Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wacko Jacko is more famous, but I reckon that has more to do with his legendary stage presence and a private life that made Prince's look sane by comparison.

I went through Prince's discography 4-5 months ago and outside his greatest hits I found it a little underwhelming considering he had a lot of output and different style of albums to go through.

Usually you find little gems spread out on albums that don't make a great bands/artists greatest hits compilation, but I found virtually nothing with Prince.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
For The Benefit of Mr. Kite was pretty silly, but pretty fun to swirl around to way back when.

That ultra psychedelic section 2/3rd’s the way through is one of their most interesting moments.

I tend to swing back and forth in my enjoyment of the album, but the more I listen to it the more subtle things I take out.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I personally love his distinctive voice and his phrasing, but it's the lyricism, and to a lesser extent, the music, that does it for me. His voice has gone through a few changes over the years too. The nasal whine has been replaced by a gravelly growl over the last few years and it fits him like a glove.

From his remarkable new album:

They're not my favourite act but I do admire and respect what they created. You might be surprised if you give some of their albums a fresh listen. To my ears, there's no children's music when I hear Revolver, Rubber Soul, The White Album or Abbey Road.

I went through Dylans best hits and maybe I don't get it (His style, lyrics etc) but I really only liked Everybody must get stoned. I don't think it's the voice because I quite like Bob Geldof. relistening to his song Don't like Mondays, it has a lot of complexity and varying style to it. Back on Dylan, I absolutely hate Hurricane. For years I was forced to listen to 102.3 in Adelaide and thought that was his only hit.

Maybe someone can sell Dylan to me so I can get what you're on about

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
I went through Dylans best hits and maybe I don't get it (His style, lyrics etc) but I really only liked Everybody must get stoned. I don't think it's the voice because I quite like Bob Geldof. relistening to his song Don't like Mondays, it has a lot of complexity and varying style to it. Back on Dylan, I absolutely hate Hurricane. For years I was forced to listen to 102.3 in Adelaide and thought that was his only hit.

Maybe someone can sell Dylan to me so I can get what you're on about
I've had enough of "Hurricane" too, for the same reason as you and I love The Bob.

He can be an acquired taste for some people and not everybody gets it. He did change the face of rock music. Forget about any best of or greatest hits albums, check out Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited, or maybe Blonde On Blonde.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've had enough of "Hurricane" too, for the same reason as you and I love The Bob.

He can be an acquired taste for some people and not everybody gets it. He did change the face of rock music. Forget about any best of or greatest hits albums, check out Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited, or maybe Blonde On Blonde.
I'll give it a go. Not sure if I have it though.

I know there are a few bands I love that everyone seems to hate.

Editors
Soft Cell
The National

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'll give it a go. Not sure if I have it though.

I know there are a few bands I love that everyone seems to hate.

Editors

Frustrating band, I liked their early albums with guitar and then they went into a new direction that I lost all interest with them.

I actually liked 'in this light...' but everything after that I have not.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

This seems ok, and I like the cover. Worthy of the wall

Attachments

• 1596256477487812804042.jpg
    1596256477487812804042.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 71

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's one of his lesser known and lesser albums, IMHO.
Found this album in the collection, sounds great. So why the * do they keep flogging Hurricane.

Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Found this album in the collection, sounds great. So why the fu** do they keep flogging Hurricane.
That's a brilliant album. It leaves "Hurricane" for dead, as far as I'm concerned. "Hurricane" is on the album that followed Blood On The Tracks.

Part of the reason that "Hurricane" gets such a continual push is the true story of the subject matter and the subsequent film that was made decades later. Look, it's a good song, but it wouldn't get anywhere near my Bob top 50.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Slowed down acoustic covers have become such a dreary cliche that they've lost all affect, the boring ones that add nothing to songs, only take things away, drag the rest down with them.

100%.

Compromises the song to the extreme, and I just find the cover artist ends up trying so hard to sound sincere that the performance itself feels artificial.

There’s few artists that can actually strip a song down and make it sound decent.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
100%.

Compromises the song to the extreme, and I just find the cover artist ends up trying so hard to sound sincere that the performance itself feels artificial.

There’s few artists that can actually strip a song down and make it sound decent.

Could not agree more re: Artificial performance.

And the admiration doesn't go both ways, ie, toward covers the might speed things up and make it electric. There is Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower and that's it a reckon?

Also the power of the juxtaposition of some songs with heavy lyrics against pop beats is lost when it becomes a somber ballad, something that goes completely over the covering artist's heads.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I'm going through the Beatles songs and the only ones I'm liking are those by Harrison. I reckon he's the best beatle.
He wrote some great ones but I think Lennon consistently wrote the best songs.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I like the Stone Roses second album.
Second Coming has an album's worth of strong material, it just suffers from being way longer (79min) than it warrants. In the digital age you can just refine it into a killer LP-length playlist like this:

1 - Breaking into Heaven
2 - Ten Storey Love Song
3 - Tears
4 - Love Spreads
5 - Driving South
6 - Begging You
7 - Daybreak

Total length: 45min (33.5min put aside)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back