VFL 2021

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
They really aren't strong enough for AFL clubs to be a part of. However if the AFL clubs do move into an "Eastern Reserves" competition the NEAFL should split back into the QAFL and SFL

Aspley, Redland, Southport, Broadbeach, Morningside, Labrador, Mount Gravatt and Maroochydore (If they're still kicking around)

Canberra, Sydney Uni, Ainslie, Queanbeyan, Sydney Hills, North Shore

That would be much better for the non-AFL clubs IMO
Maybe. Or is it better for the development of footy in NSW and Qld to have all the media attention And exposure that come with having AFL reserves teams playing in town and against local players rather than out of sight in Melbourne.

chislet5

Senior List
Apr 29, 2012
ivanhoe
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
england cricket team
Aspley, Redland, Southport, Broadbeach, Morningside, Labrador, Mount Gravatt and Maroochydore (If they're still kicking around)

Canberra, Sydney Uni, Ainslie, Queanbeyan, Sydney Hills, North Shore
No chance you can have 3 Canberra teams in the Como that standard would be too diluted and s**t

footyhead247

Draftee
Mar 16, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is my thoughts based on hearing rumours and reading articles of how the new competition will look for for 2021.

Victorian AFL sides
1. Carlton reserves
2. Collingwood reserves
3. Essendon reserves
4. Footscray reserves
5. Geelong reserves
6. Hawthorn reserves
7. Melbourne reserves
8. North Melbourne reserves
9. Richmond reserves
10. St Kilda reserves

Victorian Non-AFL Sides
11. Williamstown
12. Port Melbourne

New South Wales AFL Sides
13. Greater Western Sydney reserves
14. Sydney reserves

ACT Non-AFL Side
15. Canberra

Queensland AFL Sides
16. Brisbane reserves
17. Gold Coast reserves

Queensland Non-AFL Side
18. Southport

Tasmania
19. Tasmanian Devils

Possible
NT Thunder (unlikely but did apply to join VFL 2 years ago)
Weribee (harsh I know but got told they wouldn't be part of it)
Sydney Uni (Heard AFL want a non-AFL side in Sydney)

That would make an 18 round competition where everyone plays each other once. This will depend if the non-AFL sides want to be part of the new competition due to cost. I think it will also depend on the AFL list sizes. I heard there could be 2 options with Canberra. They have their own side or Giants will have a squad in Canberra of 20 players to maintain a pathway for southern NSW.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Was doubtful pre-coronavirus the AFL would give state league clubs thousands of dollars annually for flights and accommodation. Seems extremely unlikely now.

Jul 2, 2006
So with the NEAFL pretty much gone where does that leave Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, and Gold Coast?

The key issue for 2021 structures in the second tier is what is the new AFL list size.

1. Current list sizes are mid 40's through GC's 51. If that is maintained an Eastern AFL / NEAFL / expanded VFL must continue as each AFL club would have a full team not player each week.

2. Though if list sizes are reduced to a maximum of say 38 to 40 then there simply won't be enough players left over to sustain a standalone side. Forget an expanded Eastern AFL as an AFL team might only have 4 players who are not playing AFL, injured, or being rested.

IMO the list size will be reduced, as reduced list size means reduced coaching numbers, reduced support staff, etc etc. So the best way for the AFL to cut overall costs is reduce the list size.

Then the discussion is for listed players not playing do they go to one club or get shared around VFL clubs.

But all of this is hypothetical. The issue is what will the AFL list size be in 2021.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
The Victorian based clubs are getting a taste of a dedicated reserves competition with the scratch matches being played right now. Hopefully this convinces the AFL that a dedicated reserves comp for the Vic clubs + the QLD & NSW sides is viable, which will then leave the VFL/A as the third tier competition, maybe filling a mid age gap for players too old for the NAB Cup but that are not picked up by AFL clubs as yet.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
The key issue for 2021 structures in the second tier is what is the new AFL list size.

The issue is what will the AFL list size be in 2021.
and once they got through the announcement of rolling fixture of round 9 to 12 next week they will start to give attention to these things.
I still think it will take until get through winter before it becomes clearer what can start to be planned for 2021. There simply is no rush right now to make a decision.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is my thoughts based on hearing rumours and reading articles of how the new competition will look for for 2021.

Victorian AFL sides
1. Carlton reserves
2. Collingwood reserves
3. Essendon reserves
4. Footscray reserves
5. Geelong reserves
6. Hawthorn reserves
7. Melbourne reserves
8. North Melbourne reserves
9. Richmond reserves
10. St Kilda reserves

Victorian Non-AFL Sides
11. Williamstown
12. Port Melbourne

New South Wales AFL Sides
13. Greater Western Sydney reserves
14. Sydney reserves

ACT Non-AFL Side
15. Canberra

Queensland AFL Sides
16. Brisbane reserves
17. Gold Coast reserves

Queensland Non-AFL Side
18. Southport

Tasmania
19. Tasmanian Devils

Possible
NT Thunder (unlikely but did apply to join VFL 2 years ago)
Weribee (harsh I know but got told they wouldn't be part of it)
Sydney Uni (Heard AFL want a non-AFL side in Sydney)

That would make an 18 round competition where everyone plays each other once. This will depend if the non-AFL sides want to be part of the new competition due to cost. I think it will also depend on the AFL list sizes. I heard there could be 2 options with Canberra. They have their own side or Giants will have a squad in Canberra of 20 players to maintain a pathway for southern NSW.
Great idea but 1 problem iv heard my club is dire straights and will drop there VFL side and will to merge or be taken over by an VFL side next year but will with keep there AWFL and VWFL sides instead.

Great idea but 1 problem iv heard my club is dire straights and will drop there VFL side and will to merge or be taken over by an VFL side next year but will with keep there AWFL and VWFL sides instead.
Reckon there would be afl assistance in the above model to make it work and don’t think there would be non afl sides

10 vic AFL reserves teams
2 syd AFL reserves teams
2 qld AFL reserves teams

everyone plays each other once
14 round season 1 bye round. Then finals

So are we sending Sherwood, Wilston Grange, Sandgate and Palm Beach to the ammos?
I have no idea who those clubs are, I was going off teams of the previous QAFL. But a 12 team league would work too, 22 rounds, play everyone twice.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have no idea who those clubs are, I was going off teams of the previous QAFL. But a 12 team league would work too, 22 rounds, play everyone twice.
Oh okay. There are actually 13, we both forgot Surfers Paradise. Honestly I'd just kick Maroochydore back to the Sunshine Coast comp and keep it as Brisbane/GC only.

Oh okay. There are actually 13, we both forgot Surfers Paradise. Honestly I'd just kick Maroochydore back to the Sunshine Coast comp and keep it as Brisbane/GC only.
Eh, fair enough. So is that a 6/6 split or something else?

7 Brisbane, 5 Gold Coast. I suppose two teams could merge to fit in Maroochydore, the issue is whether clubs can be arsed driving three hours each way for a game.
Alternatively you can simply add Redland, Aspley and Southport to the current 9 teams in the QAFL (Broadbeach, Labrador, Maroochydore, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Palm Beach Currumbin, Surfers, Sherwood and Wilston Grange). Similar with AFL Sydney, add Canberra and maybe Ainslie.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Alternatively you can simply add Redland, Aspley and Southport to the current 9 teams in the QAFL (Broadbeach, Labrador, Maroochydore, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Palm Beach Currumbin, Surfers, Sherwood and Wilston Grange).
Ah right I didn't realise Sandgate are no longer in the comp.

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
North Melbourne will no longer have a stand alone reserves team due to money after 2 years.

they are looking for an alignment in 2021

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Given that we are almost certain to have another COVID impacted season in 2021, I doubt a formal reserves/VFL/NEAFL restructure will be happen. AFL listed players won’t be able to mix with state league players until there is a vaccine. Also doubt list sizes will be reduced (much) whilst there is a possibility of more COVID outbreaks and another flexible season.
Reckon next year we will see a ‘temporary’ AFL reserves comp - a more structured version of what we have in 2020. Maybe 16 a side. The NEAFL clubs will return to their state leagues, and the eight VFL clubs will attempt a stand alone comp.
Most of the VFL clubs won’t survive with multiple seasons as a stand alone comp, so will end up with a very different second tier at the end of COVID (2022 at the earliest). The longer it goes, the most chance of an AFL reserves comp - at least in the eastern states.
A restructure by stealth and natural attrition.

Last edited:

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I still think there will be a VFL-NEAFL merger. If not with the NEAFL standalone clubs, definitely the northern AFL clubs

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What a mess 2nd tier footy is in around the country even pre-covid. This disease has also reduced options given the financial losses being incurred by the AFL and affected clubs.

So I reckon it’s likely COVID will still be around next year so AFL listed players will play scratch matches amongst themselves again.

not great for VFL

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Article in Age today suggesting BL, Suns. GWS and Swans to join VFL. AFL to encourage Vic clubs to align with VFL clubs.
Reckon North will align with Werribee or maybe Coburg and we will get 18 clubs. Hopefully they match up the fixture with the AFL. 20 games would be good.

Back