Analysis Football is stuffed

Remove this Banner Ad

When the only player who is actually attacking the contested ball is penalised, then the game is broken.

As far as I can see (and that admittedly might be a limited view), AFL is the only major sporting competition where the rules are changed from week to week, according to the diktats of the governing administration.

Just give umpires a rule book, let them officiate, and then select the best ones week to week on performance. Shouldn't be that hard, but when you have an overblown corporate empire, people need a role to justify their own salaries, hence we have an umpire's 'department'

• Banned
As far as I can see (and that admittedly might be a limited view), AFL is the only major sporting competition where the rules are changed from week to week, according to the diktats of the governing administration.

Just give umpires a rule book, let them officiate, and then select the best ones week to week on performance. Shouldn't be that hard, but when you have an overblown corporate empire, people need a role to justify their own salaries, hence we have an umpire's 'department'

The problem runs deeper than that Merlin.

The coaches, interchanges and contemporary footballer fitness have outgrown the fundamentals of the sport.

However, IMO there is a solution. The game must be slowed down.

The coaches, interchanges and contemporary footballer fitness have outgrown the fundamentals of the sport.

Agreed - the emergence of the super-fit professional footballer has shrunk a whole ground game into a confined space game....and the umpiring still sucks

• Banned
Agreed - the emergence of the super-fit professional footballer has shrunk a whole ground game into a confined space game....and the umpiring still sucks

The umpiring is pathetic because they are expecting to interpret the sport from outside the fundamental nuance of it's traditional understanding.

It moves at lightning speed now, and is so congested, that it makes the task incredibly difficult.

The coaches have been the number one vandals, I am certain of that.

• Banned
Chicken Little, I feel you have had this view for two decades.

You enjoy this s**t? You must be sticking that pick in your arm 10 minutes before the ball is bounced.

You enjoy this sh*t? You must be sticking that pick in your arm 10 minutes before the ball is bounced.
I was asleep on the couch before 3/4 time. I think it's one howler by the umpire that doesn't get paid 99 times out of 100.
HTB is the biggest interpretive problem of all our rules, and it's been that way since the 80s at least. There were some ******* stodgy games of ball up after ball up before they got hotter on prior opportunity.
The current s**t show at the * factory can be traced directly back to Clarko's whinge after the Hawks beat us. Ironically my view was they had HTB pretty much right at that time, and now they've sown doubt in the umpires' minds with a mid-season change of interpretation. They would have been better served saying lets keep an eye out for throws.
It will sort itself out in time.

Not hard to work out how. But will never happen.

The only way it stops is if another coach figures out a way to beat it. It's over a decade now, and still waiting.

It can be fixed by the AFL, although as I think as scotty alluded, the political will is not there at the AFL to take the necessary steps to fix it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If rtaings fall through the floor and broadcasters arent willing to pay as much, we'll be back to 2 on the bench.

Which succinctly sums up the main corrupting factor..............money.

That would be fine, wouldn't even matter if we went back to 19th and 20th man, worked well for decades, why the hell do we need everyone running around like blue arsed flies?
Has there been a demonstrated reduction in injuries since we've moved to 4 on the bench? I don't know. It doesn't seem like it. Maybe it's just our young players al ways injured.

That would be fine, wouldn't even matter if we went back to 19th and 20th man, worked well for decades, why the hell do we need everyone running around like blue arsed flies?

OH&S apparently.:rolleyes:

Has there been a demonstrated reduction in injuries since we've moved to 4 on the bench? I don't know. It doesn't seem like it. Maybe it's just our young players al ways injured.

Your time-span is too narrow.

How many injuries were there in the 90's before players were turned in to fine tuned endurance running machines?

I can't think of one positive factor that has arisen from this aspect of football, all it has done is elevated players who did not otherwise have the requisite skills to play the game at the highest level, solely due to their cardio genetics.

Multi-million dollar football departments created this for the strategic benefits of coaches to exploit, and the game has sufferred as a result.

The O.H&S bullshit is what comes WITH THIS, and utilising it now as an OH&S factor is a farcical response to an issue that was actually created by those who defend it with this garbage.

Your time-span is too narrow.

How many injuries were there in the 90's before players were turned in to fine tuned endurance running machines?

I can't think of one positive factor that has arisen from this aspect of football, all it has done is elevated players who did not otherwise have the requisite skills to play the game at the highest level, solely due to their cardio genetics.
Yeah agree. You might have a ruckman, key forward, key back back, nippy FP. Everyone else is an interchangeable 6'2 15km per game runner. Exaggeration on that, but those 90s fox footy replays are pretty jarring.

.......................and I do chuckle at those types who run with the "don't change the rules, let the game evolve at it's own pace" mantra.

The guaranteed certainty that comes with evolution is that species become extinct and new species arise.

The species we all grew up knowing as "Australian Rules Football" is on a fast track to extinction.

Wait till Clarkson has another whinge about something that didn’t go his way or another coach cries about a certain players treatment and the weekly rule interpretation will be just that. A rule of the week

Wait till Clarkson has another whinge about something that didn’t go his way or another coach cries about a certain players treatment and the weekly rule interpretation will be just that. A rule of the week

He takes advantage of an already compromised and manipulative media (umpiring anyone?) in order to advance his causes.

That bed was already putrified when he hopped in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back