Analysis The Missing Ingredient

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My opinion is Bevo has a year in mind... He is playing players 'out of position' and a few depth players to see if he can find any strengths that weren't previously identified. Particularly with the shortened season. I think once we reach the certain point that Bev has in mind, we will see a more structured and consistent 22 take the field each week. He seems to be continually playing the long game which can be good, but can also mean we could be a middle of the road side for well forever.

Not sure that's the case if you saw his reaction at the end of the richmond game

... Their job is to get the best out of the players on the list and we are only seeing that some of the time.
And perhaps to get the best out of the head coach too?

... My fear is that our list will be raided over the next few years by teams who are performing better than us, as has been the case plenty of times before.
Or that our window will close before we realise it was open.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hopefully when Astro comes back we get a reproduction number or R value of 2. One for Astro plus One for Bruce getting second best tall maybe even R Factor 3 with Bailey Dale playing injury free.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Bevo needs to find out what his best 22 looks like and then live with a bad individual performance for a couple games before switching it up.
Very disappointing that each of the past years we have not been able to start the season with a firm best 22. Whatever we are doing in the off-season does not give us the ability to identify who our best players are. I have very low confidence in our match committee (and don't even know exactly who that is) and whatever process they are using to select the team.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very disappointing that each of the past years we have not been able to start the season with a firm best 22. Whatever we are doing in the off-season does not give us the ability to identify who our best players are. I have very low confidence in our match committee (and don't even know exactly who that is) and whatever process they are using to select the team.
Was just having this thought yesterday. How many other teams in the comp come close to us for the most unstable best 22?

Our defence has taken a few years to get there, but it's finally starting to look settled, except for maybe the 7th spot where it could be Wood, Trengove, Young, Butler or whoever else.

The midfield isn't too bad except one of the wings. Sometimes it's Vandermeer, sometimes it's Richards, sometimes it's Lipinski, sometimes it's Suckling, sometimes it's Macrae, etc.

The forward line is just a mess. It appears Bruce + Naughton should be locks. Wallis seems to have secured his spot too. I feel like Dale should be in there, but that's still unclear. Vandermeer and Richards don't belong there long term, and we can't realistically keep naming midfielders up forward. Guys like West, Cavarra and Weightman could all potentially fill a role, but we rarely give them a chance

Too much optimism and not enough realism.
The club needs more people to tell it how it is.
1596180415813.png

Mr Gordon? I'm from Big Footy and I'd like to share with you some research and insights from our expert team ...

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we’re not playing playing prelims by 2022 I would write a blank cheque to Clarko as he finishes his contract at the hawks.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Good point about the match committee. I am concerned that it exists as a rubber stamp for whatever Bevo wants.
And, as has been mentioned many times, there has not been a serious freshening up of the coaching team since 2016.

The reviews that Collingwood and Richmond have carried out both concluded that Buckley and Hardwick were taking on too much of the decision-making, not delegating and wanting to micro-manage too much of the coaching operations of their clubs. Many a sacked coach has been guilty of the same practices. I worry that Bevo is slipping into that mold.

Love Bevo to bits but maybe it is time that the club takes a step back and supports the coach by instituting a comprehensive review of football operations from top to bottom.

Good point about the match committee. I am concerned that it exists as a rubber stamp for whatever Bevo wants.
And, as has been mentioned many times, there has not been a serious freshening up of the coaching team since 2016.

The reviews that Collingwood and Richmond have carried out both concluded that Buckley and Hardwick were taking on too much of the decision-making, not delegating and wanting to micro-manage too much of the coaching operations of their clubs. Many a sacked coach has been guilty of the same practices. I worry that Bevo is slipping into that mold.

Love Bevo to bits but maybe it is time that the club takes a step back and supports the coach by instituting a comprehensive review of football operations from top to bottom.
Great suggestion.
I wonder whether our club doesn't go down this path because we are just happy to be contending? When in fact we should be smashing it by now.

Ruthless clubs aren't satisfied with finishing 5th-8th. We need to be a club that is ruthless (but honest) in pursuit of success.

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Matt Boyd springs to mind but I don’t think there is any point as I don’t think Bevo likes to be challenged.

This is not having a go at you, it’s a genuine question. I often read things about Bevo on here along the lines of him surrounding himself with yes people. Does anybody actually have any evidence of this? From my way of thinking, the assistants seem to want to stay and work with him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is not having a go at you, it’s a genuine question. I often read things about Bevo on here along the lines of him surrounding himself with yes people. Does anybody actually have any evidence of this? From my way of thinking, the assistants seem to want to stay and work with him.
It's a fair question. I posted something similar elsewhere today.

We only have indirect evidence which could be just BF putting 2 + 2 together to make 5. People have been saying it here for years but that doesn't necessarily make it true. Perhaps it's collateral damage from having to shed coaching staff? i.e. fewer voices to offer a different angle on things means less lively discussion and more "whatever you say Luke". He wouldn't be an easy bloke to stare down in a disagreement.

I'm sure all the assistants are happy to work with him. Working under a flag-winning coach is always good for your CV. However that doesn't prove it's a well-balance regime.

Bevo's background as a senior manager in the ATO should have taught him a thing or two about leadership but as The Buck has pointed out some very good coaches have been progressively sucked into taking on too much decision-making etc. They have benefited once that was rectified.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Personally I think Bont has been made captain a year or two early. I get the decision, but I think its been a distraction for him when he's yet to reach his peak. He should be a top 5 player but at the moment he's just scraping into the top 25.

That aside, I don't think the Richmond loss had much to do with on field leadership. This is how I see it.

We have too many similar players who are solid contributors but lack athletic ability. Richmond has focused speed and skill. We have some big and strong boys in the middle but this doesn't help when you are chasing the tails of Bolton, Pickett, Martin, etc.

So we focus on winning the ball, right? Against GWS in the final last year we won the ball and then got swamped, and beaten to a pulp. Richmond's pressure was similar, and while they don't have (and don't need!) GWS's additional dirty tactics the effect is still the same. Richmond are the best tackling and pressure side I've seen and we were feeling the pressure, real or implied, as soon as we touched the ball.

This has now been exacerbated by the AFL's / Clarko's change in interpretation of the holding the ball rule. This has and will hurt us more badly than most.

Finally, I'm sure we will be a much better side when Naughton returns. He is a star and will straighten us up immensely.

I have no doubt that we'll perform better against Port this week.

theburst

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2008
vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hopefully Bevo made the team watch the Hawks yesterday. In that second quarter watch the players just keeping pushing the ball foward, tap, shank, push, little kick, willing the ball forward. That's intent, absolute fierce desire to drive hard, forward. Suddenly the ball bounces your way. We're better than the Hawks and comical losing to Carlton.

Does it take the blowtorch from the all types of media for players to get that 'edge'? It'll probably be there against Port then what about week after week afterwards? This is Bevo's management to get their minds salivating to play hard, a loss is not an option.

It's probably different and more difficult in the Hub but can't drop this year thinking about next year.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A
I agree we need to stick with a line up and cop the bad game here and there from individuals but we already seem to do that the issue is it’s when Beveridge plays favourites.

Examples - McLean schache Lewis young all get dropped after single sub par performances

Gowers dale Richards all given time to find form
Agree 100% team selection needs to be more balanced. Just ruining young develoling players if they don't get some continuity. Team can't develop chemistry if it always a revolving door of change that isn't forced.
Makes it hard for leaders as the team is always different week to week whether it needs to be or not. Trying to motivate guys to do the team thing when their primary concern is have I done enough to get a game next week must be supremely onerous task.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our form has been fairly consistent this year imo. Aside from the Carlton game. We've beaten the average teams plus an injured Giants. And have lost to the decent teams. We're tracking as I expected. Reality is we're just not as good as the media and so called experts think we are.

Leadership might be an issue. Hard to tell from the outside. Reckon our forward line is our biggest issue atm. But the signs are good. Bruce was a good pickup. Vander looks good. Wallis improving each month. Weightman just needs games. JUH coming. Naughton to come back.
One tall forward doesn't work structurally it allows Bruce to be double teamed or the 2nd tall defender to sag off and impact the contest provide another number. And from there they can start their chain and swarm forward with an outnumber.
A second tall at least makes the defender somewhat accountable, splits the defenders and makes some space in the forward line. Also helps in slowing up transition if the opposition dont always have an outnumber along the chain to release pressure and have a free run at it.
In my humble opinion

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A

Agree 100% team selection needs to be more balanced. Just ruining young develoling players if they don't get some continuity. Team can't develop chemistry if it always a revolving door of change that isn't forced.
Makes it hard for leaders as the team is always different week to week whether it needs to be or not. Trying to motivate guys to do the team thing when their primary concern is have I done enough to get a game next week must be supremely onerous task.

Its highlighted to a greater extent to this year.

The younger guys can’t go back to the VFL and play the same role under the same game plan and and same system to get used to things and then the only thing they need to do when they get promoted is pick up the speed of the game at AFL level. This year you can’t practice making sure your in the right position in the zone or leading to the right spots in the forward line so they need time. Can’t really even train it this season.

I think we need to pick especially a balanced forward line and back them in for the rest of the season if that includes a west or a weightman and they don’t touch the football for a week or two so be it give them time.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Its highlighted to a greater extent to this year.

The younger guys can’t go back to the VFL and play the same role under the same game plan and and same system to get used to things and then the only thing they need to do when they get promoted is pick up the speed of the game at AFL level. This year you can’t practice making sure your in the right position in the zone or leading to the right spots in the forward line so they need time. Can’t really even train it this season.

I think we need to pick especially a balanced forward line and back them in for the rest of the season if that includes a west or a weightman and they don’t touch the football for a week or two so be it give them time.
I thought it worked incredibly well for Lukas Webb when he got to play as an inside midfielder in the VFL only too on the odd time
he was promoted have to play an outside role at AFL level. In 2008 we had a young tyro at Williamstown named Boumann who
lit up the development league with ten goals as a KPF in the finals, this exited me so the next year i ventured down to Willy with
their economy style hot dogs only to see him line up in the twos as a "Michael Johnson" style back pocket. It was a long drive
home that day. I also witnessed Matthew Panos kick a lazy ten in the development league at Frankston while on the opposite
side of the ground to the brass band, so much disappointment so many bland hot dogs. On a positive note at the VFL games you
could go into the huddles and listen to the gold and try not to laugh.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Not sure that's the case if you saw his reaction at the end of the richmond game
He can be disappointed at the results and efforts from a few players, but I get the idea he is always prioritising the future over the now. Not so much of a problem at the moment but it could go on for years. He is the type of coach that could grab say an Adelaide at the moment, drag them up into finals contention within a matter of years. But I dont think hes the type of coach who will continue to take that side consistently into the top four. I would love to be wrong, and if you can get the best of both worlds you have yourself one hell of a coach

Southern 8

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love Bevo and still believe in him but mistakes have been made as a club and coaching panel as well as plain bad luck since that glorious day in 2016. Great article and I was thinking of Cotchin whilst reading it.Im not a great writer so bare with my random thoughts of the issues leading to today.
Murphy, M Boyd, Morris - Heart and soul were coming to a end of career best behind them. Morris unfortunately the knees gave in.
Hamling, T Boyd, C Smith, Biggs, Picken. Hammer wanting to go home massive, Boyd and Smith without their respective issues would be in their prime now. Missed Picko so much with concussion issues and Biggs wasn’t the same player with his issues.
Stringer, Dahlhaus, Roughead. Rough imo is showing at Pies he is a better back than ruck. Stringer and Dahlhaus what went wrong? Many opinions but they were great and we miss them particularly Stringer.
Ok so we wouldn’t have the picks to draft some of the talent we now have without these guys leaving but would be an experienced and hardened side with out bad luck and possibly bad management of certain players.
Imagine if we still had T Boyd, C Smith, Hamling, Dahlhaus, Stringer still in the side. Fate has intervened in different ways. Picken May have had a year left to in 2020. Thankfully we have now got B Smith, Naughton, English, Crozier, Keath and others come in and I’m still hopeful of another flag soon it’s time to settle and find our best 25 and get older as a team whilst Bont, Macrae, Dunks, Libba are still at their best.
I guess after writing that I think the missing ingredient is enough experience which brings with it leadership. Got to hold the core together and not repeat losing good players. Grow together and look out competition.

Last edited:

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A

Agree for a normal season but with the short breaks in 2020 and a young list, need at least a couple of changes each week.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One tall forward doesn't work structurally it allows Bruce to be double teamed or the 2nd tall defender to sag off and impact the contest provide another number. And from there they can start their chain and swarm forward with an outnumber.
A second tall at least makes the defender somewhat accountable, splits the defenders and makes some space in the forward line. Also helps in slowing up transition if the opposition dont always have an outnumber along the chain to release pressure and have a free run at it.
In my humble opinion
Yeah agree. In all seriousness I think that's why Gowers is being selected, in the absence of Naughton and Schache.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
It’s not just an ingredient. I think we are completely devoid of leadership.

We have no one on the field that can Marshall a game plan whatsoever. We either have the game on our terms or lose. There is no correction.

We lack a lot of hardness.

We have no marking forwards whatsoever. Bruce might mark the ball if he wasn’t triple teamed permanently, and Naughton will help but it’s really disappointing that our staff can’t organise a forward line just because Naughton is injured. One missing player shouldn’t completely handicap are ability to score.

we need about 4 Duryea types immediately, not defenders but hard experienced capable players.

We just have a long way to go replacing the experience and leadership lost in 2017-2018.

Back