World Series ODI Classic Matches On FOX!

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Moody with 51 off 44 balls shows how it should be done!

Obviously a bit biased here, but what might have happened if Big Tom had received the sort of opportunities at Test level the Waughs did (as opposed to being jammed in as an opener and number three) remains one of the more under appreciated what-might-have-been stories of Australian cricket IMO.

Perth 1992 was the only chance he got to bat at 5 and 6; he hit 50 and 101.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Obviously a bit biased here, but what might have happened if Big Tom had received the sort of opportunities at Test level the Waughs did (as opposed to being jammed in as an opener and number three) remains one of the more under appreciated what-might-have-been stories of Australian cricket IMO.

Perth 1992 was the only chance he got to bat at 5 and 6; he hit 50 and 101.
True, remember finding on old magazine from the time where Ian Chappell was saying he deserved selection in the Test side over Mark Waugh for the summer. In saying that he was probably a tad fortunate to be in the ODI side in the late 90s. I mean he was quite handy with the ball playing a role there and in a Steve Waugh interview he said he was a bit of a 'lieutenant' of his for leadership in the side, but tbh was a bit of a dud with the bat. Given the incredible strength and depth of Australian cricket, on paper at least a bit lucky to get a run.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
he was a good offsider and a reasonable bowler in his own right. Listening to warne talk about him you’d think he was Murali
Also remember reading a Warne interview early 90s where he talked about bowling with him, was peppered with "Maysie" and me all the way through it.

Or was that me and "Maysie"?

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've enjoyed watching them. I was watching a match from the 1995-96 season and one of the Sri Lankan top order batsmen had a strike rate of 68. Bill Lawry described that as ''good''. How times have changed over the last 25 years.

Sri Lanka beat Australia at the MCG in 1995 chasing down 243. Arjuna Ranatunga's run out embarrassing. Glenn McGrath's 10 overs went for 76 in that game. I doubt he was that expensive ever again.

On another note, the test series between England and Pakistan starts on Wednesday night. I'm not holding my breath that Fox will show it sadly.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I've enjoyed watching them. I was watching a match from the 1995-96 season and one of the Sri Lankan top order batsmen had a strike rate of 68. Bill Lawry described that as ''good''. How times have changed over the last 25 years.

Sri Lanka beat Australia at the MCG in 1995 chasing down 243. Arjuna Ranatunga's run out embarrassing. Glenn McGrath's 10 overs went for 76 in that game. I doubt he was that expensive ever again.

On another note, the test series between England and Pakistan starts on Wednesday night. I'm not holding my breath that Fox will show it sadly.

that mcg odi was, as much as Mark Greatbatch in 92 gave us a glimpse into the future, the night the game changed forever. Kaluwitharana going bonkers was amazing to watch for a kid who’d grown up on Boon and Haynes and Gooch etc at the top of the order

SleazySimon

Club Legend
May 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Who’s been enjoying watching all the old classic highlights matches of The World Series ODI’s from the 80’s and 90’s? Bringing back a lot of memories and nostalgia. ODI‘s will never be that good again! A big shame. :(

love watching the old West Indies teams boy they had some big names and some big boys too lol Richards, Ambros, Walsh, Garner, Richardson, Marshall.. the names were just amazing with that team.

Can’t forget Dean Jones he would just tear bowlers apart back then and was also my favourite player along with Sir. Viv growing up. loved watching them play. Viv so cool and confident chewing the gum while smashing it and Deano was cool and collected no nonsense stuff.

what an era.
So much better than the t20 crap now days. One thing that stands out is the amount of run outs - happened way more often I think it adds to the entertainment

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
So much better than the t20 crap now days. One thing that stands out is the amount of run outs - happened way more often I think it adds to the entertainment
Interesting observation.. Maybe the boundary ropes has something to do with it now, grounds look smaller fielders are much closer infield hence Batsmans don't have that fouls since of security.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj

Yeah haven't seen anything about it being on, fox look for every chance to save a few bucks so they are probably gauging how upset people will be if they don't buy the rights, if enough complain they buy it if not we miss out it's crazy we have to have a protest campaign just to get them to cover international cricket.

Oliver09

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
berwick
AFL Club
Essendon
that mcg odi was, as much as Mark Greatbatch in 92 gave us a glimpse into the future, the night the game changed forever. Kaluwitharana going bonkers was amazing to watch for a kid who’d grown up on Boon and Haynes and Gooch etc at the top of the order
I was there that night. It was funny that everyone talks about Jayasaria being the original thrashing opener but it was Kaluwitharana who hit his straps first. He was a beautiful batsman to watch. By the World Cup straight after the tri series in Australia Jayasaria was in the better form but strangely enough niether of them really fired a shot in the semi or final for Sri Lanka despite them winning the tournament.

And your right about openers before these two, watching Marsh bat was bloody awful and I never understood why he was such a fixture in both the test and odi teams. Slater not ever getting and extended run in the odi team is one of the great mysteries of cricket. He was made for it.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I was there that night. It was funny that everyone talks about Jayasaria being the original thrashing opener but it was Kaluwitharana who hit his straps first. He was a beautiful batsman to watch. By the World Cup straight after the tri series in Australia Jayasaria was in the better form but strangely enough niether of them really fired a shot in the semi or final for Sri Lanka despite them winning the tournament.

And your right about openers before these two, watching Marsh bat was bloody awful and I never understood why he was such a fixture in both the test and odi teams. Slater not ever getting and extended run in the odi team is one of the great mysteries of cricket. He was made for it.

slater’s problem was that his test speed was his maximum. So his strike rate looked great in tests but didn’t really lift much. His list A record was ordinary too.

kalu was actually a very accomplished Test batsman before he became what we remember today. Scored a great century against Warne in 1992 from memory

Oliver09

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
berwick
AFL Club
Essendon
slater’s problem was that his test speed was his maximum. So his strike rate looked great in tests but didn’t really lift much. His list A record was ordinary too.

kalu was actually a very accomplished Test batsman before he became what we remember today. Scored a great century against Warne in 1992 from memory
Not sure if that's right. I remember his first odi v SA and he went berserk. I had never seen anything like it from an Australian opener in an odi until that point. Simpson was still coach and it was all very methodical, steady as she goes cricket. He never got an extended run at it and from memory even after the innings I mentioned he was dropped after another 3 or 4 games. Seem to remember a lot of rubbish mentioned like ODIs would affect his test cricket too much.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure if that's right. I remember his first odi v SA and he went berserk. I had never seen anything like it from an Australian opener in an odi until that point. Simpson was still coach and it was all very methodical, steady as she goes cricket. He never got an extended run at it and from memory even after the innings I mentioned he was dropped after another 3 or 4 games. Seem to remember a lot of rubbish mentioned like ODIs would affect his test cricket too much.

his strike rate was about 60. He did have a great start but in 40-odd games he never got past 73 or something. It was odd that he didn’t really make the jump but also worth remembering that one opening spot was already taken by Mark Waugh which was a departure from the test team, and less than 3 years after Slater’s debut, Gilchrist locked down the other opening spot

Back