Dallas Mavericks thread: Luka MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel bad for being fairweather and drifting in and out of watching games over the years, but looking forward to seeing them finish off the season strong.

Full disclosure, recently got gamepass so didn't watch the start of the season, is the season to date above expectations?

Feel bad for being fairweather and drifting in and out of watching games over the years, but looking forward to seeing them finish off the season strong.

Full disclosure, recently got gamepass so didn't watch the start of the season, is the season to date above expectations?
I would say it's about par, depending how this series goes.

We finished 7th mostly off Luka's improvement from last year. Kristaps was up and down in the early season but he started putting it together before covid hit. The chemistry between him and Luka has been slowly building. There was a stretch where Luka was injured and KP had to shoulder a bigger load which gave him some confidence. I don't think it's fully there yet between them but it's definitely getting there.

Tim Hardaway has been excellent once we re-trained him to stop trying to create his own shot so much. In more of a catch and shoot role, he's been good as a 3rd scorer. Dwight Powell was slowly building form coming back from a pre season injury and was getting back to his best when he got re-injured so that was a shame. We miss him. We've had solid contributions from role players throughout the season; Curry, Kleber, Finney Smith. Brunson was our ball handler off the bench so we also miss him, but getting Trey Burke was a master stroke for the bubble to replace that role.

I'd say the only underperformer has been Delon Wright who I think we had pretty high hopes for after getting him into the team this year. He does some good things but also makes quite a few mistakes. I don't think Carlisle trusts him that much.

In terms of team performance, I'd say the biggest issues have been an over reliance on Luka and not being able to close out games. We choked away several games through the season.... lack of experience could have been causing that.

Most were expecting us to get smashed by LAC as they belted us in the season and have 2 big wings in George and Leonard who we can't really stop. Luckily George has been a non factor. The fight the team has shown has been impressive, coming back from big deficits in 2 games. We never really showed that during the year.

If we can win this series, it's definitely above expectations IMO.

I would say it's about par, depending how this series goes.

We finished 7th mostly off Luka's improvement from last year. Kristaps was up and down in the early season but he started putting it together before covid hit. The chemistry between him and Luka has been slowly building. There was a stretch where Luka was injured and KP had to shoulder a bigger load which gave him some confidence. I don't think it's fully there yet between them but it's definitely getting there.

Tim Hardaway has been excellent once we re-trained him to stop trying to create his own shot so much. In more of a catch and shoot role, he's been good as a 3rd scorer. Dwight Powell was slowly building form coming back from a pre season injury and was getting back to his best when he got re-injured so that was a shame. We miss him. We've had solid contributions from role players throughout the season; Curry, Kleber, Finney Smith. Brunson was our ball handler off the bench so we also miss him, but getting Trey Burke was a master stroke for the bubble to replace that role.

I'd say the only underperformer has been Delon Wright who I think we had pretty high hopes for after getting him into the team this year. He does some good things but also makes quite a few mistakes. I don't think Carlisle trusts him that much.

In terms of team performance, I'd say the biggest issues have been an over reliance on Luka and not being able to close out games. We choked away several games through the season.... lack of experience could have been causing that.

Most were expecting us to get smashed by LAC as they belted us in the season and have 2 big wings in George and Leonard who we can't really stop. Luckily George has been a non factor. The fight the team has shown has been impressive, coming back from big deficits in 2 games. We never really showed that during the year.

If we can win this series, it's definitely above expectations IMO.

great summary of the season 👍

I think taking 2 games off the Clippers was above expectations...above mine, anyways

given that we’ll have 2 starters (KP, Powell) and a backup PG to return to the team that played games 4, 5 and 6; I don’t think we need to do anything crazy this offseason...maybe Crowder for the MLE (about $10m)?

maybe Wright, Jackson and a pick for a 3-and-D wing worth about the same?

otherwise the Mavs should stand pat and only grab any short-term bargains on offer in free agency (i.e. inflated one-year deals with team options for a 2nd year)

I think Courtney Lee for vet minimum is an option, maybe Wes comes back for one last crack with Dallas 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, it should only be an ‘incremental improvement’ off-season to let the team form organically around Luka 😎

great summary of the season 👍

I think taking 2 games off the Clippers was above expectations...above mine, anyways

given that we’ll have 2 starters (KP, Powell) and a backup PG to return to the team that played games 4, 5 and 6; I don’t think we need to do anything crazy this offseason...maybe Crowder for the MLE (about $10m)?

maybe Wright, Jackson and a pick for a 3-and-D wing worth about the same?

otherwise the Mavs should stand pat and only grab any short-term bargains on offer in free agency (i.e. inflated one-year deals with team options for a 2nd year)

I think Courtney Lee for vet minimum is an option, maybe Wes comes back for one last crack with Dallas 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, it should only be an ‘incremental improvement’ off-season to let the team form organically around Luka 😎
yeah I agree with only incremental improvement. I'd be shoppin Wright around pretty heavily, don't think he gels with Luka.

Wright excelled with Memphis as the main ball handler. Not happening here. He just disapoears too often. They might salary dump him to keep Trey Burke.

2021 FA is the focus. Dont believe those Chris Paul stuff.

his defence is solid - v good even - and his 3-pt % was career high (37-38% from memory yet he just couldn’t crack the rotation...Rick is harsh on PGs at first though so perhaps another offseason helps him gain Rick’s trust and help him bounce back...his salary v potential production is likely to make him part of any trade Dallas consider making...

Interesting off season coming up. Over the cap so only have exceptions to offer.

Lots of good players on mid size contracts. They make trading for a massive contract easier (Paul? BEAL?). Kleber, Boban, Powell, DFS are handy players on cheap deals.

Tim Hardaway has a player option for 19m. Does he push for an extension of maybe 60m/4 years?

The team will prioritise 2021 cap space. They're currently about 37m in space. That will be offered to Giannis, or if not him then Beal/Kawhi etc.

Im pretty sure the team will look to dump Delon Wright to open ip space for Trey Burke and make a run at Harrell (depending on his market).

if I had to guess, pretty quiet off-season coming up.

Interesting off season coming up. Over the cap so only have exceptions to offer.

Lots of good players on mid size contracts. They make trading for a massive contract easier (Paul? BEAL?). Kleber, Boban, Powell, DFS are handy players on cheap deals.

Tim Hardaway has a player option for 19m. Does he push for an extension of maybe 60m/4 years?

The team will prioritise 2021 cap space. They're currently about 37m in space. That will be offered to Giannis, or if not him then Beal/Kawhi etc.

Im pretty sure the team will look to dump Delon Wright to open ip space for Trey Burke and make a run at Harrell (depending on his market).

if I had to guess, pretty quiet off-season coming up.

Can we build more pieces around Luka to challenge for the chip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back