Next out of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda to win a flag?

Who wins a flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Basically the Vics who have all had a long time between drinks having not won any flags this millennium (no, 2000 is not part of this millennium it's apart of the last one).

The rest of the Vics are excluded having all won flags so far this millennium.

Out of Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North, Port, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast and the Dogs who will be the next to win a flag (teams who don't have purple)?

Not a fan of these type of threads as clubs can do a lot right from a list building and coaching staff perspective and not win a premiership. A good example is the Saints from 09-12 was a much better side than the Western Bulldogs in 2016 but failed to win a flag. A much better question is which side will next build a side capable of sustained top 4/top 2 finished over a 3-4 year period. Also don't think its worth forecasting more 4-5 years as lists turn around quickly.

Essendon - I'm bullish that we will be a reasonable side for the next 3-4 years with really only Hooker and Hurley as key players over 30. The problem is to get to a top 2/4 level would require a significant influx/development of talent. Overall I'd say we are more likely to be mid table then push for a flag in the near future.

Melbourne - Gawn and Petracca are a big pieces. Bit concerned with the way management seems to think they are closer than they are. Spending big on Lever, May, Tomlinson ect. Have to wonder how scary they'd be if they had of kept the picks and spent cap space for topline free agents. Need to get the list sorted before Gawn slows down but don't really seem reliant on any other older players.

StKilda - Remind me a bit of Essendon but with more upside due to having more young unproven players. Lack top end talent but Max King could/should change that.

Carlton - Probably have the most upside of any of the teams listed. Have a stack of unproven talent not currently contributing plus Curnow to hopefully come back. Tbh no idea how they go over the next few years. Would not be surprised if they go from strength to strength and rocket up the ladder over the next two years. Also wouldn't be suprised if Dow, O'Brien, Stocker, Kennedy, Setterfield ect continue being underwhelming and they get stuck in mid table.

North Melbourne - Look to be entering a rebuild so no point trying to forecast when they put together a contending side.

Think I'm going to go with StKilda as the best list atm.

Hate to say it, but I think Carlton are building a nice team all roughly around the same age for peak performance and developing together.

It bodes well for future success

Sadly for my team, we'll likely see retirements to key players and need to fill a few holes on the list with fresh hungry players before we'll start heading the right direction, list reads well on paper but rarely shows it on field.

Dees similar to Essendon

North a fair way off

As we've seen though a good draft can change the teams completely.

Edit: Sorry missed Saints, they are slightly ahead of Carlton for future success

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better than the majority of threads that get created on this board.
It's almost like you took my sarcastic idea in your other s**t thread....

This board is full of s**t threads, doesn't mean we need more.

We all root for the underdog.
thats one of the reasons.....

But you look at the list.....

Essendon has not won a final since 2004.

Carlton have not made a prelim since 2000

Melbourne only made finals recently in 2018. take away that, they have been useless in the last 10 years.

Saints are slowly getting their stuff together and they have not made finals since 2011.

North, despite their resources, or lack there of, have performed well against the odds. They made prelims in 2014 and 2015 despite not getting the top 4 or double chance in both of those seasons.

thats one of the reasons.....

But you look at the list.....

Essendon has not won a final since 2004.

Carlton have not made a prelim since 2000

Melbourne only made finals recently in 2018. take away that, they have been useless in the last 10 years.

Saints are slowly getting their stuff together and they have not made finals since 2011.

North, despite their resources, or lack there of, have performed well against the odds. They made prelims in 2014 and 2015 despite not getting the top 4 or double chance in both of those seasons.
North and Saints are both closer than Essendon, Carlton, Melbourne for sure. But just because a team that has a long drought is coming good or will come good doesn't mean they'll be locks ins for a flag when they do. See: Dogs 90s-00s. Saints 90s-00s.

We can't predict long-term, only short-term.

This is all about atm. I wish i could look into the future then my life would be sorted. St Kilda looking good atm but dunno about their ability to actually do the job. Next and i hate saying this is Carlton. Improving rapidly and have plenty of talent. Essendon, Melbourne and North aren't even worth putting in the same sentence with "win a flag".

Not long ago and Melbourne would be winning this poll as favourite to win a flag first out of this group.

Has to be st kilda at this stage? Melbourne looked their best since 2018 finals before thursday nights big loss. Carlton looked to be a finals chance before the 10 goal turnaround vs the hawks. North are in no mans land like the past 20 years. Essendon? They have good weeks and bad weeks, but overall nowhere near it. Not a good finals gamestyle.

Not a fan of these type of threads as clubs can do a lot right from a list building and coaching staff perspective and not win a premiership. A good example is the Saints from 09-12 was a much better side than the Western Bulldogs in 2016 but failed to win a flag. A much better question is which side will next build a side capable of sustained top 4/top 2 finished over a 3-4 year period. Also don't think its worth forecasting more 4-5 years as lists turn around quickly.

I agree. On that basis,

Essendon - look like they will be top 8 over next few years. Bridging to genuine contender - I think Daniher is (would have been) the missing piece.
Melbourne - 21 Corollas and 1 Ferrari. Gawn is the only thing that stands between them and bottom 4.
Saints - An AA grade midfielder away from top 4. Best spine of this group. Like Bombers should be solid top 8 over next few years.
Carlton - List seems all over the place and at the moment does not look like it is set to come together all at once.
North - I think a long way off. Like Saints probably need an injection of A grade talent but in more places than the Saints.

Back