Autopsy vs Crows - Round 9 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide are deplorable as it comes, that being said, we were just looking a lot better regardless of the opposition. We faded away a bit at the 3rd quarter for the majority but the group got back into it down to the final siren from there, the first half was some really strong footy. We used the corridor, got overlap runs going, a lot of tackles laid, the pressure was up, we didn't go down the line long as every option and our handball movement at times was absurdly good in heavy traffic while still maintaining the run.

This style of play would've rolled over the Blues last week, easily. At times it was just good footy no matter which way you sliced it and the margin shows, I expected a win due to how poor Adelaide are but I only expected about a 20 point win, this was a real statement from the group and there were no passengers.

The game Goldstein, Anderson and McDonald played was absolutely absurd, they were fantastic.

Whatever Shaw had in mind, it's paid off, he didn't want to field a best 22, he wanted to field a group that needed to be tested without the help of Polec and without relying on Brown at every turn, and it paid off. Larkey was quiet until the 4th but the presence he brings to our forward line at ground level, in the air and in a marking contest makes me think he is our number 1 forward, and Zurhaar really seems to shine off of that. Pittard seems to be playing the Turner role and he looked a lot more comfortable today, shows he can kick some real snags and brings pressure. Could say just about anything about every player out there today, it seemed like everyone featured and had some moments that make me think the rebuild we're cooking isn't as long as people make it out to be, there's the genuine talent within this side. Really the only observable downer was Simpkin even then it's not a big complaint, just seemed like he just wasn't having as good of a day as he was hoping.

Have faith in Shaw, we don't know what's going on in that bald head of his.

The best thing about Jasper is his little “feint” move that he pulls off when he’s up and about. One thing Shaw needs to really drill into the team is to avoid, at all costs, trying to play cute football. That’s what derailed us later in the third quarter. In reality, we should/could have won by 100 points the way we were travelling.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aaron Hall has played a pretty solid month of football. Has been in our best 5 or 6 over that time frame. Clueless comment.

Your comment is clueless.

Aaron Hall, Jamie MacMillan and Shaun Atley all played good games because the pressure is off, the season is over.

This is what frauds do.

Even Jed was hitting targets ffs

The fact is, pointless wins over the last 2 years have cost us Rankine and a King. Doing it this year is of course the stupidest thing for us long term.

29 year old hacks taking us nowhere, beating up on witches hats does it for you, does it?

Talk about setting the bar low.

Last edited:
A magnificent Saturday arvo at the footy.

Singing our victory song with gusto. Waiting at the end of the game with the Qld faithful to cheer the lads from the ground & salute the mighty Maj.

Wanted the lads to give us a wave and almost turned into a blubbering mess when Maj did a jig & with a huge grin and gave us the fist pump of victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are better than 17th. Not quite top 8 (yet) but definitely not bottom 2. Melbourne will fall in a heap and we will still most likely end up with a top 4 pick from them at least.
People underestimate the impact that winning and building confidence has on the group as a whole.

******* garbage.

We have heard that nonsense for years.
We actually have a s**t culture, a culture of accepting mediocrity and incompetence. A pathetic culture of rolling over when it gets tough and getting blown apart in finals. That is the Shinboner Spirit, soft meaningless wins When the season is shot and embarrassed in finals.

Take the ******* picks, North, you ******* idiots.

******* garbage.

We have heard that nonsense for years.
We actually have a sh*t culture, a culture of accepting mediocrity and incompetence. A pathetic culture of rolling over when it gets tough and getting blown apart in finals. That is the Shinboner Spirit, soft meaningless wins When the season is shot and embarrassed in finals.

Take the ******* picks, North, you ******* idiots.
Geeze you're a real pleasure to have around to celebrate a win huh? We put out a team yesterday with plenty of kids, lacking brown, polec, ziebell, cunnington, pre-game I thought those selections (polec, brown) were showing we were trying to tank against the bottom side. I think it'd be a negative to tell the kids that we're trying to develop into our next premiership side, to deliberately play worse than they can.

Do I think on the back of yesterday we can achieve anything meaningful in terms of finals or premiership this year? No. But I also don't think we could have managed to find any way to lose against that rabble in a way that would have avoided us accusations of tanking and potential sanctions. And the positive of getting some confidence into the kids is probably a better net result.

Don't worry, geelong will probably still comfortably beat us on Wednesday, and you can still have your favoured result.

Geeze you're a real pleasure to have around to celebrate a win huh? We put out a team yesterday with plenty of kids, lacking brown, polec, ziebell, cunnington, pre-game I thought those selections (polec, brown) were showing we were trying to tank against the bottom side. I think it'd be a negative to tell the kids that we're trying to develop into our next premiership side, to deliberately play worse than they can.

Do I think on the back of yesterday we can achieve anything meaningful in terms of finals or premiership this year? No. But I also don't think we could have managed to find any way to lose against that rabble in a way that would have avoided us accusations of tanking and potential sanctions. And the positive of getting some confidence into the kids is probably a better net result.

Don't worry, geelong will probably still comfortably beat us on Wednesday, and you can still have your favoured result.

Exactly right.

You put 22 blokes on the park and they try their hardest to win. No elite athlete goes out there with one eye on losing - their contract value and entire career depends on it.

Exactly right.

You put 22 blokes on the park and they try their hardest to win. No elite athlete goes out there with one eye on losing - their contract value and entire career depends on it.

Celebrate what mate?

I didn’t watch a second of it.

Happy for Maj, Luke and LDU, but meaningless wins that are detrimental to our future are going to be called out.

A magnificent Saturday arvo at the footy.

Singing our victory song with gusto. Waiting at the end of the game with the Qld faithful to cheer the lads from the ground & salute the mighty Maj.

Wanted the lads to give us a wave and almost turned into a blubbering mess when Maj did a jig & with a huge grin and gave us the fist pump of victory.
i am so jealous! Being at Maj's return game was what I am sure we all would have done everything to be at. Being in QLD with next to no crowd was probably less overwhelming for Maj though. So seeing him so happy made me happy :)

Last edited:
GIF? What about a video on replay?

Hall was balls to the wind amazing in that play. Was already looking for the goal before the kick in was even half way to him and played it perfectly. You can see why we persist, he had a special game and when it works for him it really works.

BTW that was a s**t ton of goals in a shortened game. Adelaide were a dead set shambles, even when they had chances to really punish us with the game completely open they managed to fluff it up. Something has to give over there surely.

Last edited:
A couple of comments for anyone who wishes we’d lost yesterday.

First, Adelaide were as bad as I’ve seen a team play. At least you knew GC and GWS had talent even if they were being outmuscled. Crows played with no skill, no confidence and no fight. North couldn’t have lost that game without pulling tanking tricks so obvious they’d have seen us fined and banned from the draft.

Second, the players aren’t doing this for us or our draft dreams. I exchanged texts with Jack Mahoney’s mum yesterday and suffice to say he wouldn’t have thrown away his first goals and first win, after a lifelong dream of playing AFL, because a couple of Bigfooty numpties decided a loss would have been for the greater good. These guys have their careers on the line. Six losses takes Ben Brown from one of the league’s top forwards to a guy dropped from the team sitting 17th. What does a season of losses do for any of them, whether in or out of contract. Pull your heads in. They are playing professional sport to the best of their ability and we pay for the pleasure of watching them do it. Enjoy it or choose not to but yesterday they had the chance to do well what they love to do and are paid to do - and to share it with a teammate who 18 months ago might not have walked again.

It’s not the first step to a flag but if it is a step towards them regaining some confidence and belief that can only be a good thing. Draft pick stars plus no belief and you are down for a decade or more like Carlton or Melbourne. And if it’s just one fun day, then honestly - especially now - that can’t be a bad thing either.

It's always nice to win and to score that many goals was fun considering the last few weeks. But my god Adelaide are in absolute shambles. We were running circles around them and our accuracy was mainly due to the fact that most of our goals were right in front.

But fu** them. I hate the Crows and they've had the wood over us for 20 years. Today was a good day.
Not really. We kicked them from everywhere and just had a day where they came off. I agree this can be a little misleading though - we didn’t take many speculative or desperate or off-balance shots, they were pretty much all lined up.
03DC67C5-A155-42E2-9540-7ECDBA51A2D1.jpeg

Celebrate what mate?

I didn’t watch a second of it.

Happy for Maj, Luke and LDU, but meaningless wins that are detrimental to our future are going to be called out.
Well you missed some good, entertaining footy, regardless of the dumpster-fire-being-run-over-by-a-sh*t-truck opposition.

People aren't celebrating like we won a flag but the fact that we played watchable, free flowing footy for the first time in ages (thanks for providing unfettered access to to corridor, Crows 👍).

Unless we literally laid down and played dead, it just wasn't possible to have lost yesterday. Accordingly, we took the opportunity to put the foot down and enjoy some quality match sim.

I think we're still well on target for a haul of high draft picks. The Handbaggers will likely bring us back to Earth on Wednesday and we may beat the GoDees the following week but that's basically a case of shuffling our own deck when it comes to draft picks. Outside of that, depending on where we play the Dockers, we're not in huge danger of getting on a run and finishing ninth.

Last edited:
A couple of comments for anyone who wishes we’d lost yesterday.

First, Adelaide were as bad as I’ve seen a team play. At least you knew GC and GWS had talent even if they were being outmuscled. Crows played with no skill, no confidence and no fight. North couldn’t have lost that game without pulling tanking tricks so obvious they’d have seen us fined and banned from the draft.

Second, the players aren’t doing this for us or our draft dreams. I exchanged texts with Jack Mahoney’s mum yesterday and suffice to say he wouldn’t have thrown away his first goals and first win, after a lifelong dream of playing AFL, because a couple of Bigfooty numpties decided a loss would have been for the greater good. These guys have their careers on the line. Six losses takes Ben Brown from one of the league’s top forwards to a guy dropped from the team sitting 17th. What does a season of losses do for any of them, whether in or out of contract. Pull your heads in. They are playing professional sport to the best of their ability and we pay for the pleasure of watching them do it. Enjoy it or choose not to but yesterday they had the chance to do well what they love to do and are paid to do - and to share it with a teammate who 18 months ago might not have walked again.

It’s not the first step to a flag but if it is a step towards them regaining some confidence and belief that can only be a good thing. Draft pick stars plus no belief and you are down for a decade or more like Carlton or Melbourne. And if it’s just one fun day, then honestly - especially now - that can’t be a bad thing either.

Well said Hearts. Thank you. You are always such a wise sage on here.

And tell young Jack's mum we're proud of him - a lot of focus was on Maj last night, and rightly so, but I for one was over the moon to see the youngest player in the AFL kick two beautiful goals for us.

Said it before, and I'll keep saying it - our future is VERY bright, and it's happening right now. Go our Mighty Roos!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back