Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, a Sydney newspaper obsessed with attributing blame for a global pandemic on another state premier. Don't mention that the vast majority of Australians who died from corona virus came from the Ruby Princess passengers allowed to hop from one state to another.

Also don't mention this is the same paper that just recently lost its appeal on a record 2.9 million dollar defamation case. The choice of record for the quiet Australians.

Last edited:
The faults and flaws of Victorian governance and planning is one thing, but urgh, the daily telegraph is not worth a single brain cell. It makes the West look sophisticated.

Other infamous Daily Telegraph front pages include an attack on the Lord Mayor of Sydney based on Angus Taylor's forged documents and "Scomo's Scorcher" - which apparently had something to do with how the PM engineered a sensational narrow by-election loss in the always marginal bellwether seat of Eden Monaro.

The Victorian government will be doing everything it can to publicize the misdeeds of it's citizens as reasons for why the lock down needs to go on, it's part of a strategy to divert frustrations and anger of the people towards one another. Ultimately if their hotel quarantine was handled appropriately none of this would be happening, that would be very bad politically.

So now you won't be able to not see them doing it. Andrews will talk about being in it all together and direct attention at people doing the wrong thing.

Because to see their mistake is better than the causing mistake of their government.

Hey Murdoch drone. Think for yourself.

Its just like the pink batts saga. Always trust the private sector to do private sector things. Daniel Andrews needed to pay for prostitutes for the security so they wouldnt * the covid people in quarantine.

The dumb bitch in NSW was actually implicate in the Ruby Princess saga, but of course theres are puff piece interview about how she was very angry it happened.

Victoria put the strictest conditions on it's people and completely dropped the ball on the protection measures it could control.

Those two things can be true at the same time.

NSW had a big stuff up too, the rest of the states learned quickly from that. WA learned fast when people were breaking out of hotel quarantine to bring in the ADF and police guards - not everyone followed suit.

Victoria put the strictest conditions on it's people and completely dropped the ball on the protection measures it could control.

Those two things can be true at the same time.

NSW had a big stuff up too, the rest of the states learned quickly from that. WA learned fast when people were breaking out of hotel quarantine to bring in the ADF and police guards - not everyone followed suit.

Morrison and his opening up the borders and restrictions to get back to work isn't helping.
The feds are still backing Palmer and his court cases against WA and QLD.
Just read he had a 2 hour discussion with Trump on how to control the virus.
Think that tells us all the intelligence of the man

Morrison and his opening up the borders and restrictions to get back to work isn't helping.
The feds are still backing Palmer and his court cases against WA and QLD.
Just read he had a 2 hour discussion with Trump on how to control the virus.
Think that tells us all the intelligence of the man

The thing is, if Victoria had not let the entire nation down with it's hotel quarantine protocols (or lack thereof) we actually could have the borders between the states open and everyone at work.

A hard border for international arrivals and strict quarantine would have had Australia at zero community cases. Except now we have 2500 mostly in Victoria and nobody should be opening their borders up to them because of it.

Eventually I expect we will have a federal quarantine facility through which all international arrivals pass and Australia will be covid free and living normally behind that robust protection.

The thing is, if Victoria had not let the entire nation down with it's hotel quarantine protocols (or lack thereof) we actually could have the borders between the states open and everyone at work.

A hard border for international arrivals and strict quarantine would have had Australia at zero community cases. Except now we have 2500 mostly in Victoria and nobody should be opening their borders up to them because of it.

Eventually I expect we will have a federal quarantine facility through which all international arrivals pass and Australia will be covid free and living normally behind that robust protection.

The Ruby Princess disaster was the catalyst . Victoria might not be in such dire straights if the NSW govt and the Aust border force did their jobs.
Amazing how people forget the original disaster that was the Ruby Princess.

The Ruby Princess disaster was the catalyst . Victoria might not be in such dire straights if the NSW govt and the Aust border force did their jobs.
Amazing how people forget the original disaster that was the Ruby Princess.
That was a big problem too, but these are two distinct intrusion events.

One of which was well into the process compared to being the first cruise ship to arrive.

That was a big problem too, but these are two distinct intrusion events.

One of which was well into the process compared to being the first cruise ship to arrive.

I can't accept that excuse re the cruise ships,
Cruise ships were known to be covid carriers . To let those passengers disembark with out any health checks and disperse to all parts of Australia was a disgrace. Most of the covid deaths in Aust are traced back to the Ruby Princess,.
Dutton and the NSW govt stand condemned for their ineptitude .
We all know the rumours re who was amongst the passenger's .
Certain American church members who were allowed without checks and restrictions to travel around Australia for a church gathering.
There should be a royal commission into the debacle instead of the investigation by a known govt lackey.
By the way has any body heard from the investigation or has it been swept under the carpet like robot debt,
How did the covid app perform , millions of bucks spent on not one tracing.
Pointing the finger at Victoria is disingenuous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't accept that excuse re the cruise ships,
Cruise ships were known to be covid carriers . To let those passengers disembark with out any health checks and disperse to all parts of Australia was a disgrace. Most of the covid deaths in Aust are traced back to the Ruby Princess,.
Dutton and the NSW govt stand condemned for their ineptitude .
We all know the rumours re who was amongst the passenger's .
Certain American church members who were allowed without checks and restrictions to travel around Australia for a church gathering.
There should be a royal commission into the debacle instead of the investigation by a known govt lackey.
By the way has any body heard from the investigation or has it been swept under the carpet like robot debt,
How did the covid app perform , millions of bucks spent on not one tracing.
Pointing the finger at Victoria is disingenuous.
The NSW gov stuffed that up massively and they should be facing the music over it.

But this latest outbreak isn't from a cruise ship.

The current second wave is from the Vic Government hiring inexperienced security guard for their hotel quarantine, failing to properly train those inexperienced security guards, those guards contracting Covid from the quarantined guests *surprised Pikachu face* and taking the virus back home, mostly to high rise public housing units, and it spreading like wildfire from there. If Dan had run the hotel quarantines better Victoria wouldn't be experiencing a second wave. Prior to this they were doing well like the rest of the Country and the calls to start easing restrictions were fair.

If I may derail this COVID chat slightly.....

What are we expecting our politicians to do about this and what actions can average Joe (you and I) do about this?

It seems to happen all too regularly within Indigenous communities at the moment and we are failing another generation of Indigenous Australia. It makes me sick to my stomach reading some of these stories but I feel really powerless to help.

If this was in a park in Perth, Melbourne or Sydney I can only imagine the publuc outcry about it.

Trendies these days are generally more concerned with the big indigenous issues like changing the Australia Day date or a bloke getting booed on the footy field a bit.

Sure, but I'm not a trendy. We just had a bit of a family discussion and it seems that it is in the too hard basket.

Forced removal of kids is frowned upon due to the Stolen Generation and queries of current culturally appropriate families to place them in.

Do we leave it to the Indigenous Community to tackle and offer support because I know I don't fully understand their current issues.

Are these kids themselves victims of abuse and continuing the cycle? If so, how do we help break that cycle.

It sickens me that this is continually happening within our nation and I am feeling quite hopeless about our society's ability to tackle it.

Re Clive Palmer's High Court case that WA's hard border closure is unconstitutional. Just so he can attend some meetings at mines or hang out with his inner circle Boys Club in WA o_O

Surely it's also unconstitutional to knowingly put West Australian lives at risk? If COVID breaks out here again like Victoria, people will die....

Any lawyers on here have an opinion on this? Just seems crazy to me

PS my comments about what I think about Clive Palmer would get me banned, so no comment

Surely it's also unconstitutional to knowingly put West Australian lives at risk? If COVID breaks out here again like Victoria, people will die....

Basically the constitution guarantees the right for free movement between states, but the High Court allows an exemption for legitimate purposes. The main question in front of the High Court is whether McGowan's policies are proportional to the health threat. So if the High Court is ruling against McGowan it'll be ruling that McGowan's policies are over-the-top and an abuse of the discretion he's offered.

It's not about whether there's a constitutional right to be safe vs free movement, but whether border closures in a pandemic are a justifiable tool to protect life.

There's a good explanation here.

It's a politically no lose scenario for McGowan in this court case. If the court rules in favor of border closures then he wins, if the court rules to open the border and cases rise at all, McGowan isn't at fault. Current dialogue is that we should expect an inevitable outbreak, well the border being opened will present the perfect political insulation.

Mark is very good at getting in front of the camera and delivering his message in a relatable way. It will be very easy to sell even a state government failure as "this is what we were fighting against, they made us bring down the border and look what happened as we all knew it would"

It's a politically no lose scenario for McGowan in this court case. If the court rules in favor of border closures then he wins, if the court rules to open the border and cases rise at all, McGowan isn't at fault. Current dialogue is that we should expect an inevitable outbreak, well the border being opened will present the perfect political insulation.

Mark is very good at getting in front of the camera and delivering his message in a relatable way. It will be very easy to sell even a state government failure as "this is what we were fighting against, they made us bring down the border and look what happened as we all knew it would"

Thought right wingers were for stronger borders??

Only when it suits them I guess.

Mark is doing a fantastic job and will win in a landslide. The only person with egg on his face is potentially scomo and Christian porter.

Thought right wingers were for stronger borders??

Only when it suits them I guess.

Mark is doing a fantastic job and will win in a landslide. The only person with egg on his face is potentially scomo and Christian porter.

What I said shouldn't be taken as anti-McGowan at all. I'm very happy with how this has worked out for WA.

I think one of the only purposes of government is to protect it's people and it's doing that.

What I said was that there is no way McGowan comes out of this court case anything but a winner. He should put forward an agenda for the next ten years and take it to an election as soon as feasible, the ALP will win in a landslide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back