Review Grose, Bullshite & Useless v Kangaroos 2020...

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the sentiment but he airs dirty laundry he ruins his career post AFC. He would never get a job at a football club again.
His saving grace this year is that everyone can see that he's got a preassembled team who are the most incompetent bunch of coaches/administration ever employed at the same time.
He needs freedom to make his own choices but that's not how AFC rolls. They're a money making corporate entity that exists for profit not premierships.

Then he needs to start subtlety airing his frustrations in the media. It's his neck on the line. Fagan, Chapman, Roo, Clarke, Reilly etc etc have/will survive multiple coaches.

This whole thing is troubling me. A lot.
OK, we're bad. Certainly the worst-performing side of 2020 --- bottom, lousy %, using some kids --- but how can we be SO bad, especially since the bye last year, when many of the Senior players have been AA and played in a GF (some, multiple Finals series)?? Watching those players bumble and fumble and not run to space, not run both ways, not chase, not do the one-%ers is depressing.
How did their attitudes and skill levels get so bad, from the levels of 2017 to now?

I get the same answers:
--- poor fitness (Hass/Burton)
--- disunity, low team spirit (multiple reasons)
--- poor coaching (especially mids and forwards set-up, who should be as good as if not better than they were in 2017), from which I conclude that Hart and Godden are useless.
Still waiting for Nicks to show something, too.
You are right. There is no single solution to our problems. And when we make a change to ‘A’ , we need to stick with it for a bit so when we change ‘B’ and ‘C’ we give it time for it to all come together.

Makes me feel sad knowing our incompetence is burning the prime years of some people who were / should be great players.

Dont expect anything but fairybread and happy times - sure there will be ''brows furrowed in concern'' but thats a front

The brows will be furrowed in concern over getting more than 13,000 to attend a Wednesday night match after that shambles

Watch the media bombardment from the club

''happy happy place , fun times ''

Phrases you can expect to hear - take a drink for each one

' We expect certain standards'
' That was un-Adelaide like'
' Players have been warned'
'Its a real happy place still'
'Players are in this 100%'
'Expect us to come out firing'

'We know the pain our supporters are feeling'

I’m starting to have little faith in Nicks, our game plan us shocking. How many times did I see North open in the middle? Even if we had the ball there was no players inside 50.

Our team is way too tall and we look so slow.If he doesn’t show some balls in selection process, he won’t last long at all.

When we lost Pyke, I wish we went all out on Ratten.

Laird, Seedsman and ROB had a crack.
McAdam is gonna be a gem.
Lynch needs to stay closer to home and impact the scoreboard
I'm happy Ben Keays is going well - seen a lot of Lions games up here and he never got a fair shake.

I agree you need to cash in on Crouch x 2 and Talia.

Try to get Hately back to SA.

Add some young SA talent and start again.

We'll give you Francis and Orazio.

But Roo and the board need to go FIRST.
Grabbing Fantasia is like recruiting Gibbs 4 years too late. He'll become a list clogger, his main asset is pace and he's always having leg problems.

I really liked what I saw from young McAdam and I thought O'Brien battled on hard.

We're probably 18-24 months ahead of the crows with a rebuild, so I would encourage crows fans to hold fast, your club is doing the right thing right now, and by late 2022, early 2023 you will start to see the future taking good shape. Our kids yesterday are going to be your kids in 2023.

I get that this is foreign for Crows fans as the club has never really bottomed out and undertaken a proper root & branch rebuild, but I have seen three of these and they all resulted in the club returning to be a contender or a premiership side.

A short term bumpy road is ahead, so hold on for the ride. Good luck.

Last edited:
In all fairness Nicks deserves at least one trade period, another preseason, a chance to get who he wants in the box and a year without Wuhan Virus restrictions before he can be judged..
He inherited a shocking list devoid of hunger, shocking coaches box and a poorly run club.
The quicker we get rid of the damaged senior players the better..
Is anyone surprised this is happening? We were s**t last year and were playing a lot of inexperienced players. You don’t get to play kids and expect them to win games with all the other crap going on..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nicks says 'I'm never going to get angry at a player' Jesus christ we have a softie in charge. Maybe he will cuddle them back to form.

We are in big strife.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
If that's what he says it means he's blaming himself, which means he's not the man for the job.

Bed around 0230, awake again (4 months of 2020 insomnia), aching from arthritis/oldness just before 0600, mind churning with Biz slump, C-19, and the bloody Crows.
:confounded:
Thought back to:
--- Round 10, 2018, when the 91-point hammering from Melb. in the Alice was a standout loss, like yesterday, like PA this year, terrible.
--- the 2017 PF, which was their last truly great win vs. Geelong, the last time they played with obvious passion, flair, pride and real mongrel.
Then other losses tumbled in, from post-bye last year; insipid losses to PA whose supporters must be joyous (I know how I'd feel if the situations were reversed --- glowing with schadenfreude). The rot or rust started growing in the weeks before the GF, really showing on the most important game-day for the Crows since 1998 when they blew it.
It's been downhill since. I'm guessing, but I reckon graphs of every KPI and scores since then would prove that.

Also this --- that we are most definitely the worst side this year and probably the worst for the last 19 rounds. Worse than the GCS, Carlton and other consistent, dispirited losers. This 2020 bizarro-version of the Crows is the worst side assembled, playing the worst football of any Crows team that I can remember, with the worst Administration and least effective Assistant Coaches too.
If that's not depressing enough, we're coached by an apparently-clueless rookie who appealed so strongly to Roo because everybody Roo spoke to loved Nicks. Top Bloke. The man everybody likes.
*stopping for a moment to rub my eyes and forehead*
Where is the improvement/redemption going to come from? Can anybody see it? From Nicks, who cannot see that playing Hamill on a wing to accommodate over-the-hill Mackay/Gibbs is a terrible non-plan? Cannot see that Godden has stuffed up our mids' combos and actual play, rendering our overworked defence under siege week-after-week? Cannot see that defending the man is totally ineffective and does not get the ball in Crows' hands, which is the starting point for all effective play?
Nicksy, please tell them to attack/get the ball, and if the other mob have the ball, get it off them. That was Blighty's starting point, and look what happened.

Where's the future --- in slightly-framed boys like Jones (Pick #9 ffs, and under-developed relative to his peers from that Draft) whom Nicks continues to play out of position? Or McAsey who looks like he's counting not the days but the minutes before he can leave? McHenry, who huffs'n'puffs but ain't blowing any AFL houses down? Strachan/Himmelberg, who are built like a preying mantis but play like overwhelmed schoolboys-versus-men?
As Sanders said much more succinctly than the above tired rant, WE SUCK, and the Crows' future sucks. Another poster (Peter J ) predicted maybe 5-8 years in the bottom-4 wilderness with some more wooden spoons to make a set that we can frame and display as the legacy of Chapman/Roo et al. With bone-aching and mind-numbing disappointment, I agree.
What a mess!

Thanks to list mismanagement and continuity we dont have that important mid tier group of players, essentially under 50 gamers or over 150 gamers.

Big shoutout to Fagan for gifting us the absolute worst footy department in the land. This coaching group is a diabolical.

Any reference to AFC's high performance team is just an oxymoron.

Easy to look back at that draft with hindsight, but we could have 2 of Duursma, Hately, Butters, Caldwell instead of Chayce and Ned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really liked what I saw from young McAdam and I thought O'Brien battled on hard.

We're probably 18-24 months ahead of the crows with a rebuild, so I would encourage crows fans to hold fast, your club is doing the right thing right now, and by late 2022, early 2023 you will start to see the future taking good shape. Our kids yesterday are going to be your kids in 2023.

I get that this is foreign for Crows fans as the club has never really bottomed out and undertaken a proper root & branch rebuild, but I have seen three of these and they all resulted in the club returning to be a contender or a premiership side.

A short term bumpy road is ahead, so hold on for the ride. Good luck.

What? By playing senior list cloggers who likely won't be there next year, and in doing so are forcing young player to play out of position, coupled with shocking fitness, and admin staff that have assembled what is easily the worst coaching panel in the AFL?

No, we are very much not doing the right thing.

Thanks to list mismanagement and continuity we dont have that important mid tier group of players, essentially under 50 gamers or over 150 gamers.

Big shoutout to Fagan for gifting us the absolute worst footy department in the land. This coaching group is a diabolical.

Any reference to AFC's high performance team is just an oxymoron.

Easy to look back at that draft with hindsight, but we could have 2 of Duursma, Hately, Butters, Caldwell instead of Chayce and Ned.
The first bit of what you say is absolutely correct, but it makes the last bit redundant. We could've chosen Walsh, Bailey Smith or Rankine and the result would be marginally different for all the correct reasons you've listen.

Could you imagine an already injury prone Caldwell in our setup ?? He would need his leg amputated

What? By playing senior list cloggers who likely won't be there next year, and in doing so are forcing young player to play out of position, coupled with shocking fitness, and admin staff that have assembled what is easily the worst coaching panel in the AFL?

No, we are very much not doing the right thing.

I don't think you have much choice at the moment mate.

I get your impatience, but take it from a supporter who has been through this process before, this is really just starting out. It's going to be a hard couple of years, regardless of who is running things.

North will get belted on Wednesday night, but I m not overly concerned because I know the tables will be turned around in 2 years time.

Someone needs to pay for putting this list together.
Nothing wrong with the list, two years in .....yes missing a quality Ruckman, ROB isn't the answer as #1 Ruck

But you had so much experimentation going on yesterday .....the players could see it too, that the club wasn't playing to win .....so they responded accordingly

Strachan, Gibbs, Kelly, Knight gonesky .......surely there can't be any argument now about the fact Matt Crouch simply has to be jettisoned ASAP ......that play where the North guy ran away laughing at Matt was truly embarrassing AND Typical

Poholke we can say has had his papers stamped

But lets look at the positives;
1. I liked seeing Laird in the middle, it's where he played B4 being recruited

2. Two weeks having Stengle for periods in the midfield ......IF he could get fit enough, elite in close qtrs & escaping stoppages.

3. McAsey, McPherson, Hamill, McAdam all positive additions

4. Have faith in Jones, Ned, and Milera .....they'll come good

Goes without saying, our midfield simply makes the rest of our team look worse than they are .......fix that first, the Crows have always had elite midfields ....except since Roo / Goody retired

nicks, roo, hart, godden, fagan, chapman all need to go.. heads need to roll this week.

and suck sh*t to the lot of them for being so ******* deluded to think gibbs, knight and atkins were the answer...

******* club will not go anywhere with these deadshits in charge.
Do you actually think we were trying to win this game LOL ......it was treated as a trial match ....the outrage by the club & coach simply to appease supporters

If that doesn't answer some questions on some players nothing will, reset the rebuild, Red Stamp a handful of players "DO NOT PLAY EVER"

Break out the Schoenberg, Scholl and Worrrell, Bring back the FOG and never speak of this game again.
Lol. This is AFC. No matter how many times you think we must have reached this point we are actually not even close. Many on this board have been calling for Mackays card to be stamped since mid 2015. He has played 90 more games since then.

I expect the likes of Gibbs and Mackay to play another 20-30 games between them in the next few years. I will be amazed if they finally don’t renew DMacs contract at the end of this year.

Our fitness needs to be sorted first. 3/4 of our list are overweight and unfit for professional football. North simply just ran over us as we wilted under the sun. Not a single player was decent today.
This is absolutely true ......but with so many kids, obviously not up to AFL fitness year 1 ......and the addition of a huge gap between R1 and R2 ......it's pretty obvious that this team would struggle for fitness

The gap will get worse now with 4 day breaks .......not the clubs fault, the Covid simply came at the wrong time for a club with so much youth on the rebuild

I know we can run through any number of players, but my goodness Jones was sh...t again. 1 handpass in the 2nd half.

He’s rubbish at the moment and needs to get back to scratch matches and work it out.

And if you want @ me for singling him out, sorry, he’s pick 9 in a super draft in his 2nd season. He’s being gifted games, thoroughly undeserving of selection, but still can’t grasp it.

I’m not calling it, but right now he appears to have no clue how to football.
My take on Jones is ..his body shape has changed so much in 12 months, added muscle & weight

Not sure he's adjusted to his new body yet .......give him another PS, I'm confident he'll be a great player for us

If you recalled the 2018 draft now he’d barely make the top 20.
To be fair neither would Hately or Caldwell.

I feel sorry for any kid coming into our system right now, there just isn't anything for them to work with.

You said earlier someone needed to pay for the list build, they absolutely do not just for building it, but the "all in one" destroying they did to it. Imagine we moved Jacobs, Douglas, Mackay and CEY in 2018, and then did what we did last year with the others. I mean Dave is still there !!

Instead we did it all in one season. That and the long contracts we are stuck with.

We then bone most of our development staff and left an out his depth midfield coach.

Hamish NEEDS to nail the next draft, he's probably never going to have a better hand. But he's probably the least of our concerns in that regard, whilst still being under the microscope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back