Review Positives and Negatives against Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

• Valuing 'effort' over 'system'. Possibly hangover from Rossie's Regime.

It was the opposite. The players were taking stupid, dinky, little 10m passes in the wet to team mates (or the opposition). That's the system. If you want system over effort, last night is what you get when you're playing the team we are playing (young, injury affected, lacking best 22).

Banfield doesn't know his limitations, which are many.
When the ball was going forward last night, at one time, he chose to pick it up.
Wet ball, just soccer it towards goal, don't try and pick it up, as he got tackled immediately, and ball up.
Just dumb

I know exactly what your talking about. He looked like c3po trying to pick the ball up and getting tackled a second later. Just an idiotic player with limited agility.

Pos - Serong. Top effort and influential.

Neg - Bewley, Acres, Banfield, Conca, Hughes, Matera, Schultz..take a leaf out of the above fellas playbook.
JLo's use of the word clearly in the presser. Gonna miss Lyon's after the game musings.

I don't think so. We didn't have this many injury concerns and star players with a history of injuries.
Hogan, Hill, Hamling, Pearce, Sturt, Cox and Logue are either starting to fall into, or are firmly already in the category of being chronically injured.

Until players like these can start to string together 18+ games in a season, success will be very difficult in the short to medium term.

Season gone. Again.

Chronic injuries, corrupt umpiring and dour play will rob this club of a lot of supporters. AFL personalities watching that over east were just justified in removing us from the spot light. They are vindicated in our nothingness.

The bright lights of course were Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra. Banfield is such a nothing player and I don't see why McCarthy would be held back over him.

Interesting interview with McPharlin on 91.3 yesterday, he alluded to systemic issues and a lack of drive for excellence as the prime reason the club failed to capitalize on their potential in the 2003-2007 era. Is it right to assume that 15 years on we are an elite side? We are categorically beaten by the mob up the road in so many ways - I know the histories aren't the same, and we've had to battle on ways that West Coast, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and GWS never had to but after 25 years the club needs to have propelled itself into being an elite organization. On the surface, it just doesn't appear that our assistant coaching staff, medical team and wider staff are at the level they need to be. Changing head coaches is only one part of it, and it's something that Fremantle seem good at implementing without changing too much elsewhere.

Just sour, of course two weeks ago after the Saints I and everyone else here felt differently. But then again - we did after Rd 1 against North Melbourne last year, we did after Collingwood at the MCG, GWS at Spotless and Geelong at Optus after 480 changes were made. But by the end we were in a heap again.

Systemic, structural changes are what we need to see at the end of this year if we are to challenge for a flag while Fyfe remains in our team.

I don't think so. We didn't have this many injury concerns and star players with a history of injuries.

From a list perspective I think so. Genuinely good young players and some star leaders. Injuries are the main difference, but as a fan you have to hope we can clear that up, if I knew now we'd be crippled by injuries again next year and the year after (rinse repeat) I'd just give up altogether.

What?

If I was a Fremantle fan itd be the highest ive felt about the club in the last 3 years.

How can you not be impressed with your last few drafts? You finally turned the corner in that regard and are drafting well

There's also no current reason to believe the next few seasons will be nothing but brave losses due to missing personnel. If nothing was done to change this last season then why would anything change now. I really can't get excited anymore about how good our best 22 might be because it's never going to happen.

What?

If I was a Fremantle fan itd be the highest ive felt about the club in the last 3 years.

How can you not be impressed with your last few drafts? You finally turned the corner in that regard and are drafting well

I agree

I'm concerned with our injury management

The problem, will be keeping the good players Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Cerra etc
Sure we've drafted well, but keeping them is another matter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the second half of the game last night and even though it was rather horrible due to the conditions, there was a glimmer of the future out there for your mob.

There was a handful of young guys who look like developing into very good players with some gym-work & pre-seasons under their belt. The Geelong guys were just a little bigger and stronger and that is why they bulldozed their way to a comfortable win.

Hang in there, in 2-3 years time, I reckon you will be in very good shape.

And the guy with the beard at full-back, he got belted from pillar to post but not once did he ever flinch or give up, you cannot buy that commodity, he is a keeper.

I know exactly what your talking about. He looked like c3po trying to pick the ball up and getting tackled a second later. Just an idiotic player with limited agility.
No game sense. Ethan Hughes makes mistakes for the same basic reason. Tabs is similar. Its not a lack of desire to do the right thing. Just an inability to read where the game is at right in that moment.

There's also no current reason to believe the next few seasons will be nothing but brave losses due to missing personnel. If nothing was done to change this last season then why would anything change now. I really can't get excited anymore about how good our best 22 might be because it's never going to happen.

You expect to rebuild your entire list in 1 year? Its a new start. It will take 3-5 years at best and in all reality and as a Eagles fan too, I can honestly say year 1 is off to a very very good start

Cerra/Brayshaw having career best seasons. Young/Serong are two absolute jets. Tucker/Duman working into solid best 22 players finally. Frederics/Sturt/Schultz showing signs despite playing in a struggling forward line at present without much structure (which is fixable with more time).

This is opposed to last year when id say you had nothing good happen at all. Like literally nothing. Cannot for the life of me think of a positive from last year you had compared to what I mentioned in the above

You expect to rebuild your entire list in 1 year? Its a new start. It will take 3-5 years at best and in all reality and as a Eagles fan too, I can honestly say year 1 is off to a very very good start

Cerra/Brayshaw having career best seasons. Young/Serong are two absolute jets. Tucker/Duman working into solid best 22 players finally. Frederics/Sturt/Schultz showing signs despite playing in a struggling forward line at present without much structure (which is fixable with more time).

This is opposed to last year when id say you had nothing good happen at all. Like literally nothing. Cannot for the life of me think of a positive from last year you had compared to what I mentioned in the above
It's like a ray of sunshine has filled our forum. "The eagles (supporters) are here!". It's so good for you to grace us with your presence. To have your words of wisdom and do our thinking for us so we don't have to. Are you a Wildcats fan as well? Maybe you could share your wisdom with the forums for the various NBL teams as well? So much goodness. That's turned my frown upside down.

It's like a ray of sunshine has filled our forum. "The eagles (supporters) are here!". It's so good for you to grace us with your presence. To have your words of wisdom and do our thinking for us so we don't have to. Are you a Wildcats fan as well? Maybe you could share your wisdom with the forums for the various NBL teams as well? So much goodness. That's turned my frown upside down.

No need to be snarky at oppo posters coming in and offering positivity.

All im saying is, be happy. You are in a very good position at the moment so enjoy it.

If Serong played that game for Geelong and not Fremantle AFL.com.au would have 3 articles up about him by now.... He is a sublime talent. If you cant enjoy it and see hope with it then I feel sorry for you

This is the fifth year of our rebuild. Our last coach told us we'd have no excuse not to win a flag by this year.
Most people offering gratuitous advice at least do their research. Leave us alone will ya?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back