Roast Geelong vs North in Brisbane - must buy two/four/six tickets at a time

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Yes, I know that if you live in Victoria, this is going to come across as the whinging of the rich and famous. Sorry and sympathies. I have no doubt that our turn for lockdown will come soon enough - as it probably will around most Australian cities.

Anyway... I obviously now live in Brisbane and was thrilled to see the club coming up to play - so when the Qld membership offer (including first access to tickets) was announced, I signed up right away. We can only really expect to get one chance per year to see Geelong in the flesh - so three whole games is a pretty incredible opportunity.

So, anyway, I was disappointed to see that the tickets are only on-sale in banks of 2, 4 or 6 - and that this isn't made public when you sign up for the QLD membership. I'm the only AFL fan I know in Brisbane - and it seems rather counterproductive to try and split the cost with a stranger in COVID19 times, so it's a double-price ticket. It's hardly as though the AFL is going to fill the ground (even allowing for distancing) for Geelong vs North on a Wednesday night.

Refusing to sell in sets of 1, 3 or 5 does smack of a ticketing organisation wanting to milk a bit more money where they can. It's greedy and cynical, and it's a shame.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Refusing to sell in sets of 1, 3 or 5 does smack of a ticketing organisation wanting to milk a bit more money where they can. It's greedy and cynical, and it's a shame.
It's not. It will be entirely to do with how they're assigning seats to maximise attendance whilst maintaining social distancing.

edit: If you have to buy two tickets anyway, invite someone for free and con them for drinks...

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
It's not. It will be entirely to do with how they're assigning seats to maximise attendance whilst maintaining social distancing.
I know that's the given reason per se (that they will have pre-allocated banks of 2, 4 and 6 with empty seats above, below and either side) but given how empty the Gabba will be, it cannot be that hard to throw in a few 1s, 3s and 5s.

Look, if it's a sellout, I'll eat my words.

CatFan73

Senior List
Oct 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I’m another fan in Brisbane disappointed to read this when I received the email. i Suspect I can just turn up on the night and buy a single ticket at the gate?

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong

edit: If you have to buy two tickets anyway, invite someone for free and con them for drinks...

That's a good point, actually. Would be a good way to introduce someone to footy and maybe make yourself a footy buddy for future endeavours!

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I’m another fan in Brisbane disappointed to read this when I received the email. i Suspect I can just turn up on the night and buy a single ticket at the gate?
Yeah i wouldnt.

tickets are being capped. In some cases at very low numbers. Plus they probably want all tickets bought online for contract tracing purposes.

Catloundra

Rookie
Aug 22, 2017
with toughCAT in CATalonia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
City and Barca
“Refusing to sell in sets of 1, 3 or 5 does smack of a ticketing organisation wanting to milk a bit more money where they can. It's greedy and cynical, and it's a shame.”

.... forcing 2, 4 and 6 sales is a bit unfair, but on the flip side the cost is only $30 a seat, so thats pretty good!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
“Refusing to sell in sets of 1, 3 or 5 does smack of a ticketing organisation wanting to milk a bit more money where they can. It's greedy and cynical, and it's a shame.”

.... forcing 2, 4 and 6 sales is a bit unfair, but on the flip side the cost is only $30 a seat, so thats pretty good!
Yeah, that’s not bad (though it’s the equivalent of $38 for a full game).

That's a good point, actually. Would be a good way to introduce someone to footy and maybe make yourself a footy buddy for future endeavours!
I've just taken this approach for the St Kilda game, bought 2 tickets and i'll work the details out later. Luckily have conned my partner in to coming to the Port Adelaide game :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back