Autopsy Rd 9 - If only games went for 1 quarter aka Still the Hawks bunnies

Bluesome

Team Captain
Oct 3, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Amazing the different stories you hear. Heard Liddell wanted butler, sos not so much. According to a friend of sos anyway.

The point of the story I think is don’t present third hand rumour as fact unless you can back it up in a pretty strong way...[/QUOTE]

Jun 3, 2018
I'm in the glovebox
AFL Club
Carlton
Because of sooks like Cripps and Docherty who drove the Teague Train narrative.
Did we even pick up the phone and give Ratts a ring?
Now Teague feels indebted to all his supporters on the playing list. Massive conflict of interest
Tail.Wagging.Dog.

Comments around this 29th post please pretzel.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Because of sooks like Cripps and Docherty who drove the Teague Train narrative.
Did we even pick up the phone and give Ratts a ring?
Now Teague feels indebted to all his supporters on the playing list. Massive conflict of interest
Tail.Wagging.Dog.
Is that the Teague train narrative that has us as a mid table squad rather than a wooden spooner? That narrative? The one where we are a better football side with a reasonable run of success and one shocking performance?

That narrative? C’mon man we’re talking about narrative man, narrative, not a game not the game, narrative?

Bluesome

Team Captain
Oct 3, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Point of my post is there are many Conflicting rumours our there. I’m happy with who I heard mine from.

you weren’t the problem...you said that you heard a certain rumour...

the post you were responding too not so much...

TheReal99prelim

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree completely that the club should have interviewed Ratts and it pissed me off that they didn’t, however how the fu** can you sit there and call Cripps and Doc sooks do you even watch our team play? That is the most stridently petulant and disrespectful comment I’ve heard and I suggest you think before you write as that is just plain wrong and frankly stupid.

Thanks for your advice. I'll treat it with the disdain and contempt it deserves

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Thanks for your advice. I'll treat it with the disdain and contempt it deserves
1596281163112.png

BlueView

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Oh it's serious alright. No process followed and the players openly pushing for Teague. Judd had to retract his statement about trainer wheels etc
Tommy Bell might go alright off the field, We’ve done you a service with Phillips. Your a proper jaded man spending your night in here. Good too see

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Hmmm...

I'd say what we stand for - at present - is breakneck footy and marking, because that's what we do. This leads to scoring, but so too does it lead to being scored against when it comes awry.

ETET's comment above is extremely pertinent here. We actually need games like yesterdays game, almost as much as we need games like the losses against Port and Melbourne and the win against Nth. We need our players to learn what it is to fight when your colours have been lowered. Weitering's got it, Cripps - despite him having PLENTY to work on from the game - has it, Walsh has it. The key here is we need to avoid what I'm going to call doing a Melbourne: going from poor to contender without the inbetween, when you have to learn to scrap and to fight against like sides. They just clicked for two years, and because the lessons weren't learned they broke when their form did.

Ultimately, we do need to make decisions about the makeup of the list. I do not want Murphy on it as more than depth; I do not want Simpson on it as more than depth; I want Ed's role decreased in terms of distributing; I want Marchbank to replace Jones because someone offered a low second round pick for him; I want Eddie to be phased out for Honey or Owies. We need to replace some of our coaching with defensive talent; Amos is supposedly extremely good, but the others I'd question. I'd be getting into Ross Lyon's ear and asking him to be senior assistant to Teague, with the goal of the position being compromise; how can you attack the way we do without completely murdering ourselves on turnover?

I think the emphasis on head coach is all very well, but the line coaches have played key roles in 6 of the last 7 flags; Caracella at Richmond, Ratts at Hawthorn, Mitchell at WC. We desperately need to look at this, as this is a key part of our setup that requires improvement.
We've got ex-senior coach Barker in the box?

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I had to laugh at Jordan Lewis commentating when Cripps received a free for blatantly being held off the ball right near the end of the game. Nice work by Nick Riewoldt putting his biased arse back in it's place

Hudson: That was the free. Mitchell bringing him down according to the umpire.

Lewis: There's probably an argument either way with the replay, you could see both players sort of tugging on each other's jumpers. But certainly after the news last week, and the vision last week of Paddy Cripps, that was always going to be paid a free kick to Paddy Cripps.

Riewoldt: Yeah, especially when his back' s turned. As Mitchell's was on that occasion.

BlueView

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I had to laugh at Jordan Lewis commentating when Cripps received a free for blatantly being held off the ball right near the end of the game. Nice work by Nick Riewoldt putting his biased arse back in it's place

Hudson: That was the free. Mitchell bringing him down according to the umpire.

Lewis: There's probably an argument either way with the replay, you could see both players sort of tugging on each other's jumpers. But certainly after the news last week, and the vision last week of Paddy Cripps, that was always going to be paid a free kick to Paddy Cripps.

Riewoldt: Yeah, especially when his back' s turned. As Mitchell's was on that occasion.
I had a laugh when I saw Jordan Lewis’s polkodot socks

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Btw everyone bagging Cripps for multiple decision errors in second. First of them sure he made an error- but he hand balled to a wide open doc who had a heap fo targets and Doc kicked the ground FFS.

Second error to call for it from McKay just dumb Cripps. SLOW DOWN.

The criticism of Cripps has been well over the top, but I thought it was pretty clear last night that, we had a captain who was feeling the pressure, felt he needed to do it himself and it was this that let his team mates down in a few instances. There is nothing wrong with calling it out and I’m sure he will look at his game in the review and hopefully it’s something he can work on.

At least he’s having a crack

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
The criticism of Cripps has been well over the top, but I thought it was pretty clear last night that, we had a captain who was feeling the pressure, felt he needed to do it himself and it was this that let his team mates down in a few instances. There is nothing wrong with calling it out and I’m sure he will look at his game in the review and hopefully it’s something he can work on.

At least he’s having a crack
Knew he had to try to lift the side but, doesn’t yet have the runs on the board to know how to do it. He will get there.
He is having one of those years that all the greats have, a bit down on his best but will provide the fodder for future motivation and growth. Changed his body for more speed yet he is hand passing at an all time high clip, Diesel style. Be who you are, Skippa!

Hodge nailed it on radio. For all Simpsons experience and that includes Cripps, Docherty, Jones, Murphy and the other senior players none have been in winnable games enough that they have the experience to know what to do.

Cripps will never make those mistakes again but he had to go through it. As Hodge said when your constantly 30 points down for years and years you can pretty much do what you want but now we are in games we have no idea what to do.

The question is, should we letting Simpson and Murphy learn or should that learning go to a younger player that will be able to use it for the club for years and years?
Wow

Back