QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Becoming obvious which clubs backed their own, and who decided to take whoever they could.

It will be 18 months before we know which method works best, but the #10weekrecruits are going well for some, and not others.

More like 2 months..

Watched the Siders vs Pies on youtube. Good standard for wet weather footy. I liked number 13 for Siders, though dont know his name. Colenzo had a crack. Was busy and played years above his age. Coleman looks exciting with the ball, but wasnt his sort of day. His class was obvious though. Didnt see much of Crozier. Either he got a bit lost amongst it, or perhaps i missed the things he did? Siders dont want to go to sleep against some of the other sides like they did in the 2nd qtr.

Just on the Academies. To suggest boys are chosen as witches hats for the better ones is poor thinking. Most would agree kids mature mentally and physically at different rates. Kids who are dominant at u12s often come back to the pack by u16s. Some of the smaller ones at 12yo grow and by u16s are weapons. THE JOB OF ACADEMIES IS TO RECOGNISE POTENTIAL AND DEVELOP IT. NOT PICK WINNERS AT 12YO!

All the kids in the Academies have had their potential recognised and are watched, given the chance to develop and show what they can do over the next few seasons. I dont see how that can be labelled a negative? As suggested above, clubs can nominate kids to be looked at if they believe a kid has fallen through the net, but ultimately the Lions and AFLQ staff judge the talent.

More like 2 months..

Watched the Siders vs Pies on youtube. Good standard for wet weather footy. I liked number 13 for Siders, though dont know his name. Colenzo had a crack. Was busy and played years above his age. Coleman looks exciting with the ball, but wasnt his sort of day. His class was obvious though. Didnt see much of Crozier. Either he got a bit lost amongst it, or perhaps i missed the things he did? Siders dont want to go to sleep against some of the other sides like they did in the 2nd qtr.

Just on the Academies. To suggest boys are chosen as witches hats for the better ones is poor thinking. Most would agree kids mature mentally and physically at different rates. Kids who are dominant at u12s often come back to the pack by u16s. Some of the smaller ones at 12yo grow and by u16s are weapons. THE JOB OF ACADEMIES IS TO RECOGNISE POTENTIAL AND DEVELOP IT. NOT PICK WINNERS AT 12YO!

All the kids in the Academies have had their potential recognised and are watched, given the chance to develop and show what they can do over the next few seasons. I dont see how that can be labelled a negative? As suggested above, clubs can nominate kids to be looked at if they believe a kid has fallen through the net, but ultimately the Lions and AFLQ staff judge the talent.

I agree that kids grow at different rates. Plenty of U12 carnival are dominated by those born in the first weeks of the year and early developers. If we all know it why are kids taken into the Academy before aged 16?
You call it negative about labeling players ranked 10-30 in Academy squads as witches hats, which is a bit derogatory tbh, but plenty of clubs tell me there is a lot of pick up left to be done after those players get the reality jolt they simply didnt see coming and the Academy is no where to be seen or heard at those times.
If there was a little bit more linkage to clubs there may be less fall out for kids who were never going to the heights they dream or at the very least understand that they are project players and reserves is where they are actually at and they have to earn every kick like everyone else.

Watched the Siders vs Pies on youtube. Good standard for wet weather footy. Siders dont want to go to sleep against some of the other sides like they did in the 2nd qtr.

Conversely, Magpies need to find a way to maintain their intensity from the 2nd qtr throughout the game. Feels like they are a better team than they showed for most of that game. Could use a few more Ryan Harwood's

Last edited:
As for Lions selection policies; I think they acknowledged that oversight perhaps 3 seasons ago and by late 2018 doubled their academy numbers in all age groups up to about 17yo. There will always be those who fall through the net, but as that restructure matures one would hope less good kids get overlooked going forward.

Dunno whether doubling the numbers was solely so they didn’t miss talent. I think it was more about not missing some dollars. They boosted revenue dramatically, culled a lot and ended up with the usual number of kids when it came to the normal program. A lot of kid’s parents paid for the privilege to be in the “Talent Program” for a short while. Spose not a bad thing, as it gave a lot kids a bit of a pump up. But to think it was anything more than a way to get a bit more revenue is fanciful.

Here is a smart piece of work by Colenzo.

Hes playing forward but gets down in the backs to help out. Watch him and you notice he sees opportunity to get the ball downfield, follows the play looking for the ball. He looks for the ball early in the passage, doesn't get it but continues in support of the ball carrier.
When Colenzo finally gets it he has little time as the defenders are now on him. He quickly handballs to he advantage of Rolls so Rolls can run onto it and leave the defenders behind. Had he just handballed it to Rolls, Rolls would have been swamped.
Great quick decision making. Rolls then promotes the ball well to Crozier, who has perhaps too many options and launches the ball at goals with maybe 2 thoughts in mind.
In the end, neither idea came off and what SHOULD have been Colenzos goal (he created the opportunity) was lost.

54.04 of the video.

Here is a smart piece of work by Colenzo.

Hes playing forward but gets down in the backs to help out. Watch him and you notice he sees opportunity to get the ball downfield, follows the play looking for the ball. He looks for the ball early in the passage, doesn't get it but continues in support of the ball carrier.
When Colenzo finally gets it he has little time as the defenders are now on him. He quickly handballs to he advantage of Rolls so Rolls can run onto it and leave the defenders behind. Had he just handballed it to Rolls, Rolls would have been swamped.
Great quick decision making. Rolls then promotes the ball well to Crozier, who has perhaps too many options and launches the ball at goals with maybe 2 thoughts in mind.
In the end, neither idea came off and what SHOULD have been Colenzos goal (he created the opportunity) was lost.

54.04 of the video.

Whilst I appreciate your a fan of the young bloke Covertackle the name is spelt Colenso. Just for the record 😂

Whilst I appreciate your a fan of the young bloke Covertackle the name is spelt Colenso. Just for the record 😂

Haha. I guess it shows im more observant of actions than words.. :thumbsu:

And I should say im not a fan of any particular one or other of the potential draftee boys running around. I just noticed that bit of play on the weekend and thought it was notable. I could have shown a goal he kicked, or something Coleman did, but it was that moment that showed something about the player. Had Crozier done it id have mentioned it..

Last edited:
You guys will be fine in the long run. Seems like things are in place for a good future. Always a good amount of respect between our clubs.

The reserved and colts games today were some of the wettest conditions I’ve seen at Salk oval. Cleared up dramatically for the senior game

might have to take a bit of that back as only 1 grange player (A.Boston) was the only one to come and a have a beer in the clubhouse after the match.

Says a lot of you can’t go into the oppo club for a beer after a game win, lose or draw.

I wonder if that was an instruction not to go in or just disrespect ?

might have to take a bit of that back as only 1 grange player (A.Boston) was the only one to come and a have a beer in the clubhouse after the match.

Says a lot of you can’t go into the oppo club for a beer after a game win, lose or draw.

If that happened then that is a shame. I find all the players from all clubs have been pretty good this year understanding where the world is at. But if only they took a closer interest in what it takes to run a footy club there would be more respect to volunteers and matters, such as the bar revenue, which help the clubs tick. Although we may need to be careful with this stuff if PBC players use the excuse they need to race back down the M1 when it's their turn. I think a few clubs have it as a bit of an unwritten rule to stay for one drink

Last edited:
If that happened then that is a shame. I find all the players from all clubs have been pretty good this year understanding where the world is at. But if only they took a closer interest in what it takes to run a footy club there would be more respect to volunteers and matters, such as the bar revenue, which help the clubs tick. Although we may need to be careful with this stuff if PBC players use the excuse they need to race back down the M1 when it's their turn. I think a few clubs have it as a bit of an unwritten rule to stay for one drink

absolutely lagging.

I think it’s more about respect than a few dollars. Takes 10 mins to go in an have 1. You don’t even need to have a drink just show your face

My advice for kids who look at social media for comments about how they are going, or peoples opinion of their performances etc; Is DONT. There are only two types of people whose opinions matter to your future. Those that support you, and those who promote you. All the rest is just NOISE! Don't listen to noise, it cant help you, is distracting, may well be wrong, and most times promoted by the unqualified.

I find myself contributing to the noise. So im going to leave it, right there.

Boston just having a beer with his teammates, not far from home either!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the Live Stream games only coming on line last week they will be only showing 6 games.

Should they be just showing the match of the round instead of sharing number of games for each club?

Not being disrespectful to clubs but not sure I am very interested in watching 2 bottom sides go around?

We have opportunity with no community footy in Melbourne to showcase QAFL Competition and not sure if not having best game of week on show, we are missing the mark a bit?

With the Live Stream games only coming on line last week they will be only showing 6 games.

Should they be just showing the match of the round instead of sharing number of games for each club?

Not being disrespectful to clubs but not sure I am very interested in watching 2 bottom sides go around?

We have opportunity with no community footy in Melbourne to showcase QAFL Competition and not sure if not having best game of week on show, we are missing the mark a bit?

I agree with this. Match of the round should always be there streamed match. I think all other games are still being filmed so if anyone wanted to watch they are online. Just can’t watch them live obviously

Yeah it becomes nonsensical the number of clubs some kids play for prior to 17. Teaches nothing imo. Least of all appreciation for Club. Some kids have good reasons such as moving to a footy area (wide bay boys move to sC, DD boys to West bris ) but a lot are driven by (well meaning but misguided imo) parents

Hi. Joining the thread so hope that’s ok.

When there are junior players that switch clubs all the time or have that “ugly” parent, you don’t think the old club and the new club get on the phone and give each other the heads up????

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hi. Joining the thread so hope that’s ok.

When there are junior players that switch clubs all the time or have that “ugly” parent, you don’t think the old club and the new club get on the phone and give each other the heads up????

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In my experience usually happy to see the end of idiot families so don’t care if they leave or where they go and don’t make contact with any club. Incoming idiot families will invariably make contact telling you their kid is the next Gary Ablett and wanting you to sort of sell them on the club. I don’t engage and just point them to the registration link. Most of the time they don’t sign up and it’s no loss overall

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back