Unofficial Preview Round 9 - Bloods vs Saints 1 Aug @ 5.10 PM @ Gabba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible ins: Will Hayward, Lewis Melican
Rampe may play with glove

Pity about Hannebery not playing, but Tim Membrey and Zak Jones will want to impress us :(

St Kilda recruited well last year: Dan Butler, Bradley Hill, Dougal Howard, Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder

Last 3 games:
24 Aug 2019 Swans 109 v. Saints 64
9 Jun 2018 Saints 55 v. Swans 126
22 Jul 2017 Swans 101 v. Saints 58

StKilda 4th on the ladder playing the 14th placed Bloods.
Easy, peasy, Bloods by 10 points
#GoBloods #goswans #Bloods2020
bloods 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Probably going to be our best chance for a win for the rest of the season. The other below average sides we've either already played, have to play at their home ground (Fremantle) or match up horribly for us (Melbourne). St Kilda are a good side but they are prone to brainfades and our record against them recently is pretty fantastic.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Saints were impressive last week racing away to a comfortable win over Port. At 5-3 there losses have come at the hands of the 16th and 17th placed teams along with being belted by the Pies (8th). Wins over Port 1st, Bulldogs 6th, Tigers 9th, Blues 11th and C18th show they are in good form.

Swans only wins have come over teams placed 15th, 17th and 18th on the ladder.

Saints tall forwards will provide a challenge. Not sure anyone can match up on King. If Rampe doesn’t pull up well after surgery then a Melican type should be brought in.

If Hayward is fit then Gray could make way.

Saints were impressive last week racing away to a comfortable win over Port. At 5-3 there losses have come at the hands of the 16th and 17th placed teams along with being belted by the Pies (8th). Wins over Port 1st, Bulldogs 6th, Tigers 9th, Blues 11th and C18th show they are in good form.

Swans only wins have come over teams placed 15th, 17th and 18th on the ladder.

Saints tall forwards will provide a challenge. Not sure anyone can match up on King. If Rampe doesn’t pull up well after surgery then a Melican type should be brought in.

If Hayward is fit then Gray could make way.

The only thing I thought was overly impressive with Saints last week was their kicking, 1 behind for the whole game was unbelievable, but personally I thought Port lost it more than Saints won it, Port played some really dumb footy.
Having said that I really can't see us winning this unless we have a miracle run in front of the sticks, but stranger things have happened.

The only thing I thought was overly impressive with Saints last week was their kicking, 1 behind for the whole game was unbelievable, but personally I thought Port lost it more than Saints won it, Port played some really dumb footy.
Having said that I really can't see us winning this unless we have a miracle run in front of the sticks, but stranger things have happened.

Not to mention Ryder & Marshall were literally gifting the ball to the Saints mids unimpeded. Granted it was two of them combined but it was the best rucking performance I've seen by any side all year in a competition with Gawn, Grundy, Goldstein and Naitanui.

If those two are in that form again, with Sinclair as our ruck.... farking hell it will be a midfield spanking of royal proportions.

Couple that with Rampe potentially not being there to help our back-line?

:eek:

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
If you look at two of their losses against North they gave up a 5 goal lead at half time and Fremantle a 6 goal lead at quarter time. They could easily be 7-1.

Agree we will need to kick straight and for them to go into cruise mode at some stage.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Would love to see:

IN - McLean, Wicks, Hayward, Maibaum
OUT - Blakey, L. Taylor, Bell, Rampe

Most important is Rampe is not risked, although I will miss his annual Membrey bath.
Reid, McCartin and McLean in the forward line. Saints will runs the ball out with ease. It will be a replay of the Bulldogs where we were too tall.

Reid, McCartin and McLean in the forward line. Saints will runs the ball out with ease. It will be a replay of the Bulldogs where we were too tall.

McLean and McCartin inside 50 as marking targets with Reid further up the ground as the outlet kick from defence. I don't mind Reid on the wing.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
If Haywoods fit, he plays. I got the impression from Horses presser that they'll hold him back another week.
so.. Greys out?? for Haywood, Foote or Wicks.
Im thinking Horse wants all the young crew to play 2-4 games to see what they've got. Bell looked ok last week and may well get another game. Foot and Wicks will get their chance pretty soon.. Wicks just been upgraded to senior list. Armatey not far away either

Oct 18, 2019
Cyril's pocket
AFL Club
Sydney
McLean and McCartin inside 50 as marking targets with Reid further up the ground as the outlet kick from defence. I don't mind Reid on the wing.
Geez that brings back memories of the 2015 qualifying final. Reid was looking really good up on the wing but subsequentially injured himself. Obviously he missed the following year, I always wondered what might have been

Geez that brings back memories of the 2015 qualifying final. Reid was looking really good up on the wing but subsequentially injured himself. Obviously he missed the following year, I always wondered what might have been

Yeah I've made no secret what I think of Reid but IMO he's always looked best when working up the ground. He can cover the ground exceptionally well for a big bloke and I think we'd get better use of him on a week-to-week basis than holding out hope for him to kick a bag, which he's proven he only does once a year, twice at most. It also means that we can actually keep a semblance of forward structure with Sinclair and Reid taking duties up the ground, leaving McLean and McCartin to closer to goals.

Hoping the Saints have been drinking their own bathwater this week. How they perform as favorites will be interesting.

Only changes for us outside of injuries might be Gray out Hayward in and Stephens out Wicks in

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Hoping the Saints have been drinking their own bathwater this week. How they perform as favorites will be interesting.

Only changes for us outside of injuries might be Gray out Hayward in and Stephens out Wicks in
Agree.. Grey and Stephens are the two under pressure. Im sure grey is in for his experience.. Stephens is getting a little bit more comfortable each game.
Haywood as young as he is, isn't a first year or first gamer, so Haywood for Grey.
The Swans will want to see both Wicks and Foot.. Stephens could be the one going out. Bell is the other possibility (both 2-3 gamers), but I reckon Bell might get another couple of games

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I've made no secret what I think of Reid but IMO he's always looked best when working up the ground. He can cover the ground exceptionally well for a big bloke and I think we'd get better use of him on a week-to-week basis than holding out hope for him to kick a bag, which he's proven he only does once a year, twice at most. It also means that we can actually keep a semblance of forward structure with Sinclair and Reid taking duties up the ground, leaving McLean and McCartin to closer to goals.

It often makes for entertaining reading.:thumbsu:
How do you come up with so many you beaut new ones?

So a bloke with an interrupted pre season with a known recurrent hammy history, then during restricted training does a soft tissue calf , is still not in full training gets rushed back in desperation, ought after one game NOW take the magic pill and turn into a reincarnation of Stewy Maxfield streaking down the wing... or chasing Zac Jones into defence?....reckon we'd hear the tendons twang in NSW , maybe also in the quieter parts off Melbourne?

Stay at FF and do not over stretch.

LOL on that basis Swans by 200 gazillion pints!
I just hope for team health they get a direct flight to Brisbane and back this time.

Go the Swannies :)

It often makes for entertaining reading.:thumbsu:
How do you come up with so many you beaut new ones?

So a bloke with an interrupted pre season with a known recurrent hammy history, then during restricted training does a soft tissue calf , is still not in full training gets rushed back in desperation, ought after one game NOW take the magic pill and turn into a reincarnation of Stewy Maxfield streaking down the wing... or chasing Zac Jones into defence?....reckon we'd hear the tendons twang in NSW , maybe also in the quieter parts off Melbourne?

Stay at FF and do not over stretch.

LOL on that basis Swans by 200 gazillion pints!
I just hope for team health they get a direct flight to Brisbane and back this time.

Go the Swannies :)

I really don't think the idea of having a bloke positioned as the outlet from defence is a radical idea.

But at this point I give up. I'm told I'm too negative when I criticise Reid, then I pay him a compliment and now I'm talking nonsense.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Would love to see:

IN - McLean, Wicks, Hayward, Maibaum
OUT - Blakey, L. Taylor, Bell, Rampe

Most important is Rampe is not risked, although I will miss his annual Membrey bath.
steady on. Rampe yes. Blakey needs games. like any of your ins.....unless the couching staff reckon they are ready.
Wicks never played a game. Maibaum we all want to get a game but where is he at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back