News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 50 players not entered in WTA 'Cincy' (via TennisForum):
Barty, Halep, Svitolina, Andreescu, Osaka, Martic, Kerber, Wang, Pavlyuchenkova, Zheng, Stephens, Goerges, Ostapenko, Hercog.
That's 7 slam champions missing (one expects some of them still play USO though)..

That is a lot of talent not doing a lead up event. 1 has confirmed no US swing. Let's see who else
We first have to wait to see if the US Open decide to go ahead. I'd say a final decision on that will be made within the next week.

If it is going to go ahead, it will be a hot mess. I'd say many top players outside of America will be missing. Could make for a very interesting tournament. If Serena wins Number 24 with a very weakened field, how do we feel about that?

In 30 years time her slam tally would still say 24 and there would be basically no discussion on her 24th slam being illegitimate.

We first have to wait to see if the US Open decide to go ahead. I'd say a final decision on that will be made within the next week.

If it is going to go ahead, it will be a hot mess. I'd say many top players outside of America will be missing. Could make for a very interesting tournament. If Serena wins Number 24 with a very weakened field, how do we feel about that?

In 30 years time her slam tally would still say 24 and there would be basically no discussion on her 24th slam being illegitimate.
bit like all of Courts Australian Open tallies. They were weakened fields. People will use whatever they feel like to make an argument regardless but I hope she doesn't win it. Would feel so flat. Still, it looks likely that the last 2 champions plus the world number 1 and 2 are not going to turn up. It could be just 3 from the top 10....Tough to sell an interest in the tournament when it is weaker than Adelaide.

I am conflicted about it going ahead. It shouldn't, but tennis needs money coming in. I think it is going ahead. they just announced the first field for the warm-up tournaments plus money is needed. But geech, I am looking to the French Open a lot more.

US Open cant go ahead, things are an absoulte mess across the whole of US and to go back to Europe for the french, players have to isolate for 2 weeks and there isnt a 2 week break between the slams. They will be forced to cancel it i believe.

Who says Serena even plays the US Open? She may be just as nervous about it as the international players.

She's committed to that new tournament in Kentucky which starts the following week.

God, tennis seems so far away still.

Right on cue. .

Ashley Barty is not going to the us. Huge rumours about Halep and Nadal. That is a huge blow to the legitimacy of the slam imo. The world number 1 deciding to not play.

There is a lot of good us women players still but you would think this is her last chance. Age waits for no one.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
This puts me in mind of the (Poker) WSOP Main Event taking place online - yet only 2 states in the US are eligible to play this event due to licensing and geocaching that dumps you if you are in another country or outside those states - even New York city players cant play - yet across the river in New Jersey they can

This US open shouldnt count to any Slam records

Pretty sure some players have been denied an exemption to leave their country to compete, so not open to all.
no shock that there are a couple of Chinese players not on the list of warm-up tournaments. I don't know where they base themselves but I can't think the CCP would want anyone going to the US(due to covid)

Barty is the first. I say we will get some more names soon. Nadal is the obvious big one on the mens. If I was someone like Theim, I would skip the US to work on the French Open, regardless of Covid-19.

In this world, one day it might be fine, the next it will be canned. Impossible to predict. Will say it will be tough on players having to stay in the hotel rooms. Some will go nuts not being able to go out. Expect a lot of unusual results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see how it's possible for the US Open to go ahead and I do expect more players to withdraw from the tournament. As mentioned by bobbymorri, some players will struggle to stay in the hotel all the time especially when they aren't training or playing. Look at Zverev, he was happy to party during a pandemic.

Tennis should focus on the European circuit (depending on the corona virus cases). Or, cancel 2020 tennis season.

If this happens, I'm convinced tennis will struggle to come back as a professional sport

Maybe it will be a chance for a complete overhaul, same for a lot of other professional sports. Might take a while but in the long run we might end up with something better for players and fans alike. I think many of us feel like sport has lost it's way and no longer serves many of the players (except those at the very top) and many of the real fans.

I'm surprised that Krygios is going to the States to play given his stance on the virus and what players have been up to. Really hoping that Barty goes to Paris and defends her title. Will there be an * against the players who wins the titles in the States considering the depth of the field.

sounds like Osaka will play the US. Just taken a WC. The only lead-up tournament playing list is below

8 out of the top 10 mens. Missing is Monflis(French) and RF(injured)
7 of the women. No Barty, Halep(def not coming), Svitolina(no idea, but is playing in Europe) or Andreescu(who knows, but probably injured)

That would be good for the US if that stays that way. There are other big players not in the top 10 missing, such as Stan and Ostapenko.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back