Preview Round 11 Carlton vs West Coast @ Optus Stadium Sunday 9th August 3.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we've proven 1 qtr won't get the job done - doesn't take rocket science does it

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
I hope we can replicate the same attitude we took down to Geelong.

It will never change, even when we are a finals side. Whipping boys will always be the first targeted
He's not a whipping boy to me. He's just a bad player. 6 touches at 67% efficiency. 2 of those were goals so out of his 4 touches around the ground only 2 were effective.

Let that sink in, 2 effective touches around the ground out of 85% TOG.

His role isn't to kick goals so while those goals were good, they should be a bonus to compliment the rest of his game. If you're not doing your job in the team then your position in the team comes into question.

What actual evidence does anyone have to say he deserves to hold his spot outside of the irrelevant "he kicked 2 goals" and the uniformed "others were worse"?

Last edited:
not really ins and outs but I think cunners needs ti get moved on the ball. Too much class which we are wasting in forward pocket. hes not even a pressure forward. Also take Sps out of defence, I like him as a player but clearly he is not a defender. and finally I know its harsh but I think if ed Curnow isn't doing a tagging job he can be a detriment to our team, his ball use is really poor. And get murph in the forward line, worst thing is when he gets isolated in a 1 on 1 happening too many times.

Pittonet will have his hands full. NikNat’s athleticism, tap work and their clearance setups are the best in the league. I’m not sure we can match or null this and hence expect a huge problem, as the game is won and lost in the midfield. Our midfield setup coaches will need to have some plans laid out for our midfield to follow. Is our coaching and playing group good enough?

I feel we can match them in every other position, other than Liam Ryan. He is a dynamic player who will need one of our best lock down jobs. Who do we assign, given they also have three big forwards and hence my man Plowman would be busy with Allan?

Pittonet will have his hands full. NikNat’s athleticism, tap work and their clearance setups are the best in the league. I’m not sure we can match or null this and hence expect a huge problem, as the game is won and lost in the midfield. Our midfield setup coaches will need to have some plans laid out for our midfield to follow. Is our coaching and playing group good enough?

I feel we can match them in every other position, other than Liam Ryan. He is a dynamic player who will need one of our best lock down jobs. Who do we assign, given they also have three big forwards and hence my man Plowman would be busy with Allan?
willo goes to ryan. no other choice.

Out: Cunners Kennedy Moore
In: Honey Fish TDK

Cunners
Shown glimmers of hope but can’t get his hands on it in that HF role. If they aren’t going to give him more mid time it’s his turn to go back to the reserves and earn his spot.

Kennedy + Moore Both try hard and I’m still hopeful for Kennedy but getting the vibes they are both good VFL players who can’t bring the same performances in the AFL. So really just depth players who cover for injury.

Honey has shown a good goal sense so may excel in the HF role better then Cunners. Fish is quality and needs to get back in the team at some stage while TDK offers more then Moore both in the ruck and up forward.

LR tore us a new one last year. Maybe a job for Mr Cottrell, welcome aboard son.
Small forwards and that we kept kicking to the wrong McGovern (don’t think Mitch was playing either) did us no favours.

We had 4 goals scored by our HBF in Newman.

Some of our younger guys look tired and need a rest in Cunners Willo and SPS. Whilst Cunners is not that young in an age sense he is in terms of games and in particular consecutive games and id imagine this current run is as many as he’s played in a row and you could see the way his body was bandage up and in terms of impact that he needs a freshen up/ rest. I’d assume that’s why he didn’t push up on to the ball vs hawks as we clearly needed his run.

Willo, again he’s missed a truck load of footy in recent years and over the last 3 weeks he looks like he’s been injured ‘in game’ every week, so his body could do with a rest and his impact has been down in the past 2 weeks in particular.

SPS I think the match committee either have to play him in the middle / wing or give him a rest, mentality looks like battling and some of efforts vs hawks highlighted he wasn’t quite in the moment like he should be.

changes:

outs: Cunners, SPS, Willo, Moore

Ins: fish, LOB, Honey, Gov (If fit)

I was watching the the WCE game last night. As they were getting ready for the first bounce in the last quarter Nic Nat was running side to side, bouncing around like a boxer, looking at Geelong’s ruckman. Very intimidating, so it’s not just his ruck work we need to worry about, he has that presence.

OUT: Moore, Kennedy, Newnes
IN: McGovern, JSOS, Fisher

FB: Plowman Jones Simpson
HB: Docherty Weitering SPS
C: Walsh E.Curnow Murphy
HF: Cuningham Casboult Martin
FF: McGovern McKay Betts

R: Pittonet Cripps Setterfield

Int: JSOS, Gibbons, Williamson, Fisher

EMG: TDK, Honey, O'Brien, Newnes

Can't really afford to lose any run and disposal into the forward line, but can't afford to keep players who can't execute one of those things on a remotely consistent basis.
Newnes is a top 5 endurance athlete at the club. Are you saying he doesn’t provide run?

Newnes, ryan covers alot of k's. He gets down in backline to help out.

He's not a whipping boy to me. He's just a bad player. 6 touches at 67% efficiency. 2 of those were goals so out of his 4 touches around the ground only 2 were effective.

His role isn't to kick goals so while those goals were good, they should be a bonus to compliment the rest of his game. If you're not doing your job in the team then your position in the team comes into question.

What actual evidence does anyone have to say he deserves to hold his spot outside of the irrelevant "he kicked 2 goals" and the uniformed "others were worse"?
evidence - you'd watch a building collapse but refuse to believe it happened until someone could prove how gravity worked - I'll take a couple of goals every day of the week - if his "evidence" remains the same and he stops hitting the scoreboard, then he'll need to be re-assessed.........

There is absolutely no ambiguity on this. Nicknat will destroy Pitto at centre bounces. Pitto’s biggest weakness is his leap.

There is a solution. Not a very difficult one. Play TDk. He has a huge leap. Have him take as many centre bounces as possible. He has an outside chance of limiting Nicknat. Let Pitto deal with Nicknat at boundary throw ins and around the ground.

I don’t find any of this to be very difficult. Moore is an abject failure as a trial and needs to be replaced.

This is ‘bleeding obvious’ time. I dearly hope Teague doesn’t ignore it. Play TDK. Have him attend centre bounces. Like...the first one. There’s just no doubt on this. If he doesn’t Nicknat will break the competition record for hitouts to advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it matters how much leap TDK has, to send him into a NN cauldron would be too much. This young man is no Carl Ditterich. Whilst I don't believe the match-up would "destroy" him as some might suggest, I reckon it could damage his confidence. I love the idea of him forward and perhaps taking a bit of the ruck but NN is back to his best and I would hesitate to throw a young fella into that grinder.

evidence - you'd watch a building collapse but refuse to believe it happened until someone could prove how gravity worked - I'll take a couple of goals every day of the week - if his "evidence" remains the same and he stops hitting the scoreboard, then he'll need to be re-assessed.........
So 2 effective touches around the ground is acceptable as long and he downhill skis and snags a couple of goals when the rest of the team is on fire. Medicoricy plagues the club and the fans clearly.

View attachment 925174
Who exactly are you talking about thats more experienced that produced more than Newnes?
6 touches in a wing/HF role. You know why he's not playing in the middle also? He's not good enough.
Maybe not but whilst he keeps kicking 1-2 goals every game and the options are hardly “belting the door down” (or injured) he will hang on to his spot.

Not sure it matters how much leap TDK has, to send him into a NN cauldron would be too much. This young man is no Carl Ditterich. Whilst I don't believe the match-up would "destroy" him as some might suggest, I reckon it could damage his confidence. I love the idea of him forward and perhaps taking a bit of the ruck but NN is back to his best and I would hesitate to throw a young fella into that grinder.

Not even with an ill-timed Twitter release of gameday notes but this time saying how good NN is. False dawn and TDK jumps all over him.

LR tore us a new one last year. Maybe a job for Mr Cottrell, welcome aboard son.
Small forwards and that we kept kicking to the wrong McGovern (don’t think Mitch was playing either) did us no favours.

We had 4 goals scored by our HBF in Newman.

The more I think of it, Cottrell coming in for Moore to play across HB makes plenty of sense, with SPS coming into the midfield. Then we move Kennedy to half forward to replace Moore and swap the roles of Cuners and Murphy and for just the one change we can change the dynamic of the team.

Do you think it's possible that the midfield getting annihilated after quarter time had something to do with that?

Setterfield 8 touches, Kennedy 11 and Walsh 12 touches?

We were smashing them in contested possessions in the first quarter and we ended up losing by 11. That's a solid beating in itself but to get to that number from being up 10 in 1st quarter means we were down 20+ for the rest of the game which is disastrous. The outside players like newnes, SPS, cunginham, murphy etc are largely at the mercy of our mids winning the contested ball in the trenches.

The trend I see is that our midfield largely rises and falls with how pittonet plays. Not good going into a game against Nic Nat this week.

Newnes is a top 5 endurance athlete at the club. Are you saying he doesn’t provide run?
I'm suggesting his ability to create worthwhile forward entries is lacking, and would prefer Fisher. I recognise it's not like for like, but right now we don't seem to have the ability to maintain possession and consistently move the ball forward.

The opposition ramps up their pressure, and despite his endurance numbers Newnes doesn't really react quickly in open play, particularly in the defensive half (which appears to be a big part of his role). There were a few instances where he might as well have been a witches hat on Friday night, and he couldn't catch a cold after the first quarter.

Respect that not everyone is going to capitalise as readily when they get the outside ball at forward line stoppage, but we're talking maybe 1 less goal there, versus at least a couple more created by putting high-level disposers into the side.

I didn't want to get into it with you about Player Rankings last time we discussed Newnes, but I feel Champion Data has been ******* up their metrics for a long, long time, particularly with regard to movement to defensive position and an individual's speed (and success) of ball movement. Player performance is not properly captured by their modelling right now, so I don't have much regard for it as a true indicator of such things.

So you are highlighting one game where so many of our players struggled after half time? Perhaps consider the whole year and compare it to others that are getting a regular game

You do realise that Newnes's name has been mentioned as an out every week, yeah?

There are a few others that should be in the gun before guys like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back