Preview R9 | Western Bulldogs v Richmond | Wednesday 29/7 @ 7.10 | M(etricon)CG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression Soldo was favoured over Nank these days (not sure why), but Nank would have been a far better choice against English so that's a good point

Thanks :) Wouldn't surprise me if we rest some guys, some of our boys looked absolutely cooked in the last quarters of the last 2 games, and there's guys like McLean playing scratch matches at the moment.

Swear to god, if we play Gowers again this week, might as well just hand your lot the 4 points right now to save the time..
What's the go with McLean these days?

I was spewing we didn't take him.

I've watched him closely and without knowing your 22 as well as you do, I sometimes feel like he could easily be part of it.

Mister Snrub

Senior List
Jul 16, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I've watched him closely and without knowing your 22 as well as you do, I sometimes feel like he could easily be part of it.
The general feel on the Dogs board is that the match selection committee has been particularly harsh on him this year. To be fair, Bevo has a reputation for dropping players even if they weren't too bad, purely because he expects a certain something from each player, and if they're not showing it then they work on it through the VFL (or this year, in scratch matches and match sims). He left Lipinski there for the first half of 2019, and as soon as he came into the side, he was just incredible. Dropped Cordy for round 2 this year, and since returning in Round 3 he's been significantly better. I can only imagine that's what is happening with McLean.

He was clear best on ground while playing the scratch match last week, but was pulled out early as he was emergency for the Gold Coast game. Many of us are expecting to see him return to the side this week. The biggest issue is that we have very tight spots in the midfield. Right now, with Dunkley out, we seem to have found a really good primary mix of Bont, Macrae, Libba, Smith and Lipinski. Unfortunately for McLean, he's primarily fighting with Lipinski for a spot, so I can imagine they'll continue to bump each other out of the side unless there's an injury to one of the other mids. Most Dogs fans would consider both to be best 22, but it's extremely difficult to actually fit them both into the side in practice. We debuted Cal Porter last week (plays everywhere, primarily a midfielder) who is now out injured, so I'd assume McLean is straight in for him and will rotate between half forward and midfield.

Unfortunately for McLean, he plays his best footy as a pure midfielder (particularly on the inside), and we just can't offer him the minutes without dumping Macrae on a wing or Dunkley up forward, which is counter-intuitive. I imagine clubs will be making offers to him this year, and he may take them for the sake of getting proper midfield minutes. Contracted until 2022, but I wouldn't blame him if he wanted out. We will get shafted in any hypothetical trade thanks to him being in and out of the side

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

He'll come back in tomorrow night and get 5 high free kicks for ducking his head. Nothing surer.

Mister Snrub

Senior List
Jul 16, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He'll come back in tomorrow night and get 5 high free kicks for ducking his head. Nothing surer.
Is it still 2017? Toby removed ducking from his game two years ago, although seems the reputation has stuck. Averages 1 free kick per game these days which is half of what he used to get

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Macrae was BOG the other day.
He's the key as Bont's efficiency dropped to 35%.
Graham can crunch Macrae or Stacky delivers a Viney coathanger.

Jun 16, 2020
Munted
AFL Club
Richmond
HF:Stack/Lynch/RIOLI
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
50BDCCAC-A7A6-4B82-92FB-5A97D016C6AA.jpeg

Is it still 2017? Toby removed ducking from his game two years ago, although seems the reputation has stuck. Averages 1 free kick per game these days which is half of what he used to get
You don’t lose those reps unfortunately.. I still have mates that call Dylan grimes a diver... outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back