Player Watch Ben Keays - Signs on til 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Won 6 Lost 31

Brisbane 6-24
Adelaide 0-7

Won at Adelaide oval vs Port last year.
Funnily enough i played AFL9s as a curtain raiser to that game and it was delightful. Port tried to rough up Neale and gave up the first 5 goals IIRC

How long do we think it will be until McAsey, McHenry, Hamill, McPherson, McAdam, and Jones rack up 6 wins? About a decade sound right?

How long do we think it will be until McAsey, McHenry, Hamill, McPherson, McAdam, and Jones rack up 6 wins? About a decade sound right?
Gee thats a very sad way of looking at things.
Lots of premiership players started out their careers playing in constant losses.

Lotta pessimism around. I admit I was one who was until a couple of weeks ago. If you analyse what has happened this season, there is room for the supposition that we may turn things around quicker than many believe possible. We were competitive against both the Saints and Dons, and stiff not to win one or both of them. Throw in the 3-point loss to Sydney in Round 1 and we could be sitting on 3 wins so far this season. We are playing much better as a side than a few short weeks ago. There is a will to win there now that seemed lacking earlier.
It won't be a decade before those players rack up half a dozen wins. It will most likely happen next season the way we are currently tracking.

Still a way to go but Id say hes leading our BnF. Be a great story if he won it on the back of a 1 year rookie contract from another team..

The ideal is Ben is performing at a pretty high level and gets overtaken...

Still, he might have daylight on Matt Crouch by the end of the year, which is certainly not a sentence I thought I'd ever write.
I think he is already ahead. Has a greater work ethic.

We are certainly building up a collection of Mc’s.
Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's fumbly, his disposal isnt great.
Even his handballs, they're smart and go in the right direction but theyre not often clean.

One thing he does that our other players simply cannot, is deliberately take the tackle and still get disposal away easily.
Whole midfield, not just one player, you’re describing.

The aggression is one of the best assets he brings as it's been something we've mainly lacked as a team for a very long time.

Crouch's have got a bit of it in them but they've been a bit quiet but good to see Keays willing to make physical contact and give the opposition a rough time. That he's become our best clearance midfielder in recent weeks deserves a lot of credit and it's good to see these 'effort' guys get games in our side as it's a standard we should be setting for all the young players to aim for.

The ideal is Ben is performing at a pretty high level and gets overtaken...

Still, he might have daylight on Matt Crouch by the end of the year, which is certainly not a sentence I thought I'd ever write.
Yeah I argued with you that one of the Crouches had to go for the mid to get some ascension again and I wanted Brad out, but now I’m wavering because Matt is meh with his kicking. Like so bad.

Highly decorated junior career and taken at pick 24. We really shouldn’t be surprised that he’s eventually blossoming. Been very impressed with his last few weeks.

A cautionary tale for those of us becoming impatient with Jones.

Could we add Gooch to Jones. I’m yet to give up on Jordan. He has had a massive wake up call and a terrible injury. If he can still have decent pace after the Achilles he may yet mature into a damaging mid imo. Will need some excellent modern style player management though. Could Doedee do some mentoring there?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could we add Gooch to Jones. I’m yet to give up on Jordan. He has had a massive wake up call and a terrible injury. If he can still have decent pace after the Achilles he may yet mature into a damaging mid imo. Will need some excellent modern style player management though. Could Doedee do some mentoring there?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean, it's possible it does act as a wake up call, but really it's likely an Achillies snap will pretty much ruin him physically. Poor guy.

Yeah I argued with you that one of the Crouches had to go for the mid to get some ascension again and I wanted Brad out, but now I’m wavering because Matt is meh with his kicking. Like so bad.

Unfortunately, there is a certain convenience with letting Brad go, seeing he's out of contract. Also, Matt is really in free-fall, so we might be stuck with him regardless until next year without paying a lot of salary to another side. Not ideal for a mid 20 year old.

Unfortunately, there is a certain convenience with letting Brad go, seeing he's out of contract. Also, Matt is really in free-fall, so we might be stuck with him regardless until next year without paying a lot of salary to another side. Not ideal for a mid 20 year old.
The ideal thing would be for Matt to get his kick up the backside by Brad being shipped out.

We can deal with one of them in the side, the days of 2 appear done. I'd rather keep Brad but it does look like it'll be easier not to.

Keays is performing well above expectations. Improving with each match.

Competes and has a physical presence. Not the most skilful but I like his energy. And I would rather our kids develop alongside people like Keays than high profile stat-chasers.
If he can get his 20 and a goal most weeks, and he keeps providing the defensive presence he becomes quite valuable moving forward

We know he's got the ability to play forward too, which most of our young mids who are Poholke haven't shown yet.

With 2 or 3 drafts of midfielders I think he still ends up great depth at worst IMO

I think he is already ahead. Has a greater work ethic.
Been watching Keays closely, I think this nails it. Work ethic on field too, or workrate rather. Covers the ground very well and his disposal efficiency is pretty good too, especially when considering he's been winning a fair bit of contested ball lately. Played only 4 games at Brisbane in the last 2 years and likely would have broken out last year had he been given a look. Bargain pick up for you, smart bit of recruiting.

Have we finally found our Jarryd Lyons replacement?

Potentially, though probably a tad too early to say that.

If he can keep a 5+ clearance average though, and offer what he is around the ground, he could certainly fill that hole at a minimum.

Potentially, though probably a tad too early to say that.

If he can keep a 5+ clearance average though, and offer what he is around the ground, he could certainly fill that hole at a minimum.
His disposal, overhead marking and clearance work is not at Lyon's level, but he offers more speed and defensive pressure.

He's playing a defensive mid role that Lyons never played for us, so I'm not really sure he is the 'replacement'....also, he has played every game for us too which Lyons couldn't do

Been watching Keays closely, I think this nails it. Work ethic on field too, or workrate rather. Covers the ground very well and his disposal efficiency is pretty good too, especially when considering he's been winning a fair bit of contested ball lately. Played only 4 games at Brisbane in the last 2 years and likely would have broken out last year had he been given a look. Bargain pick up for you, smart bit of recruiting.

Also, often looks to go looooooooong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back