List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For DGB?

Maybe, but they took Gould last year and still have young types in McCartin, Blakey and McClean.

We can fix that scenario quite easily by bidding on Campbell with our first pick.

The pick that lands between our 1st & 2nd first round picks.

We MUST force their hand and neutralize them getting a cheap pickup inside their academy picks.

* those campaigners and their gifted bullshit.

For DGB?

Maybe, but they took Gould last year and still have young types in McCartin, Blakey and McClean.

For whoever, between the hypothetical picks 2 & 6.

If they land with pick 3,4 or 5 then I want them SHUT OUT by an academy bid.

We can fix that scenario quite easily by bidding on Campbell with our first pick.

YEP!

If we go all soft utensil & "solid citizen" and don't put them to the sword, then I would be livid.

* them!

We MUST force their hand and neutralize them getting a cheap pickup inside their academy picks.

fu** those campaigners and their gifted bullshit.

The only scenario would be offloading our first for their first and their 2021 first.

So they essentially spend their 2021 a year early as a guaranteed top 3 pick, we pickup another 2021 first rounder and only move down a few spots.

They probably take Phillips/McDonald and then Campbell though.

fu** those campaigners and their gifted bullshit.

As Pykie said, bid on Campbell

1. JUH (matched bid) - WBD
2. Thilthorpe - Adelaide
3. Campbell (matched bid) - SYD
4. Phillips - NM
5. McDonald - Freo
6. Hollands - Hawthorn
7. DGB - NM

We'd maybe get whoever of DGB/McDonald Freo don't pick

As Pykie said, bid on Campbell

1. JUH (matched bid) - WBD
2. Thilthorpe - Adelaide
3. Campbell (matched bid) - SYD
4. Phillips - NM
5. McDonald - Freo
6. Hollands - Hawthorn
7. DGB - NM

We'd maybe get whoever of DGB/McDonald Freo don't pick

I think this is a realistic chance.

The more players that emerge as genuine top 10 picks over the next few months, the better.

Melbourne making the finals would blow this theory up though.

Melbourne making the finals would blow this theory up though.

I don't think they will, but their first round pick might slide a couple of spots.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it gets better than 6.

Yeah good point, how does our crash and bash system not work for a full forward whose kicked the most goals in the past 3 years?..
It’s not all about goals. The game style Shaw is playing is about defence and yardage. if we can create a stoppage on the wing or in our pocket, we can lock the ball in and defend from there. It means less pressure on the defenders as they can get boot to ball and set up accordingly.

if we can’t the game plan falls apart, as we don’t have the small forwards/midfielders quick enough to stop the run on play.

BBB should be able to nullify the contest or at least halve it but he’s not physically capable and the balls being walked out of our forward line.

I'm still firmly in the keep Ben Brown camp but..

The nearest equivalent trading out scenario I can think of that paid off was Nathan Thompson.

He also had a sub-par year after some solid career football. He went on to produce a couple of good quality years at North while Hawthorn utilised the first pick in particular via on-trade to get Lewis and cleared their list/forward line for exposing more young talent to senior football.

HOWEVER. There are some critical factors required for this to work.

1. Shaw is setting up an eventual premiership grade gameplan and squad whether or not he's the coach who finally realises it
  2. We are very confident about the young forwards who will ply their craft in the transition period and/or have suitable mature options (eg Walker or Daw) to protect them during this phase
  3. We get very good trade return on Brown, ie equivalent of 2x top 10 current/future picks, nail the picks and are going all in on a rebuild meaning there are the 5-10 high quality kids coming through together that deano28 allued to in his conversation
There are too many 'ifs' in that proposition for mine but it was worth working through.

I'd also factor in whether we think Brown's form is just temporary or we think it might be terminal.

Deano - it sounds like you had that conversation with a few of us here because every point your mate made is exactly what we have been saying for the past month.

ie - nothing against BBB and what he brings to the table but rather with a view to what suits us and what we need to be a contender in 3 years time.

I would go further than us needing 5-6 elite kids - we need 8-10 given the lopsided age demographic of our list - and that's why its essential we go hard at the draft this year and next.

The LDU and senior players comments are no brainers.

As I have said many times - if we dont go down this path - what is the alternative path to the achievement of sustained success?

Vital time for the club right now to make the correct decisions - thank goodness we have professional people on board rather than the muppets who were overseeing things previously.

Surely there a couple of factors that would be considered in the keep or trade decision for Brown:

1. What does he get us in return? If it is a high first-round draft pick and nothing else, as has been suggested by some in the media, then surely he just stays regardless of game style etc. If someone is offering two first-round picks with one of those a top 10 or one plus a young quality player, then the club would have to seriously consider it.
2. The bash and crash game style is what we are playing now but is that our plan for two years time. When you look at our young talent like Jy, LDU, TT, Taylor, Scott, Perez etc it is easy to think we will be a very different team in terms of ball movement and skill in 2022 than we are now. We could be a team with not just more forward fifty entries by then but vastly better entries. Brown could have his best years in 22, 23, 24 if our talent comes through.

We currently have 5 picks in the first two rounds over the next two drafts. Is there a way we can add to that without trading Brown?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure it’s been covered but is Phillips good by foot.

I’m leaning to McDonald over Phillips if phillips hasn’t got good disposal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s not all about goals. The game style Shaw is playing is about defence and yardage. if we can create a stoppage on the wing or in our pocket, we can lock the ball in and defend from there. It means less pressure on the defenders as they can get boot to ball and set up accordingly.

if we can’t the game plan falls apart, as we don’t have the small forwards/midfielders quick enough to stop the run on play.

BBB should be able to nullify the contest or at least halve it but he’s not physically capable and the balls being walked out of our forward line.
I get that, but what was wrong with the gameplan when we beat the ladder leaders by 100 points last year and the eventual premiers by 5 goals during the season?..

The media have blown their load over something that's not there.. we have the biggest injury list in the comp and BBB is paying the price.

99% Brown is staying a Roo but that won't give the media a narrative so play on..

I get that, but what was wrong with the gameplan when we beat the ladder leaders by 100 points last year and the eventual premiers by 5 goals during the season?..

The media have blown their load over something that's not there.. we have the biggest injury list in the comp and BBB is paying the price.

99% Brown is staying a Roo but that won't give the media a narrative so play on..
Well said shermanator

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

MSM:
Sudanese Footballer unsure of future at North Melbourne as they look to get rid of Vegan footballer.

LOL

It isn't neurosis proof when we get injuries.

The sky must be falling & then we throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back