papley received boos and screams about being a cheat. The guy next to me wanted to smash his face in. You go to the game day thread and the sheep are there again just repeating Clarkson’s comments. Some genius posted a link of him playing for frees which is just a video of him slipping over.

some moronic footy fans are sheep who can’t form their own view and this is why opposition coaches shouldn’t be making those remarks. For someone so respected Clarkson is an utter scumbag of a guy.

Should have belted him ! How many Swans supporters were there , sounded like more St Scum than us

Should have belted him ! How many Swans supporters were there , sounded like more St Scum than us

Sadly that was the case. They had half the ground upper tier open and they had the majority. It was soured for me and Mum by the guy next to us. The type that takes great joy in every opposition error and every single moment in the game is some conspiracy against them.

Whilst I didn't belt him I did suggest I would smash his face if he didn't shut up when he said it. To which my Mum belted me.

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

If you can't make a comment about the umpires then you shouldn't be allowed to about opposition players without facing the same consequences.

Jul 13, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Comments from Clarkson and the like are just adding fuel to the fire. I can't begin to imagine what Tom has gone through this week in losing a mate. He was clearly emotional pre-game when speaking about it. He's a young bloke who's away from his family and partner for who knows how long. He's just playing football the way he knows how and drew the ire from a rival coach for doing absolutely nothing!

I have no doubt he probably heard what some St Kilda fans were saying to him last night and he was absolutely copping it on social media from nuffies over a video of him slipping late in the game. This video was shared by Mark Robinson and David King, who both seemed to share the notion that he dived, when it was clear that his foot gave way and slipped. From two media personalities (who should know better, considering they've both spoken about how social media can be a detriment to players' mental health), it's just as bad as what Clarkson said.

I have no doubt Tom was copping it on other social media channels, too. It's honestly disheartening to see that people subscribe to this notion that Tom 'dives' or 'milks' free kicks. Everyone in the AFL does it. David King did it. Jordan Lewis did it. Nick Riewoldt did it and all these other media personalities who have an issue with Papley did it. No matter what you are or what you say or think, people calling you a cheat (or worse, which I won't post here), would have a negative effect on anyone.

The AFL media are quick to throw support behind players who are struggling, but are even quicker to pile on the misery.

Back