Rising Star 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably came down to one of those 'body of work' decisions. Both were good but it was probably the entirety of the 7 v 2 games that clinched it.
I reckon that comes into the judges thinking.

Probably came down to one of those 'body of work' decisions. Both were good but it was probably the entirety of the 7 v 2 games that clinched it.

If we are getting to the stage of body of work so far during the season, Hayden Young should be close to getting the chocolates.

But it's fine for that attitude to have been there for the last decade at Richmond, Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton? Where would any of those lists be without GWS and Gold Coast?

I for one am thrilled Gold Coast seem to have got things in order and these players are signing up now. Dewie's a good egg.

I think this is a bit disingenious re Richmond. We've only taken Prestia and Lynch, Prestia was after 6 years and we paid a fair price, and Lynch we waited for free agency.

But it's fine for that attitude to have been there for the last decade at Richmond, Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton? Where would any of those lists be without GWS and Gold Coast?

I for one am thrilled Gold Coast seem to have got things in order and these players are signing up now. Dewie's a good egg.

How does GWS and GC not coming into the comp prevent these teams from getting those players? Their lists would probably be better off because they would have gotten better players in the draft. WC finished dead last the year before GC got in, relegating our first pick to 4th. In hindsight, we got Gaff instead of Swallow. So it worked out, but if that was a Rowell type of pick, we would have been pisssed.

I'm not weighing into this with an actual opinion, but wanted to add that you also got the ability to pre-list Budarick (who was 1st round quality) and now Davies this year (who looks top 10 quality). That's essentially two extra 1st rounders, plus the 2020 Pick 11 which you traded off so you could grab Sharp
Whilst I don't know where the recruiters rated him, most draft watchers rankings I saw had Budarick in the 30-45 range not top 18.

Also Caddy via a pitstop

Agreed, but we didnt get him from Gold Coast, we also got Miles and Townsend from GWS but I think they were both DFA's.

Mainpoint was its not like Richmond have been sweating on 2nd, 3rd or 4th year players from the exapnsion clubs. Having siad that I think we are within our rights to go hard for Tom Green from GWS and I hope we do.

Agreed, but we didnt get him from Gold Coast, we also got Miles and Townsend from GWS but I think they were both DFA's.

Mainpoint was its not like Richmond have been sweating on 2nd, 3rd or 4th year players from the exapnsion clubs. Having siad that I think we are within our rights to go hard for Tom Green from GWS and I hope we do.
Tom had extended until 2023

Future Gun player is Caleb Serong. Carlton and SOS were very keen on him before Freo gazzumped us.

If he plays for the rest of the season, he should finish in the top 5.

I know things don't look great for Freo right now, but they do have some really exciting young talent.

Future Gun player is Caleb Serong. Carlton and SOS were very keen on him before Freo gazzumped us.

If he plays for the rest of the season, he should finish in the top 5.

I know things don't look great for Freo right now, but they do have some really exciting young talent.
I think that they are clearly on an upswing and have some great young players coming through. They had a some early picks that look good.

Brayshaw and Cerra starting to become handy and look like being pretty good

Serong, Young and Henry from last draft is looking like a terrific haul
Sturt, Valente and Shultz (although an overager) from the draft between those are pretty handy (or better)

They'll have an early selection this year to add in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flabbergasted if Georgiadies doesn't get it this week. Just an electric performance too good to ignore
it was a better individual performance by Georgiadies, but king did have rampe on him all game and kicked 3, while georgiadies took Oscar macdonald

Georgiades was better this week but King will probably get the 'body of work' nomination, and fair enough too. Amazing that he hasn't been nominated yet.
the body of work thing is so so strange, it defeats the entire purpose of a weekly nomination. The only time it should be slightly considered if a week comes up with no good stand out performances.

Georgiades was better this week but King will probably get the 'body of work' nomination, and fair enough too. Amazing that he hasn't been nominated yet.
King has had some good games but has not had the "breakout" style game.

Georgiades should get it as King should have a game where he kicks a bag this year.

it was a better individual performance by Georgiadies, but king did have rampe on him all game and kicked 3, while georgiadies took Oscar macdonald

I am a big wrap for King, but to be fair, I didn't watch that game. Wouldn't mind King getting the nomination then.

because they were getting flogged and it is really difficult to build a squad without assistance, they didnt get enough help at they beginning. We got a little more.
They got more then enough draft concessions at the beginning to be competitive there was just a lot of other things the club got wrong very poor facilities an inexperienced first coach poor assistants and development coaches there marquee man Ablett while a great player was a terrible leader same for most of the experienced players they had looks like there slowly starting to turn things around now !

the body of work thing is so so strange, it defeats the entire purpose of a weekly nomination. The only time it should be slightly considered if a week comes up with no good stand out performances.
The award really should just be first year player of any age voted for at the end of the season without needing weekly 'nominations'.

Tim Kelly was clearly the best first year player in 2018 but was not eligible. He's already an AA and he's only just turned 26 this year.

Similarly King and Rankine have had a year of development, both coaching and strengthening inside the AFL system and probably don't deserve to be eligible for a rookie award. Rowell in 2021 having played games should definitely not be eligible for a rookie award and someone like Constable, who's been in the system for 3 years now and had already played half the season last year shouldn't be either.

I'd give it to either Serong or Anderson at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back