Bloods' fall from grace: what happened?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
G'day all. I have a soft spot for West Adelaide, since I've spent much of my life living in the west. I always like to see long premiership droughts broken, and last year it pleased me to see the Bloods win their first flag since 1983.

But how on earth did they go straight from premiers to wooden spooners? As someone who doesn't know much about the SANFL these days, I'm curious as to what was behind the fall from grace. Was the game plan found out, was it mental exhaustion or ageing, was it injuries, was it the Crows drafting spearhead Jono Beech?

G'day all. I have a soft spot for West Adelaide, since I've spent much of my life living in the west. I always like to see long premiership droughts broken, and last year it pleased me to see the Bloods win their first flag since 1983.

But how on earth did they go straight from premiers to wooden spooners? As someone who doesn't know much about the SANFL these days, I'm curious as to what was behind the fall from grace. Was the game plan found out, was it mental exhaustion or ageing, was it injuries, was it the Crows drafting spearhead Jono Beech?
Having 6-7 from your premiership team drafted to the AFL (and then have a few of them play against you) will do it.

Does anyone know who to contact at Westies to provide some feedback about a function I am at today? (Apart from the manager on shift today)

Massive missed opportunity for a financially struggling SANFL team.

Happy for someone to PM contact details if the don't want to post them.

Having 6-7 from your premiership team drafted to the AFL (and then have a few of them play against you) will do it.

Scarily Similar to Freo in 2016....

Top or Near top of the ladder then drop down to the Bottom or Near Bottom. Combination of a few things... For Freo and West Adelaide...

-West Adelaide lost a few players in the off season. Some retired, Some were cut or left the club, some got picked up from the AFL teams While Freo Turfed some old guys out and delisted a few guys too.

-Both West Adelaide and Freo got injuries from the start of the season, which meant they couldn't play their best 18 blokes. This resulted in losses which dented the confidence and started a domino effect. Both teams were better in the 2nd half of the season but not by much.

true.

Same thing happened with North Adelaide when they won the 2018 flag.

Win the flag, lose 5-7 players to afl teams. Some players retire or play country or amateur footy.

So out of the 21 players that play in the GF, 6-9 players are already gone. then injuries come in too.

true.

Win the flag, lose 5-7 players to afl teams. Some players retire or play country or amateur footy.

So out of the 21 players that play in the GF, 6-9 players are already gone. then injuries come in too.
And then throw in losing two in the MSD.

true.

Also helps if you make sure there are no extra players on the field...lol

Didn't see too many players on the ground in the 2018 Grand Final.

Unlike Norwood in the 1982 Second Semi Final, North having 19 players on the ground whilst 2 behinds were scored had no affect on the overall result of the 2018 Preliminary Final. Never get the truth get in the way of a good story.

Check out how Norwood scored 3 goals 1 behinds with 19 men on the ground in the 1982 Second Semi Final. Ironically they won that match against Port by 19 points.

Unlike Norwood in the 1982 Second Semi Final, North having 19 players on the ground whilst 2 behinds were scored had no affect on the overall result of the 2018 Preliminary Final. Never get the truth get in the way of a good story.

Check out how Norwood scored 3 goals 1 behinds with 19 men on the ground in the 1982 Second Semi Final. Ironically they won that match against Port by 19 points.
Sure about that?
In another forum Adelaide Hawk has said it was Port who scored the 3.1

As the above poster said, it was Port Adelaide who scored the 3-1, not Norwood.

As the above poster said, it was Port Adelaide who scored the 3-1, not Norwood.
I know Neil Balme said that Port scored 3-1 but a Port player I know who played in the game said Norwood scored 3-1 and sewed up the game. I can remember seeing the cutting at the time from the Adelaide News but I don't remember any mention of the score.
I can't find a copy of the video of the game. It would be interesting to see the first 5 or so minutes of the last quarter of the 1982 game to see who did actually score the 3 goals 1 behind.
Not that it matters one iota.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back