News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The security firm thing was an absolute farce, definitely. That really made Andrews look bad, and it would’ve been great if he took responsibility rather than deflecting the blame to those few idiots who thought the rules didn’t apply to them.

I just wish the government had the guts to pull the trigger on a more authoritarian response. As soon as cases start hitting the 100s in a day, bring in stage 4 restrictions, only go out for food and essential work, shut everything else. Chuck rule breakers in jail, station army personnel at all hotspot areas, ban people in those areas from going out at all. People’s ‘rights‘ shouldn’t mean sh*t when there’s a national health crisis. I don’t think that any moderate government would have the guts to do that though, thanks to the stupid individualist, ‘muh freedom’ outlook which has taken over society.

So, going back to your point about new leadership, a different government in power would be different from the current one only in that that godawful security firm decision wouldn’t have been made. Which would be a huge benefit, likely decreasing our case numbers by a few thousand, but I think you’re overstating the differences between what this government has done and what another one would do instead in regards to those other things (Masks, contact tracing, etc.) The only real possible difference that could’ve been made would have been an authoritarian response, and neither Labor nor the Libs would have had the guts to do that.
All good points.

I am not thinking a new government here - the election is 2 years away - but rather what we are potentially seeing now - new leadership via a committee of experts, feds and state leaders - all working together.

btw I did think of one good thing Andrews has done since April - the immediate lockdown of the Housing Commission flats - he acted quickly - not so much in a number of other areas.

Anyway footy about to start!

All good points.

I am not thinking a new government here - the election is 2 years away - but rather what we are potentially seeing now - new leadership via a committee of experts, feds and state leaders - all working together.

btw I did think of one good thing Andrews has done since April - the immediate lockdown of the Housing Commission flats - he acted quickly - not so much in a number of other areas.

Anyway footy about to start!
Ah, so that's what you meant in regards to the leadership thing. In that case I completely agree. Cooperation between the states and Feds is vital. And expertise is invaluable as well, which an alarming number of people (if you could call conspiracy theorists that) seem to be forgetting. As for the footy, I don't think I can bring myself to watch. This is exactly the type of game where we completely and utterly s**t the bed.

Everyone ready for New Zealand style lockdown for 6 weeks as of Wednesday. Might have to go down to JB & buy myself the premiership pack .

Victoria is expected to go into the highest level of coronavirus lockdown since the COVID-19 crisis hit Australia – Stage 4 restrictions – in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
An announcement on the new level of restrictions aimed at halting Victoria’s spiralling coronavirus infection and death rates is expected on Sunday.

Victoria’s dramatic collapse on coronavirus is threatening any national economic recovery and led to Victorians being blocked from travelling to other parts of Australia.
The tough new restrictions, similar to the New Zealand lockdown preventing movement and business, are expected to last for another six weeks and would close all but essential businesses and send high school students back to learning from home.

The Morrison Government’s whole Budget strategy announced just two weeks ago was based on the assumption the Victorian Stage 3 lockdown would be lifted in just six weeks.

Under the NZ lockdown rules supermarkets and chemists will remain open but restaurants and cafes will be restricted to take away service only.

Under the NZ rules only one person from a family can go to a supermarket at a time and movements are limited to within 5km of home.

Public transport will be severely limited but exercise will be allowed with the existing rules on wearing a mask.

During the 48 hours since Thursday both Daniel Andrews and Scott Morrison have indicated higher restrictions may be necessary in Victoria as “unknown” sources of COVID-19 infections have grown and undermined attempts to trace and contact infected people.

Victoria’s death toll has climbed exponentially in recent days and the infections ate is estimated to soar beyond all other Australian states and territories as well as a number of overseas sites.

The final decision on the move to Stage 4 restrictions is the sole responsibility of the Victorian Government and the timing of the decision and its announcement are in the hands of the Premier.

Political circles in Victoria came alive on Saturday night with the speculation and expectation of a move to Stage 4 next week and The Australian understands an announcement is likely on Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missus Toes had a Zoom meeting with her pharmacy’s work colleagues early tonight during which a leading doctor from Monash Hospital informed them that their hospital had received official government correspondence telling them to prepare for stage 4 immediately.

Insert “its happening.gif”, according to them anyway.

Missus Toes had a Zoom meeting with her pharmacy’s work colleagues early tonight during which a leading doctor from Monash Hospital informed them that their hospital had received official government correspondence telling them to prepare for stage 4 immediately.

Insert “its happening.gif”, according to them anyway.

Looks like it's going to be in some modified form though; not an all-out shutdown. If the below is true, there is gonna be a fair bit of confusion and companies are still going to take advantage of grey areas for their own benefit. The office I work in technically doesn't fit into any of the below (but FFS I should be at home imo):

Here are the changes David Speers understands will be announced for Victoria today
The Insiders host says he expects further restrictions will be announced impacting:
  • Call centres
  • Retail
  • Abattoirs
  • Restaurants and cafes will reportedly be allowed to offer takeaway, with strict contactless service provisions
  • Trains and trams will reportedly still run, but Uber and taxi services will reportedly be restricted
  • Tougher restrictions expected outside of metropolitan Melbourne

He said crowding spreads the disease. Didn't want to comment about how government should control protests.

He wasn’t asked how the govt should limit protesting. He was asked should the govt try and limit protesting. The only answer to that question, from the perspective of reducing virus spread, is yes.

For political reasons he didn’t give the only scientifically acceptable answer.

It’s pretty obvious.

He wasn’t asked how the govt should limit protesting. He was asked should the govt try and limit protesting. The only answer to that question, from the perspective of reducing virus spread, is yes.

For political reasons he didn’t give the only scientifically acceptable answer.

It’s pretty obvious.
Funny the question wasnt about political rallies though isnt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back