Ross Lyon: Will He Coach Again?

Who will be the third team to be coached by Ross Lyon?

• GWS

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • Ross Lyon will stay in the media

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Noth Melbourne

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pffft flags are easy just ask anyone
Your tirades on that infamous thread on the non-vic sides have not won a flag vs a Vic side with no salary or draft concessions was hilarious. It started just after the 2017 GF. I enjoyed your complaints and tirades on it all season. Then ironically in pure bastardization or in some weird abomination of a grand final, the eagles beat Collingwood in the 2018 GF. You can't make this up LoL

It's the only grand final in recent times that Champion Data has the losing team being the team that statistically could have won.

Freo had the last 8 shots on goal and lost by 15 points. I'd say that qualifies as close.

Please explain to me the revisionist history bit.

The best team won because they always do on the day regardless of what happens but it is literally the one that got away looking at how the game unfolded.
My memory was that the game was done pretty early; Freo never really in it. They finished well but Hawthorn was simply cruising at that point. They were no more in it than the Eagles in 2015, imo.

My memory was that the game was done pretty early; Freo never really in it. They finished well but Hawthorn was simply cruising at that point. They were no more in it than the Eagles in 2015, imo.
Well your memory is ****ed because it was a 10pt margin at 3 qtr time.

The game was over at quarter time under Cameron before going on to get completely humiliated.

the 2019 Grand final scores

Quarter time score: Richmond 2.3.15 to GWS 1.2.8

Half time Score: Richmond 7.5.47 to GWS 1.6.12

3 quarter time score: Richmond 12.9.81 to 2.7.19

full time score: Richmond 17.12.114 to GWS 3.7.25

to be honest the game wasnt over at quarter time. The 1st quarter was more like a feeling out process. It was close.

Half time score.... yeah the game was done, or close to it. I just realised the Giants kicked the exact same score in that half as Freo did in their 1st half of the 2013 AFL grand final.

Had GWS not sprayed their shots and kicked 3-5 goals in the 1st half. They might of been an outside chance. they would of been 2-4 goals down at half time.

By 3 quarter time yeah the game was truly done. You could tell some GWS players were either injured or carrying an injury. Some were demoralized or tired and just wanted the game to end.

Then you look at the score at the end of the game. Richmond dominated obviously.

even though they had only 10 scoring shots. I wish GWS kicked 5.5.35 or 6.4.40 to make the scoreline more respectable.

Average Freo side?

You made a GF and then finished top of the ladder 2 years later. That wasn’t all down to Ross.

Easily the best side Freo have ever had - way above average.
Serious question......

If Mark Harvey was coaching the dockers in 2012-15, would the dockers won a flag or 2 in that Period.

If you say yes, then Sack your current coach and replace him with mark harvey.

I wouldn't even wish Ross on North Melbourne......(ok, North beat Claremont twice in night games back in the early 80's and I still haven't gotten over it).

I do not like Ross Lyon at all and never wanted him at Freo. Anti-football, ruins lists, ruins clubs.
I love the Anti Ross Lyon dockers fans like you that make me laugh my head off. lol.

I am going to assume you been a dockers fan since 1995. I been a dockers fan since late 2001- early 2002.

Look at freos history from 1995-2020. 26 seasons, 7 years we made finals. Ross Lyon has given us finals in 4 of those years out of 7.

You being an Anti Ross Lyon fan.

Are you proud on what Freo achieved from 1995-2010? 3 year out of 17 we made finals: 2003, 2006 and 2010. That is beyond poor consideing under that period it was 8 finals spots and 16 clubs. Compare that to non vic clubs like Brisbanes, Sydney, West coast, Crows and Ports finals record from 1995-2010. each of them except Port, Made finals at least 8 times in that 1995-2010 period, made at least 2 grand finals and won a flag.

Port is the exception, they made finals at least 7 times from 1997-2010 and made 2 grand finals and got 1 flag.

Freo in that 1995-2010 period can only look back on a 2003 home final loss, a prelim in 2006 and a semi final loss in 2010. A finals record of 2 wins and 4 defeats in 16 years is pathetic.

Eagles were down by 50 at three quarter time. It was a slaughter.

Last edited:
As has been said, he's worth a look for any underachieving team with list quality who are just entering their window. I also think his style is well suited to the shorter quarters.

What you'll get with him is.

- a hideous, hyper defensive gameplan which minimises mistakes and strangles oppositions.

- immediate improvements in accountability and player attitude, and a rapid transition to a fit, hard side well drilled in ross-ball.

- lack of opportunity for kids, gradual decline in player morale, poor footskills, burnout and phenomenal amounts of soft tissue injuries.

- decay of the list over 5-6 years due to lack of opportunity and his love of hard working unskilled plodders and a complete collapse of forward line structures because they simply aren't a part of his gameplan.

So yeah it's actually a tough call. I reckon there are half a dozen younger teams in the competition that he could take to a grand final within 3 years if they signed him up now. But the payoff for that is the dreadful decline that follows.

Freo kicked exactly no goals in the first quarter and one in the second. The result was never in doubt. Hawthorn just began celebrating early.
Keep digging that hole you silly bastard.
WC were further behind in 2018 than Freo ever were in 2013

Try not to be so stupid going forward 👌

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep digging that hole you silly bastard.
WC were further behind in 2018 than Freo ever were in 2013

Try not to be so stupid going forward 👌
Of course West Coast were further behind, that's not the discussion. None of Hawthorn's threepeat wins were ever in doubt. Trying to paint 2013 as some kind of nailbiter is absolutely revisionism.

Of course West Coast were further behind, that's not the discussion. None of Hawthorn's threepeat wins were ever in doubt. Trying to paint 2013 as some kind of nailbiter is absolutely revisionism.
Ahh i see, now you've resorted to making up things I've said because I totally destroyed your piss poor argument. Keep up the good work matey.

As has been said, he's worth a look for any underachieving team with list quality who are just entering their window. I also think his style is well suited to the shorter quarters.

What you'll get with him is.

- a hideous, hyper defensive gameplan which minimises mistakes and strangles oppositions.

- immediate improvements in accountability and player attitude, and a rapid transition to a fit, hard side well drilled in ross-ball.

- lack of opportunity for kids, gradual decline in player morale, poor footskills, burnout and phenomenal amounts of soft tissue injuries.

- decay of the list over 5-6 years due to lack of opportunity and his love of hard working unskilled plodders and a complete collapse of forward line structures because they simply aren't a part of his gameplan.

So yeah it's actually a tough call. I reckon there are half a dozen younger teams in the competition that he could take to a grand final within 3 years if they signed him up now. But the payoff for that is the dreadful decline that follows.
Pretty much spot on there like it was at st kilda if Ross has a decent list to work with he will get your club opportunity’s to win it it just a matter weather you can nab a flag to make it worth the the pain with the mess he will leave you in eventually either that or have an very experienced high profile head of football above him to keep his nose out of recruiting-drafting !

the 2019 Grand final scores

Quarter time score: Richmond 2.3.15 to GWS 1.2.8

Half time Score: Richmond 7.5.47 to GWS 1.6.12

3 quarter time score: Richmond 12.9.81 to 2.7.19

full time score: Richmond 17.12.114 to GWS 3.7.25

to be honest the game wasnt over at quarter time. The 1st quarter was more like a feeling out process. It was close.

Half time score.... yeah the game was done, or close to it. I just realised the Giants kicked the exact same score in that half as Freo did in their 1st half of the 2013 AFL grand final.

Had GWS not sprayed their shots and kicked 3-5 goals in the 1st half. They might of been an outside chance. they would of been 2-4 goals down at half time.

By 3 quarter time yeah the game was truly done. You could tell some GWS players were either injured or carrying an injury. Some were demoralized or tired and just wanted the game to end.

Then you look at the score at the end of the game. Richmond dominated obviously.

even though they had only 10 scoring shots. I wish GWS kicked 5.5.35 or 6.4.40 to make the scoreline more respectable.
Here let me make you feel better.

A bit like saying that in 2007, Port Adel led Geelong 8 mins in and entering time on 1st qtr were only a goal down.

And then Geelong kicked 21.16 to 3.3 over the next 92 mins of game time. Astonishing slaughter.

Pffft flags are easy just ask anyone
Your tirades on that infamous thread on the non-vic sides have not won a flag vs a Vic side with no salary or draft concessions was hilarious. It started just after the 2017 GF. I enjoyed your complaints and tirades on it all season. Then ironically in pure bastardization or in some weird abomination of a grand final, the eagles beat Collingwood in the 2018 GF. You can't make this up LoL
I bet Kranky Al feels really awful about that.

You and me both.
Well at least you had 3 different goal kickers that day lol.

Saying that, I look at the 8 goals Freo kicked that day....

Pavlich got 3

Walters got 2

Mayne, Mzungu and Danyle Pearce got 1 each.

A lot of Freo fans love Mzungu and to a degree Deboer. Both Had a cult followings . Mzungu is Not bad for a mature ager. Mzungu had his Debut game at 24 or 25 years old in 2011. 2 years later he kicks Freos 1st grand final goal.

At the time he did..... Until the 2018 grand final. LoL.

It was a great thread too. kranky al lead a one person crusade vs all the Vic fans on that thread.

He bastardized all the Victorians on the board. LoL
At the end of the day optus oval is a huge help for both eagles and dockers with its shape similar to the mcg and its acoustics making it louder.

theres a lot less of that stagefright and our gameplans can match the stadium used for the gf.

but that doesnt make it right - although its easier for us id certainly rather play an mcg tenant at any other mainland stadium than the mcg.

and as for other interstate teams they are ripped off as well.

Back